Conventional Fixtures How big is a 6" cut of gel?

Dimensions of a 6" cut of gel ?

• 6"x6", duh.

• 6.25"x6.25"

• 7.5"x7.5"

• Other (please specify...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
@JJBerman, oh for heaven's sake.

Asked whether it was coincidence that three different men found the same sort of issue with lumber first at Menards and then at Home Depot, and then all decided to go to McGuire Law, Turin said he couldn’t comment.
“It’s kind of attorney-client privilege in terms of how the clients were retained, and the circumstances of our retainer of them,” he said. “They did freely come to us.”

Uhh huh...

There's a lot of legacy and anachronism in theatrical terms, which I generally support. In fact, I still like to call out RoscoluX gel with an x (x99, x05) to differentiate from Roscolene. Which is a totally useless practice and just confuses people, but I like the history. Calling a 7.5" x 7.5" gel a 6" cut (to fit an instrument with a 6" lens but 7.5" gel frame) made some sense before the development of the S4, with a 6.25" gel frame, that practically holds a 6" piece of gel. Heck, when I first started using S4s, we labeled the barrels as 6x9, 6x12, etc. to fit with the Altman system. Took a while to adopt the beam angle nomenclature. So I support hanging onto the old system, even if it does actually confuse matters. We're all just going to have to clarify the standards in every house.

On a pratical note, I cut gels for S4s at 6" square, because most gel sheets are 20x24, so I get 12 per instead of 9. And I know I'll get outrage, but when using Lee Filters which are 21x24, I cut gels for 7.5" frames at 7" for the same reason. The horror!

Now should we talk about 2x4s and 24' trucks?
Talking about being anachronistic @kicknargel , you probably still refer to gels as gels even though they haven't made genuine gels in ages. (And, overall, that's turned out to be a good thing.) [if only they still made Cinemoid #8 and Roscolene 827]
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

On a pratical note, I cut gels for S4s at 6" square, because most gel sheets are 20x24, so I get 12 per instead of 9. And I know I'll get outrage, but when using Lee Filters which are 21x24, I cut gels for 7.5" frames at 7" for the same reason. The horror!

Now should we talk about 2x4s and 24' trucks?

How well do those 7" cuts stay in Source 4 PAR frames?

Attachments

• IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Back