How to contol the work lights.

also guys, please stop telling me what you use to light up your catwalks... "i have lights with a switch".... yeah, thats a big help. I've got to light up the stage for the dance classes and music rehearsals that take place there every day. The scoops are the easiest and cheapest ways to do this. I need a way to turn them on and off CHEAPLY

haha, yeah I just felt like being witty. :)

We have these touch panels around the sanctuary along the walls that can control a preset group of lights. The janitor or whoever can come in and turn them on and off pretty easily.
We actually have two systems...an NSI luma-net in the small fellowship room, and the ETC link net thing in the sanctuary.

I've never ever ever ever seen NSI stuff anywhere. Well, i did see a 24 channel manual board with a proprietary NSI interface.... once.... i guess it aint popular in canada.

I guess your best bet is either buying a really cheap DMX console that will just control the worklights and put it on timer, that way you don't have to power about hurting your console. Or just buy a DMX memory preset console, they make straight foward ones that aren't all fancy like that ETC thing I have.

I'd say no matter how straight forward that ETC preset console is its going to be at least $2000.

I'm just going to wire a remote panic switch for the rack backstage so we can press a button, make the rack panic, and turn on the worklights, simple as that. - and it costs nothing.

Assuming that there must be some point where a plug goes from the current work light circuit into a dimmer controlled by the light board, why can’t it be that you simply un-plug the work lights from the dimmer in freeing them up for more important work, and plug them into a extension cord leading to a portable switch mounted in a easy to find location and plug going into a wall outlet. Given they are work lights, to me it seems like a wasted dimmer channel.

Dimmer Channel? try 5
we use them for productions too, thats why they have to stay on the dimmers, I have many many spare dimmers. There isnt a wall outlet anywhere handy, nor two of them which is what it would take. Not to mention you would have to climb onto the catwalk to plug them in.

i love strand. i was looking at our's, under show setup theres on at time macro or something like that. you could prgram one of those.

Panic will definitely work, that's actually what the janators and music teachers do. They just hit that big button and all the work and general stage lights will light up. When they're done they just hit normal and the lights go back to how they originally were. I actually found that many of the altman orchestra and work lights we use are basically just basic fernels.

Presets

I don't know how much they cost but we have these cool little preset buttons from etc. They can be easily programed to turn on lights and we have them backstage and at every door to the theatre. The ones by the doors have two buttons so we have it set to turn the house lights on and dim them for the mass media class. And the ones backstage and in the booth have six. And you must have a pretty smart custodial staff. I don't think that our custiodians know what a light board is, but then, all they do in the booth is empty the trash, sometimes.

I have a nice system for working houselights (although it probably wont provide an answer for the orignal question on this thread) but I cant figure out how to set it up completely. At some point when I have time I'll post it in this thread or maybe in a new thread. But right now I have to run off and do AP Chem and AP Calc hmwk!

Something about Peter's response reminded me of Fermat's famous note in the book - I have a beautiful proof, but there is not enough room in this margin :D

-OG

LOL!!! my Calculus class did quite a bit of playing arround with Fermat's Therom! So ok, what are everyone guesses about my sytem, I'll tell you that it is in a basicly brand new building, and from what i can tell, it was not wired by someone who knew what they were doing.

Now I just hope I live long enough to tell you guys about this, unlike Fermat!

Last theatre I was in (besides the Dollar Store :) just had the worklights with extension cords dangling from them to near outlets. When you got into the pitch black theatre, you took out your maglite (everyone carries one of those, of course) and go find the cord and plug it in :) One set of worklights per side. Small theatre.

I suppose it has the virtue of /simplicity/

One time doing a small show there (I was in the audience for this one, can't take any credit for it) the show was just about to start, house lights went down, stage was black.. except for the work lights. Which, of course, can't be shut off from the board or anywhere else, being just plugs. So, the TD was up at the board and she and the guy doing sound simultaneously headed down the aisles, grabbed the plugs and extinguished the lights, in a beautiful ballet of synchronicity.

They meant to do that. Sure.

-OG

what about a speatre lighting board i no of one you can get for 300 cad
its got 12 chanels, you can just put the lights you want on ch 1-12 on your dimmer. then just unplug the dmx for your board or put a switch in so you can select ethere your main board or the secondary board.

i like having flourescent worklights, they dont get as hot and when we bring down the electrics to hang lights we can still see. the only problem i have with them is that the only switch for them is by the back exit of the stage, which means every time some moron walks in and decides to hit the light switch i have to run back and turn them off :-( but anyway, flourescents are great for rehearsals too, that way you dont have to come to every rehearsal just to turn on the board and babysit it, because if your school works anything like mine does, they dont even consider tech/crew till 2 or 3 weeks before a show.

I have the same setup with flourecent lights, and they are a life saver when it comes to rehersals! The switches for them are in a fairly hard to reach place, so they usualy dont get turned by accadent. Otherwise, I might suggest a small piece of masking tape draped over the switch will usualy discourage people from fliping it unless they know what they are doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back