Ideas on a cyc look

ishboo

So I am designing the lights for a production of South Pacific, due to time constraints, budget, drama, etc. I have 4 days to do a design before I have to leave. I have most of it worked out but one thing I've been struggling with. In one scene the script describes a beautiful canary yellow sky but the director wants a pretty blue sky but I some how also need to add some yellow without loosing the blue. I've never really done a musical or play with heavy cyc lighting so it's a new area for me and I don't have much time to experiment. I was thinking do a blue cyc then maybe some pattern in a S4 from the side or somewhere to do rays of sun. Would this work or does anyone have any other ideas?

Be careful. When I was in college we took a blue cyc and projected canary yellow on it and it turned a very ugly green. :doh:

I was thinking more of a golden color, not quite canary yellow, but thanks for that tip I din't think of that and I will watch out for that.

If you have the space and your cyc isn't way too thick, projecting one color from the front and the other from the rear helps eliminate color mixing. It works well on our cyc, but not all cyc's are created equal. If you have time, try it out, it might just do the trick.

If you have the space

How much space would one need, just out of curiosity. The show my school is performing this upcoming fall involves a sunset, and I really want to get the whole multi-colored sky effect. We have one free standing beam mounted just behind our cyc traveler which I could run a wire to from the 3rd electric. Or would it be better to simply use different colored lights from the ground row instead?

How many cells do you have in your cyc lights? RBG is really the easy and no hassle way to go, but if I need extra color I hang gold or purple ellipsoidal or pars in between the cyc lights. Sometimes you have to tweak the positioning a little bit, but I find that gives me a lot of color mixing and a little bit of texture when I need it. Cudos on the breakup patters on the cyc, I'm a big fan.

Prior to this show I had never really done any breakups on the cyc. I just finished Wizard of Oz for a local production company. I moved lights around until I had an effect that I like.

I don't have the pictures from the photographer yet, but he has them up in his site. jbeyer.com - Home
I cant link to the photos :evil:. Thumbnails pop up on the left, scroll down three times, then second picture from the bottom. :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be hard to figure out. Worked really well for the show. The night after the photographer came I added some cloud gobos to the top of the cyc which really added to the effect.

If you find the time walk around with a light and a really long cable.

Really cool work. Question tho... In the picture with the guards marching in front of a purple cyc, behind each cyc unit there is a serious hot spot. It looks really nifty. it it intentional, scalloping on the cyc, or a result of the photography. Anyhow, really nice work.

Really cool work. Question tho... In the picture with the guards marching in front of a purple cyc, behind each cyc unit there is a serious hot spot. It looks really nifty. it it intentional, scalloping on the cyc, or a result of the photography. Anyhow, really nice work.

Photography mostly. I thought I had the borders in for final dress, he must of been right at the foot of the stage, because you couldnt see the lights from the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back