Is DMX right for my application?

I'm new to DMX, and theatrical lighting in general. My application is slightly different than most, and I feel that a DMX system may be overkill. I'm trying to setup a lighting control system for a Masonic Lodge, the system will have 8 distinct zones. Most under 500W, one at ~2000W, all are incandescent. Ideally I would like to have the ability to program "scenes" where I would press one button and a few zones would dim, brighten etc. (Think three color bulbs, blue, red, yellow brightening and dimming to create a sunrise).

From my prior research I'm sure that this is what DMX is designed for. To control this, I need to have a simple handheld controller, touchpad etc, where I could press a button for each scene. It seems like this is the more difficult thing to find.

I would like to go with DMX as it seems like it'll be around for a bit. I would like to use a technology that is sustainable as the years go on. I installed a Leviton system, but as parts broke, I learned that the system was obsolete.

Well, DMX is the control signal, that's all.
The confusion may be coming from looking at theatrical products. I think what you are looking for are architectural lighting products. The two can co-exist, but an architectural products vendor is more likely to be able to provide you with simple controllers which can be pre-programed to do many things but provide a simple user interface. For example, often in a theater environment, you have a desk type controller for the stage, but an architectural controller for remote access to house lights. Dimmers are same, but may not be mounted together. All being DMX as far are control goes.

Nothing against ETC or Strand, but both Unison and Vision.net are even more overkill, and more expensive and complicated, than a DMX solution. DMX alone would have trouble with the "8 distinct zones" part--you don't want someone in one room to affect the lighting in another, but might want a "Master" station to take all rooms to an "overnight" or "away" preset, for example. Consider adding an occupancy sensor to each room that can dim way down if it senses no activity after a period of time, and restores when someone enters. Also daylight-harvesting and all the other LEED (and LED) buzzwords.

demedeirosa, I'd look at something from an architectural lighting company, like Lutron, Lightolier, Lehigh, Leviton, CooperControls and others. Even something from the burgeoning "home automation" market--PROVIDED the equipment is listed, by NRTL for use in a "place of public assembly" as specified by NEC Section 518 if not 520, and installed by a state-licensed electrical contractor. Actually, those are ALL very likely requirements for ANY system you choose. As well as emergency/egress lighting requirements and coordination.

... I would like to go with DMX as it seems like it'll be around for a bit. ...
Actually, DMX512 has just begun what will likely be a very slow decline; will likely be replaced eventually with ACN. No one knows how long that will take.
... To control this, I need to have a simple handheld controller, touchpad etc, where I could press a button for each scene. It seems like this is the more difficult thing to find. ...
Won't you also need at least one entry station/touch panel in each zone (room)? Luminair for iPad v2 - Multi-touch wireless DMX lighting control or perhaps Interactive Technologies, Inc. (website seems to be down at the moment--but they have a DMX controller that fits in a single-gang box, and I think includes an infra-red remote).
ETC has the lower cost SmartLink system, Strand may have something lower cost as well; I'm not very familiar with either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, one thing id like to make clear is that I am only controlling the lights in one room. There are 8 zones in the one room.

We currently have a Leviton system, and its been nothing but a pain. In addition I have had a hard time find a system by an architectural lighting company that has some sort of simple scripting capability. This would be for the sunrise effect I mentioned. This is actually what led me into thinking about the theatrical based equipment.

The station in the room will be required, especially for first entry into the room, or when the wireless remote has problems. Given that, under normal circumstances i would like to have all control be done by the wireless remote.

The current system has an infrared remote, which has been a huge drawback, its range is horrible. Although this is most likely due to the location of the receiver.

I will take a look at those links a little later on. Thank you for providing them!

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, one thing id like to make clear is that I am only controlling the lights in one room. There are 8 zones in the one room.
Oh, sorry, I totally misunderstood.:( By zones, I think you mean what we would call channels: Chandeliers, wall sconces, down cans, your colored lights per color, fluorescents, and so forth? And you're replacing an existing Leviton system that once, many moons ago, worked? So the circuit wires from all fixtures eventually go back to one central breaker panel or dimmer rack? I'd still probably suggest one of the the "L" architectural companies, and you'll still need an electrical contractor to perform the work, and everything will still need to meet NEC.

FYI, Interactive Technologies website is working again. I was thinking of the Scene Station system. You'd still need DMX dimmers though. I'd go kind of in this order (although most manufacturers offer lines at different price points): ETC, Strand, Leviton, Leprecon, Teatronics, Lehigh, Lightronics. Permanently installed architectural DMX dimmers, hard-wired to the fixtures, even from those same manufacturers, are generally less expensive than their theatrical counterparts.

I use Luminair for iOS at the performing arts center I work at, and it's great. Simple UI, patching is a breeze, and customization is great. Highly recommend using an iPad or tablet for simple lighting jobs- makes things a lot simpler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back