i need some ideas.

kadams17

Alright.

I'm doing lighting design for a show choir, third year now. I've got most of my cues down and I like them, I am just at a dilemma and need some other input.

The final song is Free Ride by Edgar Winter, sweet song right?

I don't have any idea what to do, in general for the "cool" part of the cue. My inventory consists of a lot of ETC ellipsoidals and Fresnels, and I have 4 colorspot 250s. I have a basic image in my head, but I am looking for any input at all, as to what would make a great finale.

using haze? if you do put lights in pairs of 4's or 6's and do fans. if there is no haze throw some beams on a white cyc???? if you have one???

This song screams to have the lights strongly coordinated with the beat.

Whenever the chorus hits and there are the segments of three snare strikes, on each strike you could add in a group of lights. So if you have three groups of lights, add one on each snare hit in that group until you've built all in.

I hesitate to say you should go hog wild. You want it to be cool, but you also don't want to upset the choir by making it all about you and flashing lights like crazy.

I'd say whatever you choose to do should ride the rhythm of the snare and the bass guitar for the most part.

If you have haze, i might fan them into the audience with a moving gobo or something. As the songs ends, fade them out slowly. Do what they had said above and move them out in groups.

If you have several warm downlight washes (like an amber one and a red one), you might try bumping them alternating with the snare hits thru the entire song? Haze is good. I second the notion of trying really hard not to make it too spectacular so as to overshadow the singers, as I find that whenever I try and make lights really cool, people notice them not the show... :(

I'm not sure I recommend haze. It will take too long to fill the room to a usable state and I doubt the choir will be used to working with haze. Though they say it is completely safe and has no effect on the respiratory system, it does have the psychological effect that makes inexperienced people want to cough or hold their breath. I would talk to the choir director before you start to design a show with haze in mind.

What kind of venue are you in? What kind of lighting positions do you have? How is your plot laid out? What kind of scenery does the production have??

The answers to these questions will help us provide you with better ideas!!

This song screams to have the lights strongly coordinated with the beat.

Whenever the chorus hits and there are the segments of three snare strikes, on each strike you could add in a group of lights. So if you have three groups of lights, add one on each snare hit in that group until you've built all in.

I hesitate to say you should go hog wild. You want it to be cool, but you also don't want to upset the choir by making it all about you and flashing lights like crazy.

I'd say whatever you choose to do should ride the rhythm of the snare and the bass guitar for the most part.

I agree with most all of this... except the part about not going hog wild. Don't get me wrong, in general I totally agree that the lights should not be competeing with the talent for attention, however with it being the last song there is something to be said for the BIG FINISH. Wow 'em and leave them wanting more. It's up to you, but for our last number, I tend to slide my Grand Master fader up to 100% ( usually it is 85-90%) and let it rip!!!

You probably wanna check with the "powers that be" about your plans before hand, but my guess is that if they trust your instincts with the rest of the show, they will trust ya with this one song to "showcase" an often overlooked and under apprecated portion of the performance.

I'm not sure I recommend haze. It will take too long to fill the room to a usable state and I doubt the choir will be used to working with haze. Though they say it is completely safe and has no effect on the respiratory system, it does have the psychological effect that makes inexperienced people want to cough or hold their breath. I would talk to the choir director before you start to design a show with haze in mind.
no doubt especially since they are singing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back