Design How do i figure out the size of my school auditorium?

zmanb

Me and the other tech heads at my high school have decided to try using the student edition of vectorworks. How do i find out the size of my schools auditorium? And the catwalks location and dimmers and all that? Is there a place online I would be able to find my high schools layout? I want to be able to make an accurate, to scale, light plot. And we are also going to try designing the set and everything with this. What should i do. Please help. Thanks!

EDIT: It opened it 1987

Last edited:
Me and the other tech heads at my high school have decided to try using the student edition of vectorworks. How do i find out the size of my schools auditorium? And the catwalks location and dimmers and all that? Is there a place online I would be able to find my high schools layout? I want to be able to make an accurate, to scale, light plot. And we are also going to try designing the set and everything with this. What should i do. Please help. Thanks!

How old is the building?

Talk to your facilities staff (head janitor, etc). See if they have drawings of the building.

You might have to spend a weekend measuring the room yourself....

You have to make it from scratch, or maybe try contacting the original architect for their CAD files if they aren't protected.

Seeing as you sound new to VW, you might want to check out Nemetschek's website for some tutorials

Your district probably kept the blueprints -- I would ask a facilities operations person if copies of the drawings are available.

When I tried the same thing at my high school, I found that the blueprints didn't exactly match what was built- "as-built" drawings after the project is done are expensive and seen as unnecessary, I guess...

Hopefully there's detail of the sound and lighting systems, which may have changed over time.

I did discover some nifty alternate plans in my attempt- a shop twice as big as the admittedly already big shop. The drawing marked "school tunnel system alteration plan" in the table of contents was omitted from the blueprints I got, though...

I did this for my school, fortunately the theatre was finished about 8 years ago, and the architect was nice enough to let me copy his autocad file!

If you're using an ETC System, the company who installed it, or the company who installed the sound system may be able to put you in touch with the groundplan also.

Even if you can get ahold of blueprints, I find it's easier to just measure yourself. I do a lot of design work in smaller, non-professional theatres such as high schools where I might only get one or two visits to the venue before load-in, and there's nothing worse than finding out that the battens are actually 4' shorter than you anticipated. It really doesn't take very long to do a complete measuring job. Find a friend (two would be best - one to help you measure and one to record measurements) and grab a couple 100' measuring tapes. If I plan the measuring in advance and work efficiently, I can usually get an entire space measured and photographed in less than a half hour. Onstage measurements are most important - the obvious ones such as proscenium height and width and stage depth are important, but also don't forget the less obvious numbers such as exact placement (measured US/DS) of each batten, batten length, low and high batten trim, apron size, sightline seats (if needed), wall to wall space (SL to SR), and so on. For FOH measures, I generally just drop tape from each FOH position and measure the throw to DSC while just making a rough guess at the angle, although for more involved productions, you may need to measure the height and width independently to determine the angle of the frontlight. Even if the venue's plans (assuming you get any) turn out to be correct, by measuring yourself, you've confirmed all the numbers, and you have a much more thorough understanding of the spacial relationships of the space.

I would also recommend bringing along a digital camera and taking numerous snapshots of the venue. There are some things which just can't be easily discerned by a measurement alone, and photographs provide a visual reference when you can't get in to see the space. They can also help jog your memory about potential issues you may have noticed but forgotten about. They seem to work best when you put a person or other object in the frame, to provide a size reference for the rest of the shot. In this age of digital photograhy, taking photos costs nothing more than the cost of batteries, so shoot as many shots as you have time for - you never know when that accidental photo of your shoes might prove invaluable when you discover that you forgot to write down the color and material of the stage floor.

EDIT: It opened it 1987

You measure it. Pure, simple easy.

Remeber your plaster and center lines....measure them first....work from there.

Yeah I agree that I wouldn't 100% trust the drawings if it's an old building especially. I found that my high school space with renovations and all, I really couldn't trust what was drawn. I drafted in the incorrect plans, and then measured the important distances (lighting positions, stage dimensions, etc) by hand, and wiggled it in the incorrect drawings such that the important stuff is on target, and everything I don't need is close.

For measuring long distances a laser range meter like (Hilti Laser Range Meter Pd 4 - 202415 at The Home Depot) is the only way to go. They're not cheap, but if there's a large sound company in your area see if you can rent one from them (if Home Depot doesn't rent them). They are used every day by sound co's for calculating line array dispersion angles.

Ditto. I have a Stanley, found on e-bay for about $75. Use it all the time. Tape measures suck unless you're outdoors. Then a laser is more difficult because you need something for the beam to reflect off of, and most of the lasers for this type of product aren't bright enough to be visible in sunlight.

Steve Shelley's book, A Practical Guide to Stage Lighting, Second Edition, goes into extensive detail on conducting a site survey. Once complete, consider creating a Venue Tech Info Packet.

I've had my new copy of the second edition lying around for the past few weeks as I haven't had time to actually crack it open. Last night I finally found a few minutes and quickly looked through to see what was new. His "Define the Performance Facility" section is brilliant!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back