I once turned the house lights on during a show.

lee624

Hello! I'm a tech member at my high school in NY! I'm light crew only and not audio though.
I'm not new to lights but I still have a lot to learn since I only really started working the light board about 5 months ago?
I joined CB after hearing about it from the musical director/music teacher at my school. He's a member of CB also.
So I hope that I can learn a lot here, especially about moving/automated lights since that's a big thing in our next show (HELP!)
So nice to meet you, this introduction was pretty long so sorry.

I'm curious whether this was a good or bad experience? At Intermission or end of show=good. During Hamlet's soliloquy=bad, most likely. Live theater--accidents happen. Apologize, learn from it, and move on.

Guilty. I was about 15, and running a Colortran Status (not the exact one, but the same model is pictured below - hated that board) for a community theatre production of a A Christmas Story. I was pretty new at running that console, and was more focused on getting the cue timed right than I was making sure my hands were in the right place. See, on the Colortran Status, to advance cues programmed in to the cue stack, you have to move both of the large crossfaders either up or down, and they have to go together. All my fade times had been pre-programmed, so my goal was to get those faders from one extreme to the other rather quickly.

So here we are, both faders at the "down" position (just like the photo) and I'm watching the stage and listening to the SM on headset. Unbeknownst to me, my fingers are actually on Crossfader A and Channel 48... Guess what was on channel 48? Yep, house lights. Oops... Very hard to "cheat" your way outta that mistake! Needless to say, that was not a positive experience :). The only other time I've brought the house lights up mid-show was for intermission, or one time when the fire alarm started sounding.

proxy.php

5 months on a console and you're going to start programming moving lights soon? Err, I wish you the best of luck! I hope there are people around who can help you out. If not, that's what we're here for, but truthfully I'd start out simple if at all possible! What moving lights are you using, and with what console?

Last edited:
welcome aboard! who's your music director?

Welcome to the ControlBooth lee624, it's good to have you along!

Plenty of stories to share here, kick back and enjoy!

I'm curious whether this was a good or bad experience? At Intermission or end of show=good. During Hamlet's soliloquy=bad, most likely. Live theater--accidents happen. Apologize, learn from it, and move on.

It was pretty bad in a way cause it was during a show like during a scene but pretty funny cause the sound crew also accidentally muted all the mics on the same show.

5 months on a console and you're going to start programming moving lights soon? Err, I wish you the best of luck! I hope there are people around who can help you out. If not, that's what we're here for, but truthfully I'd start out simple if at all possible! What moving lights are you using, and with what console?

omg at least i'm not the only one with a accidental light change!
My directors been helping out of course and I've been slowly learning but the first preview is in a week so! I need all the luck i can get so thanks!!! :)
I'm working with two legends 2000 and one intimidator (not sure which one specifically.) and the board is EOS ion

welcome aboard! who's your music director?

Joe Owens!

Where in NY? The city, or upstate?
Right of the city in a dinky land called Long Island.

Welcome to the ControlBooth lee624, it's good to have you along!

Plenty of stories to share here, kick back and enjoy!

Thanks!!!

I went to see a show in a black box and arrived late. There were several of us standing against a wall watching the show when the house lights came up and then went off again. It happened two more times and as I was wondering what was going on in the booth, I realized that I was leaning against the switch that controlled the house lights. Oops... :oops:
I blame the consultant.

I have had to put molly-guards around house light switches in a number of venues. Too easy for audience members to lean on the switch at the wrong time, and some of them would get rather upset when you asked them to move.

/mike

Never heard the term Molly-guard before. Please make a new entry for our wiki.

From Big red button - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :
A Big Red Switch often includes a molly-guard, a cover that must be lifted to trip the switch. The original molly-guard was jury-rigged from Plexiglas to prevent a programmer's young daughter Molly from pressing the BRS on an IBM 4341 server, after she had done so twice in one day.

Perhaps include a picture of the "blue button" on the back of a Wholehog II, the most prevalent example I can think of.

I went to see a show in a black box and arrived late. There were several of us standing against a wall watching the show when the house lights came up and then went off again. It happened two more times and as I was wondering what was going on in the booth, I realized that I was leaning against the switch that controlled the house lights. Oops... :oops:
I blame the consultant.

my director actually told me to blame it on someone like that LOL! he was joking of course(?).

I have had to put molly-guards around house light switches in a number of venues. Too easy for audience members to lean on the switch at the wrong time, and some of them would get rather upset when you asked them to move.

/mike
Never heard the term Molly-guard before. Please make a new entry for our wiki.

From Big red button - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :

Perhaps include a picture of the "blue button" on the back of a Wholehog II, the most prevalent example I can think of.
I need those guards so I won't hit the lights

Welcome Lee624, I wasn't familar with that color, so I had to look it up, Yep there it is, Lee 624 Full Digital LED C.T.O.
Colour Information and Spectral Charts for LEE Lighting Filters

I'm a pretty peachy color

Users who are viewing this thread

Back