Kliegl #1357 lamp adjustment

Banderson

Hi everyone, first time posting on Control Booth, although I've been a reader for quite some time.

I recently started to take some electrician/lighting design/lighting advice work at a local public high school. The fixture package they recieved about 5 years ago in a renovation included very few extra lights beyond what is required for a rep plot to suit their demands. I want to add dedicated podium lights for lectures that don't bleed onto the very unapologetic projection screen. My question involves what I believe to have identified as a couple Kliegl #1357s sitting in a storage room. I noticed one of the instruments had a terrible lamp misalignment issue. The lamp what shifted off center about 0.5" parallel to the filament axis. I'm wondering if there is an adjustment to shift the socket left to right (as opposed to the adjustments one can make with the bench focus screws on the back of the instrument).

Alternately the problem could be with a misaligned reflector but it seemed solidly in place and did not look visually crooked in any way except in respect to the lamp assembly.

The output is acceptable for my purposes and I have some extra lamps in stock. This seems like a good way to put some old lights to use if only I didn't have a horrendous bench focus problem with one light. Anyone got some good news for me?

172141_640.jpg

Oh dear.:stumped: The Kliegl 1357 series, with its step lens and double-ended lamp, is one of the worst lighting fixtures ever created. Are you sure you can't find any other profile spotlight to use instead?

That being said, since you have at least one "good" one and one "bad" one, simply examine the two to determine the differences. Perhaps also try a different DWT lamp ; IIRC, the filament would become distorted fairly easily, leading to all sorts of anomalies in the beam. Sadly, neither I, nor my roommate who is even older, can remember anything about how to bench focus a 1357.

I believe ship has such a specimen in his museum; perhaps he can offer some guidance.

Last edited:
Nope, none on my part - fascinating light in can't agree with more for least efficient light concept. While I have dual ended all sorts of Keliegl lights that are fine in focus, this one seems like it might be a bit over much.

Trade you both for three brand new as per other posted message Strand #2123 fixtures which should be roughly the same beam angle but a c.1998 design in availing this task for better more modern lamps and more efficient fixtures plus one more in the trade. You pay your shipping, I trade for shipping on my end in getting rid of the last three brand new and never removed from their shipping box in only one of four held back for my museum stuff literally taking up space on the loading dock in having been removed from the storage building that doesn't have extra space either. Link not posted to the Colortran 10 degree Lekos still weeks later also available if you want a lot of long throw fixtures available and in perfect shape. Even viable still a 5 degree Colortran if you want it. Extra fixtures, you pay the shipping on but otherwise free.

Always interested in adding another fixture to the museum, and the second one I could sent to JSU later this month with my "big trade" that I'm shooting for going down for a duplicate fixture trade that adds to both our collections.

Kliegl ?1357/6W 6x27° Leko pre-1978: 1Kw DWT/EHS/FER RSC Lamp. Axial Base, Missing Iris Slot noted for 1978 Model, Step Lens.

Interesting fixture, thanks. Who ever fixed the bad weld to a shutter in a great idea and well done, but, reinstalled the shutters up side down. A note I have found before on this style of fixture, if the shutters get a little loose spring wise, add a SAE or otherwise washer between the spring and the screw and it will normally fix it in tension given two different heights of springs.

Wow! A lot of surface inner Red rust but not deep imbeded rust, the fixture was in really great shape. CLR’ spray and wiping reedily with paper towels, and at some points green Scotch Brite pads worked well in otherwise hard to get to inner frame parts so as to get to fresh paint/metal/graphite removed. Seems like graphite might have been on a inner glide gate plate and the chemicals did remove the graphite better than grinding with silicone abrasive wheel... Painted fresh cleaned work high temp. black, glide parts graphite spay

Have to try this on shutters because burning thru graphite often burns thru a shutter plate. Shutters cleaned up really well, glad I took photo’s during disassembly overall, than in reassembly reversed the top shutters in realizing this was not how they should function.

Other than backened and pitting on the lamp socket plates... they cleaned up well for a few more years of use once cleaned with many Dremmel silicone abrasive wheels, than cleaner with lubricant.

Lamp socket - I would almost swear this is the exact same “upgrade lamp socket” for the Altman Scoop using the same lamp sockets (Discontinued but I have stock in the upgrade for thus lamp bases - hard to get and entire assembly.) Corporate wise, I believe the Altman scoops are headed for the scrap bin so soon I might become well stocked in this long hard to get extended ceramic RSC type of lamp base, much less the full upgrade that might be the same part for this fixture.

I have not bench focused this fixture yet as often in leaving for most lights in the museum. Mechanically safe and up to factory spec or better in restoration... Mostly figure a future project for some college kids to learn the in this case five screw bench focus for it.

Reflector in this case, I’m not liking in how it relates to the lamp socket - spent a lot of time pre-bench focusing in adjusting it to the reflector.

The bench focus of RSC based Leko’s for me has gone well in the 3.5Q size, but this is an 8" body snouted down to 6". And it’s a 1Kw fixture with mostly discontinued lamp options, so don’t know if it can be bench focused with a modern lamp. Could try, but mostly I’m done with the broom handle light. Or maybe next weekend if board. It's a turd over anything anti-Altman non-friends are... but I remember back to my theater design days.... "My Kingdom for another Leko!" And back than this will probably have been useful. Heck, we made the ColorTran Mini Ellipse make some form of art. But mostly says the demise of Kliegl as a brand.

Attachments

• 20191118_233521.jpg
    20191118_233521.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 108

Users who are viewing this thread

Back