How to control multiple projectors (power on/off)

Would it be possible (and easier IMO) to just add a blank slide (assuming Keynote/Powerpoint) that is black and then have the screen go away? That's what I would do, instead of trying to control them independently.
Both projectors will be on the same HDMI cable. A blank powerpoint screen would blank both projectors. As of now, we plan to always send the same image to both projectors. This is part of the "keep it simple..." objective. It will depend on the activity if we use the front, back or both.

Thanks for all your input. It's beginning to look like a different brand projector is about the only way to keep it simple. We felt Epson gives the most bang for the buck (as did several dealers), but part of Epson's economy is a single remote for all. I looked into the Epson EMP control, but I don't think that would keep it simple. We ran across a deal on a Hitachi CPX4011N, but I haven't researched the projector yet. The Epson EX7200 we just bought gives a decent picture in the daytime with the lights on, but it will become our rear projector, and we're going for a little more brightness for the main, (front) projector. Anyone familiar with the Hitachi?

another cheap trick is to get some fiber optic plastic cable, just run it to the ir sensor and use your remote back at what ever point you need to control from

Sharyn
Interesting idea! We'd need to run 2 130' cables, which is ok. I haven't worked with fibre optics (other than plugging in my TV/sound system). Can you shoot the remote right at the cable end, or do you need transmitters and recievers at the ends of the optic cable? I noticed some of the online stores I looked at showed lengths up to 30 meters. We need about 40 meters. And the remotes would probably have to be mounted in a fixed location, if I understand the concept correctly.

I might be a little late to chime in, but if you want to selectively control a device that uses the same remote (TV, projector, etc), there's a quick cheap trick you can use on the low tech end: just take an old Pringles can, cut the bottom off the can, and point the remote through the can and at the projector you want to control. (the can will give you directional control over your remote). Not the most professional looking rig, but it has always worked for me, and doesn't cost a dime.

Not the most professional looking rig, but it has always worked for me, and doesn't cost a dime.

Actually, Pringles are like $1.29 which is almost 13 dimes. Also, do the Sour Cream & Onion ones work better then the Originals. ;)

Seriously though, that's an interesting solution. I'm going to try it out.

Interesting idea! We'd need to run 2 130' cables, which is ok. I haven't worked with fibre optics (other than plugging in my TV/sound system). Can you shoot the remote right at the cable end, or do you need transmitters and recievers at the ends of the optic cable? I noticed some of the online stores I looked at showed lengths up to 30 meters. We need about 40 meters. And the remotes would probably have to be mounted in a fixed location, if I understand the concept correctly.

No need for transmitters and receivers, I just use a bit of silicone to get the end of the fiber so it shines on the IR Receiver, and on the remote side I have typically mounted the remote to some surface and then just silicone the fiber cable to the IR diode. If you cut the Fiber cable, you usually need to use an inexpensive hot knife to make the cut smooth.

IF want to test it out and make sure your remote is powerful enough you probably can borrow a reel of fiber cable, and then just have the ends held to the both ends. I have found it works well, as the signals for IR control are very basic, and it is not like you are transmitting data. Sometimes you can find a deal on long lengths of fiber optic cable from a network (ebay)
Sharyn

We have a new Epson projector on our church ceiling. We are going to install a second projector. We would like to have another Epson like the one we have, but I understand Epson uses the same signal for all projectors. Sometimes we only want one projector on, so we want to control them individually (without spending a fortune). Is there a way, or do we buy a different brand of projector?

Thanks again for all your input. We haven't decided yet. We'll be discussing your ideas this week-end. Hopefully decide in the next week or so. Everything is still on the table, but we're leaning toward a non-Epson projector. This was my first time at Control Booth. It's definitely been interesting! Thanks.

I've been hungary for Pringles. I may buy a can and test my aim. (Probably only about 15 -20 degrees difference in line of sight between projectors). I'm on the fence between Sour Cream or Original. And I had never thought of hard wiring a wireless remote!

What's your budget like? If you're looking for simplicity and a way to protect your equipment from non-techie people, I've done many control systems with a simple computer, some software, and a touchscreen, all for about $1,000 depending on how many components there are. And it'll control everything from IR to RS-232 to network and beyond.

Actually, Pringles are like $1.29 which is almost 13 dimes. Also, do the Sour Cream & Onion ones work better then the Originals.

We found them at Walmart last night for $1.

And the IR light reflects better off the barbeque flavoring more effectively than the original flavor, thus delivering even more power output!:rolleyes:

Conceivably you could write off the can of Pringles as a business expense.

SSOOOO I decided to find the manual on line and go thru it

It looks like there is a simple solution

look at page 48 you can have the projector start up immediately on applying power (* so you could use a remote power switch) and then there is an option for shut down when signal is removed with the ability to add a timer to it

So you could remotely turn on the power then if you want only a specific unit, only send signal to that one, and remove the signal when you want to shut that one down

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/vs200_/vs200_ug.pdf

there is also a rs 232 control ability

Personally I like being able to use the remote so I like my fiber suggestion but if you just want on and off, looks like this method outlined above will work

Sharyn

Do you have DMX? Can you just use a dowser of some sort?
/avkid

The only problem with using only a dowser is that you can't actually power off the projector with a dowser. They just block the light from hitting the screen.

If at all possible you may want to looking to doing both a remote power off solution (something that I do not know how to do with out more research, but it looks like
SSOOOO I decided to find the manual on line and go thru it-Sharyn
already did that :D) as well as some sort of dowser. The reason being is that at the beginning of the show you could power on all the projectors needed for the show/service and then dowse them until you needed them, thus eliminating the "black light" effect (when a projectors bulb is still on but is just displaying a black screen).

This might not be necessary if the projector has a really good "black light" that is hardly visible but it really depends on the make of the project. I have worked with both projectors that have terrible "black light" issues and some that I do not have to dowse at all....

/avkid Shiben

The only problem with using only a dowser is that you can't actually power off the projector with a dowser. They just block the light from hitting the screen.

Isn't that the idea? Turn all of the projectors you need on a the beginning, then, assuming the OP (Wendell) has DMX, they can just block the light on one projector or the other to get the desired effects.

This might not be necessary if the projector has a really good "black light" that is hardly visible but it really depends on the make of the project. I have worked with both projectors that have terrible "black light" issues and some that I do not have to dowse at all....

We've already mentioned that.
Both projectors will be on the same HDMI cable. A blank powerpoint screen would blank both projectors. As of now, we plan to always send the same image to both projectors. This is part of the "keep it simple..." objective. It will depend on the activity if we use the front, back or both.

So, blank slides don't work so well.

Sometimes we only want one projector on, so we want to control them individually (without spending a fortune).

As far as I can tell the OP wants to be able to control individual projectors on and off. Thus he doesn't have to burn bulbs when only one projector is needed. So a only dowser solution is most likely not want he is looking for.

But I personally, if I have a DMX system in place, would use a dowser even when I only need one projector for a show because of the black light issue.

So basically what I am saying is that if possible the OP may want to look into both a individual projector on/off solution and a dowser system.

We've already mentioned that.

Yes I was just reiterating that fact to complete my post sorry for the repost.

And sorry for the multiple versions of this post... I keep hitting send before I'm ready

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back