Mixers/Consoles How do you turn on the "post fade monitor" setting on a LS9 Yahmaha sound system?

Congratulations on you rememberence. I apologized. I moved on. Quit remembering your youth. EVERYONE has something to prove. I get it. I made a personal mistake, that's been shown by the others here HELPING, not just posting to prove my fault. I get it. Now please don't comment unles you have some helpful information for my use. I know I'm only 15, I am amateur. And I realized my fault. If you wanna bring age in to this, oh so "old" one as your implying by your remembering of being 15, you should know young teenagers make mistakes and do not think over.things before acting. That's all I did. I realized this and tried to make amends here. Hopefully bishop and Dave will accept my apology, as I'm trying to show I do require their knowledge, as they probably do have more experience with sound and audio issues than myself. So if you have nothing better to do than point out a 15 year olds error, who is trying to make something of himself and just help make for better shows and help a director, then you sir, are a sad, sad person.

Take a deep breath and just relax a little. You keep launching into tirades and nobody is trying to attack you. Victor wasn't trying to point out errors, hang around here and read some threads and get to know people a little bit, I promise his comment about being 15 wasn't an attack at youth, young or old people always have more they can learn. The key really is just taking a deep breath, and not immediately shooting back with a snide, condescending response.

Seeing as how your issue is with the monitor is it safe to assume that it is actually plugged into monitor outputs on the board? And if they are (again just trying to troubleshoot here, not trying to imply any lack on your part by running through basics...) have you tried switching it to a different output just to see if you still have the same issues? try swapping the monitor with the mains and run through it again to see if it reacts the same way.

Take a deep breath and just relax a little. You keep launching into tirades and nobody is trying to attack you. Victor wasn't trying to point out errors, hang around here and read some threads and get to know people a little bit, I promise his comment about being 15 wasn't an attack at youth, young or old people always have more they can learn. The key really is just taking a deep breath, and not immediately shooting back with a snide, condescending response.

Seeing as how your issue is with the monitor is it safe to assume that it is actually plugged into monitor outputs on the board? And if they are (again just trying to troubleshoot here, not trying to imply any lack on your part by running through basics...) have you tried switching it to a different output just to see if you still have the same issues? try swapping the monitor with the mains and run through it again to see if it reacts the same way.

No, I haven't. I had asked my director, past sound board users from school, and the professional. They all said that it most likely will not fix the problem. The problem isnt that NO sound is coming out. It's that the wrong sound is. For example, a background singer is clear as day, but yet the leads are not running through at all. I personally sent them manually through as I was shown, and for a dress rehearsal they worked. Then I go to a sound check and they were to working. My director and i were puzzled, so we called in a guy from Accent in Pittsburg to come in a take a look. That's where the post fade idea came from, and this horrible forum argue,ent. Which again, I apologize to everyone. I'm just a frustrated student trying to prove himself, as stated earlier. I had tried every possible thing to best of both my directors and my knowledge of the system, and still could not find a solution. Then, I was looking through the manual, and found something that might have worked. I haven't had a chance to test it though. The idea was to go into the stereo and monitor settings( where it can be st, or LCD) and turn on both. I believed that they were on, but I may be mistaken. Also, during the sound check I mentioned, the sound would run through, but T the wrong times. My director would put the fader on 0, and the sound was clear, but up to normal and nothing came through. Any suggestions? This is. Peaceful forum now. Swear.

Is there any way you can email me you Studio Manager File? I really think there might be something we are not catching with the way things may be set up / routed. I am happy to look through it to see if I can catch it, or offer more suggestions.

Also, do not hesitate to contact Yamaha Tech Support 1-866-211-9366. If you can talk with them as you sit in front of the board, that might be an ideal way to get things figured out.

~Dave

Last edited:
Is there any way you can email me you Studio Manager File? I really think there might be something we are not catching with the way things may be set up / routed. I am happy to look through it to see if I can catch it, or offer more suggestions.

Also, do not hesitate to contact Yamaha Tech Support 1-866-211-9366. If you can talk with them as you sit in front of the board, that might be an ideal way to get things figured out.

~Dave
Um I can try. Won't have permission to play around with board setting for a few weeks. The governor from Ohio is giving the state address at my school. So if I mess something up and it doesn't work, its on my shoulders. I'll be happy to ask my director about emailing it though. All you'd want is like the LS9 mixer thing( I may be using the wrong term for it). It's basically the board but on a computer correct?

