Intercoms

hemismith

I'm finally getting things together for my church and now I'm down to the intercom. In my limited experience communication is key. I've read a number of threads here but couldn't find as much as I was hoping for, and many were very old.

I will probably just rent a system; I think I can get what we need for $100 or so for the weekend. It will probably come out of my own pocket though, and I would prefer to spend money on buying for the long term; we will only want to rent for big productions, and it would be nice to have something for small ones. We will never be able to get a real system, but nothing we do involves safety or anything too critical.

My wife used to borrow some wireless headsets from someone that seemed to work fine I believe, but I have no idea what they were (it's been many years); they didn't *look* that expensive. But in reading here it doesn't sound like there are any good cheap wireless options. I was going to use FRS radios with headsets, but I couldn't get mine to work right and I forgot that they are not full duplex and realize the problems that can cause. Last year I think they tried that (without headsets) and gave up; they ended up using cell phones with earpieces but that didn't work very well either.

I read about the wireless phone idea, and it seems like it would probably work better than the above options, especially when used with a headset.

The other option I've been wondering about, and haven't found any info on, is creating a system using a standard mixer and cables. Aside from the headsets, which you'd need regardless, the main cost would be headphone amps. Is this totally impossible or ridiculous?

It just boggles my mind that something so simple in concept is so difficult and/or expensive. I realize Clearcom and such are very good quality and made for critical applications, but I don't need that level; I just need something basic.

Edit: I guess I need to search on radios; there are apparently lots of threads about that; I just searched on intercom. Looks like there may be some other options; so far I can't tell if anything is full-duplex or not though.

Last edited:
I see there are threads on radios in other forums, not as many as I thought though. But it appears that MURS is still simplex. It seems like you could build a duplex radio easy enough that simply uses two frequencies; I guess there must be a reason why it's not done.

I found the following interesting page; this was another idea I was thinking of but wasn't sure what it would take.

Use old telephones as an intercom

When you pay for a professional intercom you're buying not only the hardware, but the reliability, support, and quality that comes with it.

Setting up an intercom system with a mixer would be very complex, but it would work. If you need a dirt cheap solution you can pick up a bunch of telephones with headsets, wire them together (instructions plenty of places online) and enjoy your duplex wired always-on intercom system. The next step up is consumer handheld radios, and after that it's the professional systems.

Bite the bullet and buy the gear now. If you cobble something together, unless you have a ton of gear in your basement rotting there is still a cost involved. With the radio option, good radios cost money and require a license to operate. Bad radios eat batteries and get bad reception. Batteries add up quick.

You can pick up a used clearcom or production intercom system for 500 dollars with 2 stations.

The telephone route is not a bad option, but there is still expense involved there. The reason you don't see too many home brew solutions is it is simply not worth it.

Thanks very much everyone. We ended up just renting a wired system, but now that things are settling down I will start looking at something to buy.

The main problem with 99% of radio systems is Simplex. With the unlicenced UHF Radio's (Called Citizens Band down under, i think there is something similar in the US) also, as you are limited in power and to UHF, drop outs are VERY common, not to mention the local truckers who quickly get pissed of with "Those Theatre C**t's!. If you really wanted a wireless system, some PA companies can rent out radio sets, but don't even think about buying without some serious cash. You are looking at around $250 per unit, plus licencing if you dont go with CB (or eqiv).

Thanks very much everyone. We ended up just renting a wired system, but now that things are settling down I will start looking at something to buy.

Look up "Clearcom" on eBay. Lots of good stuff. I'm actually looking at buying a few more beltpacks for around $60 each, and I have a source for beacons for $100. I paid no more than $250 for my base station that has headset outputs directly on it. Just keep an eye out on the used market.

Look up "Clearcom" on eBay. Lots of good stuff. I'm actually looking at buying a few more beltpacks for around $60 each, and I have a source for beacons for $100. I paid no more than $250 for my base station that has headset outputs directly on it. Just keep an eye out on the used market.
Sounds great, thanks!

The main problem with 99% of radio systems is Simplex. With the unlicenced UHF Radio's (Called Citizens Band down under, i think there is something similar in the US) also, as you are limited in power and to UHF, drop outs are VERY common, not to mention the local truckers who quickly get pissed of with "Those Theatre C**t's!.
Here in the US we do have CBs but unlicensed FRS (Family Radio Service) and licensed GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) would be more common for this type of application. These are the two-way radios you can find in blister packs in many stores. You still have the simplex issues and limited privacy.

As already noted, reliability and durability are often important factors. When you need comms you usually need it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back