How do I fix this?

manders11

Hey guys,
I have a question. Today I burnt a cd off my laptop, I took it out after it finished burning and put it back in my laptop and it worked and into my sisters laptop and it also worked but, when i went to play it in my cars cd player I got nothing. I was wondering if there was an explanation for this, is it my burner, the cd drive in my moms cars, or something else? If anyone could help me out that would be great! I find it frustrating but also interesting...
Thanks
Manders :)

What might have happened is you burned it in data mode. So instead of a format that normal (non computer) CD players can read it put the Mp3 data on it instead. If you burn using windows try using Windows Media Player or WinAmp to burn your CD as they will help guide you through the process also choosing Audio CD instead of MP3 CD would be a wise choice.

Oh! I see I went on itunes and just pressed burn and it started burning so i thought it should work. I will try on windows media player next time!

Hold on a little longer here. There are few other things to consider.

1st) iTunes does give you the option to burn a "data" music CD, and even an "MP3" CD I believe, however this is not the default. I burn regular audio CDs unless you tell it to do so other wise.

2nd) Make sure that you are using a CD-R, and not a CD-RW or a DVD.

3rd) How old is the CD player in your mom's car? CD players that were common around the time burners were becoming popular for the average joe were known to have problems reading burned CD (I have know idea why), especially those in cars/trucks.

4th) Cheap media (as a cheap CD-R) can cause errors, especially with older players. The brands I buy are Verbatim or TDK, and Memorex if I am in a pinch. Ridata is another good brand, but I have only seen them sold online.

Hope this helps.

Make sure your CD has been "closed" or "finalized". If not, it will work in a computer but not in most CD players.

also if the Cd player is older, or your media is the "inexpensive" sort. Burn at a slow speed. PC's error correct badly written data better then dedicated Music CD players. I'd recommend Burning at 2x/4x MAX for any kind of consumer level CD Playback. If you end up playing your CD's on Denon Pro line or Tascam Cd players they are pretty good now-a-days of error correcting. Still though your burner might be able to do 32x but 2x and 4x is much better if you have the 10-15 minutes to wait.

Make sure your CD has been "closed" or "finalized". If not, it will work in a computer but not in most CD players.

+1 This was our biggest problem when I worked in the theatre department at my college. CD's and DVD's weren't finalized, and wouldn't play in players. They were fine on computers though.

A problem that I have run into over a number of years, but not very often is: When burning just one song on a CD, it often won't play on some of the older equipment or boom boxes. We have that problem when people auditioning bring in a CD with a single song. The solution is to record the same song over and over until you have filled a good portion of the CD.

Always burn at the slowest possible speed (or at least no more than 4x). On some burning software, one has to hunt around to find the option to Finalize - which means that one has to be aware that Finalizing is necessary, which many folks are not. WTF software vendors? The software should have this at the same place one selects Data or Music. Or it should ask when the burn is completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back