Even if you can't make any changes, we might be able to find out what the issue is, that way you can act upon it once you receive the AOK from your people.

You are correct, I would just need the Studio Manager File. You can save it to a flash drive and then attach it to an email.

~Dave

Even if you can't make any changes, we might be able to find out what the issue is, that way you can act upon it once you receive the AOK from your people.

You are correct, I would just need the Studio Manager File. You can save it to a flash drive and then attach it to an email.

~Dave

Ok. Tomorrow I'll get the ask for permission, and if I get the AOK, I'll find your email.

Wow, I'd better dig out my waders! :) I think the Studio Manager file is going to be the only thing to save the day here. As Dave pointed out, there's no need to change settings or alter your console in any way. Just connect the computer, sync TO PC (CRITICALLY IMPORTANT NOT TO SYNC FROM PC TO CONSOLE!!!), save the file and email away. I'm curious to see what's going on, if you don't mind CC'ing me on that email. (thomas at nomadicpro dot net).

Also, if you could tell me how to set the mix sends to be post "ON" switch that would be great. I do not doubt that it's possible, maybe a newer firmware version than what I'm used to, I would honestly like to learn something new.

No problem! I'd be glad to. I was searching through the manual, and I think you change it by licking over the monitor button until a screen pops up with a few settings. Don't take my word though. Also, the manual had things about st and OCR. In it, it described a monitor button along with the st button. I believe st is for stereo, but again, possible mistakes. If you'd like to read the manual, there are PDF files on google, or I have a PDF if you'd like. The infomation was under chapter 5, pg. 59

Fellas I think I may have discovered the disconnect here. When the poster used the term "Mono" and we corrected him, he may have in fact been using the right term. If by chance this desk was set up to use the "mono master fader" to send to monitors, instead of a mix send, then much of what the poster was having problems with starts to make sense. What do you think? What we all thought was his misuse of a term, I think, was really a clue to the problem.

First, thanks to all for the return to civility. Please try to keep in mind that the people on the other end in a forum do not necessarily know the people or situations involved and can only respond to the information provided.

Browntown, it sounds like you've been put in the unenviable position of using a mixer with which you have limited experience and for which no one has offered you any training. It is not at all surprising that anyone might struggle in that situation. But it's also not necessarily an easy situation to resolve in a forum, as already evidenced, even factors such as terminology can easily create false impressions or misunderstandings. If you have not already done so, I recommend that you take advantage of the online LS9 training resources available at Self Training | Training & Support | Yamaha. That information, and especially the in-person training Yamaha sometimes offers, seem to help many people.

I also strongly recommend that anyone who will be mixing learn to read the single line or flow diagrams provided for many mixers. These often graphically answer many of questions such as where inserts and sends are or can be taken, what different switches and buttons actually do and so on. They can be intimidating at first by I find them invaluable in understanding how a specific mixer works even if I've never seen or touched one. They may also be about the only way to ascertain aspects such as whether a path is post-mute or not without actually having the mixer in front of you.

Um I can try. Won't have permission to play around with board setting for a few weeks. The governor from Ohio is giving the state address at my school. So if I mess something up and it doesn't work, its on my shoulders. I'll be happy to ask my director about emailing it though. All you'd want is like the LS9 mixer thing( I may be using the wrong term for it). It's basically the board but on a computer correct?
The fact that you have such a critical application shows exactly why you should already have a file saved for the mixer. If nothing else, if you ever have to get the console serviced, chances are good that it will come back with the original default programming and if you have not saved your setup and files then you will be starting all over. Any time you make changes that you want to save, it's a good idea to save them to somewhere other than just the console.

Fellas I think I may have discovered the disconnect here. When the poster used the term "Mono" and we corrected him, he may have in fact been using the right term. If by chance this desk was set up to use the "mono master fader" to send to monitors, instead of a mix send, then much of what the poster was having problems with starts to make sense. What do you think? What we all thought was his misuse of a term, I think, was really a clue to the problem.
That could well be and shows why using the correct terminology can sometimes be so important. It may also reflect how delving right into details can potentially lead to heading in the wrong direction and frustration for everyone.

