How many lights would cover a 20x12 stage

I am thinking of buying some Blizzard Puck FAB 5 lights for an upcoming show. The stage is 20'x12'x24" high, and I just want to light the front. No effx or color changes, just wash the stage. Its a block party and this stage will be for some local school performances.

A friend is lending me his 12" triangular truss with a 20ft span. Which will be on crank stands about 12' high

Would 4 of them take care of it? Or do I need more? Yes Budget is a bit of concern but I plan on adding more lights later on and I hear the Pucks are the best bang for the buck (and throw a lot of light). Right now budget is around $1200.

Next year the block party will be bigger and I will need to light a 24x20 stage. Baby steps.

I also hear that using the Blizzard DMX cables are best because regular mic cables can smoke the unit. And don't plug the DMX in when the unit is plugged in because that will smoke it too.

Input from you pros is very welcomed. And thank you in advance.

I've never used those units, but gut instinct is that you'll want more than 4 to get an even wash, regardless of the light output of them. I have to ask, though, if you don't want color changes or anything, why LED? You would get better whites much more cheaply by just buying some cheap PAR 38b cans.

Yes, real DMX cables are preferable (not necessarily Blizzard brand) but not because of any possible damage; they will just be marginally more reliable (at your scale. as the rig gets more complex, the more important quality cable is.) Also, I wouldn't worry about when you plug in the DMX. That isn't something that happens with any frequency, if it ever happens.

I have a bunch of PAR64 cans and power is an issue. For now I am not concerned with color changes, but in the future I will want them. So I am trying to plan ahead. The LED units will be great for their low power consumption.

Before you go there, think about the truss. If the TRUSS is 20' long and you are spanning a 20' stage, the stands (I'm assuming you have to use crank stands or something) will either be in front of the stage or ON the stage. So if you're using something like an Applied L-11, you lose several square feet worth of stage, or the trim of the truss will only be 9' above the 24" high stage. Or you have to put the truss way out in the crowd and that presents a trip hazard. Personally, I'd just tuck the crank stand (assuming that's what they are) legs under the sides of the stage and use a t-bar on each. Hang 4 on each. That should be reasonable. If you need/want/have more fixtures, put them downstage on the deck, or a few more upstage for eye candy. Also, if this is an outdoor party be prepared for uneven footing so you may have to shim a leg or two.

Before you go there, think about the truss. If the TRUSS is 20' long and you are spanning a 20' stage, the stands (I'm assuming you have to use crank stands or something) will either be in front of the stage or ON the stage. So if you're using something like an Applied L-11, you lose several square feet worth of stage, or the trim of the truss will only be 9' above the 24" high stage. Or you have to put the truss way out in the crowd and that presents a trip hazard. Personally, I'd just tuck the crank stand (assuming that's what they are) legs under the sides of the stage and use a t-bar on each. Hang 4 on each. That should be reasonable. If you need/want/have more fixtures, put them downstage on the deck, or a few more upstage for eye candy. Also, if this is an outdoor party be prepared for uneven footing so you may have to shim a leg or two.

I will be using genie towers that can get to 15 or.18ft I believe. Its outdoor but its on a street. All level. I am good with T Bars. Just want to put some light on stage. They had the portable light generators last year to light the walkway for the crowd. That lit up most of my stage so I just added color.

So do the pucks have a wide enough beam to put some light on a 20x12 stage so grandma can take some pics?

I have read somewhere that using any mic cables and/or DMX cables that are incorrectly wired with Pin 1 connected to the shell causes Blizzard units in particular to, as you say "smoke". This may be due to how the Blizzard icicle wireless devices get their power from the fixture. While using regular mic cables for DMX is not the best way to go, one should at least check them for the grounded shell problem. The Blizzard cables are not special, they just do not have Pin 1 connected to the shell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back