There is no way on the LS9 to set the mix sends to be post "On" button. You can turn the individual channels on or off within the mixes by going into sends on faders mode, but if you turn off a channel within the main layer then no signal will pass through to any output. Allen and Heath have some consoles that do not mute the auxes when the channel is muted, I learned the hard way...
Perhaps another good example of terminology or maybe simply a typo as I view the LS9 sends as all being post "On" (although I believe that technically they are actually derived pre-On with "On" switches for each individual send then all tied together). At least according to the LS9 single line, the "On" button seems to affect all channel sends whereas a send taken pre or before the "On" switch would not be affected by it.

Beyond the assistance we offer here, I would strongly encourage your director / school administration to speak with the folks at Accent since you seem to already have a good working relationships with them. If they are your go to local provider, I would imagine they could set up some training on the board for a few staff members and interested students such as yourself for a very reasonable price. The LS9 is a great little board that has countless possibilities. The more you know about the board, and the more comfortable you are with it, the better off your productions will be. Perhaps even consider filming it to create a bit of a tutorial for future users, or as a refresher course. That is, as long as the individuals offering the training are OK with that. There are several clips on YouTube that are pretty decent and work viewing as well.

~Dave

Cursor over to the mix knob and select it (hit enter). A screen will pop up with 8 channels and you can select whether they are on/off or pre/post fader. Also, at the top of that pop up are two options that say "All Pre" and "All Post." Generally, you'll probably want all channels responding the same way so just select "All Post." Do the same for every mix send that you want to change.

Thanks! This sounds like what I need. If its not I'll be sure to come back for more questions! And again! I apologize for my behavior earlier. It was very unprofessional. Thanks again!

Let me give you a bit of history that MIGHT explain what some folks are trying to say:

Back years and years ago, on stage monitors were simply the foh pa fed into speakers mounted on the side of the stage, so the ON stage mix and the FOH mix were identical and the only controllable difference was basic eq and level. My husband was one of the first people in the late 60's to develop the concept of split mix, where the mic/instrument feed was split and one fee sent to the FOH mixer and the other to a dedicated monitor mixer (Remember this was back in the days when multi trackingment playing back from one tape machine into a mixer with additional mic channels into another tape machine) what this split mix system allowed for was a mix that worked for the artist on stage, and a different mix that worked for the audience.

SO when you choose a POST fader mix send, in essence in a very simplistic sense you are going back to the ancient method, where basically the FOH mix is affecting the monitor mix. So most folks use PRE FADER for monitors. BUT when you are mixing on a mixer like the LS9 and you have controllable Head amps, or a mixer that has Head amp control, and you alter the levels of the head amps, IF this head amp is feeding the FOH fader AND the Monitor mix, then a Headamp change will make a change in BOTH.

This is why even today a lot of large professional setups still use a split system where the FOH and Monitor mix are independent and can be fully controlled as such

There are a lot of folks on this forum with eons of experience, yet we all can learn from one an other, and sometimes an answer that sounds odd, might be a result of a question that has been presented in a way that can be misinterpreted. We toss the words professional and experienced around a lot. Basically a professional is someone who gets paid, and may or may not be an expert. Experience is related to familiarity with the particular setup, and again, someone with eons of experience, and a highly paid professional with pages of professional credits, STILL can be totally inexperienced when it comes to a specific system. While from experience they might be able to move up the learning curve quickly, they are inexperienced.

Sharyn

Would using scene memory affect if a mic sound was coming through a monitor? It just hit me that maybe its the memory. Would I have to send every mic through each time I created a new scene?

Depending on whether you have things recall safed, then yes it's entirely likely that when you change scenes your monitor mix will change too...

That said, if the LS9 behaves like the PM1D there will be an option to paste changes across to saved scenes...

Bear in mind that the only Yammie console I've used is the PM1D, but I expect there will be similarities in the LS9...

There is an option to setup certain things to be "recall safe".
What this does is basically it tells the mixer to recall the new scene, but DON'T change whatever these things are.

So say you have an input that's become problematic and you want to mute it for the rest of the show. If you recall safe that mute, it won't become unmuted when you recall a scene in which it's used.

Make some sense?

The LS9 manual [pdf]http://download.yamaha.com/api/asse...site-master.prod.exp.yamaha.com&asset_id=8548 talks about it from page 140...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back