Vintage Lighting Kliegl 3606 Fresnel

rustystuff

I have a Kliegl #3606 Fresnel that I am trying to bring back to life. I need a replacement lens and reflector. (Nothing major, right?) Does anyone know of a possible source for replacement parts? I've been watching the dreaded auction site without much luck, and Google hasn't been very helpful. Or perhaps someone here may have one collecting dust that they'd like out of the way... Thanks!

Yikes. that may be a tall order from the auction sites. Those lights were ubiquitous in the early 1970s but they failed at a spectacular rate not because of electrical issues, but because of the screw feed that adjusted the focus that jammed and then broke. It was also a non-standard lens size (6-3/8") and a non-standard gel frame (7").

I happen to know where there is an unused "dump" off them, but do not have ready access to them. :(

Too bad the lens is an unusual size. I've got a stack of Altman 65Q (6") lenses that I'm willing to let go for cheap.

1) Kliegl #3606 6" Fresnel, c. 1978, - Texture Black: 500w G-9.5 EHD Medium 2Pin Lamp. (Replaced 6.1/4" Lens for fabricated 6" lens.)

My notes on one in the museum differ from the above in lens size. Could be an interesting notes veses actual correction.

Reflector is easy in any retrofit and should work as well - what'z wrong with the original or is it missing? Just a seat height thing to mount a new reflector into an older Fresnel. Measure the filament center to it's seat height on the plate the reflector is mounted to. Measure the reflector center also and adjust. No big thing. Very possibly with some measuring if missing the entire assembly, the Altman assembly will work just fine dependant on lens center (missing).

Given a G-9.5 lamp socket, it will probably also need replacement as a note as with re-wiring and grounding.

Have to find the 3606 in collection as I totally don't remember this light amongst like 150 on more in collection. Thanks for the screw feed note above. But can pull it and show how I made it serviceable once found.

Main point, I think a 6" Fresnel lens can work in same beam spread but easier and cheaper than in grinding down a 8" lens to actual size or custom ordering. Did it....

Will work on re-post on how to once the fixture is found from the display.

Note... believe 6" Fresnel lenses retail for like $75.00 each. At some point it might not be worth budget (sorry). Let me know if I should find the fixture and show how I did it. But cost of the lens is about the same as a used 6" Fresnel price on the market at this point.

Ship - Thanks again for all your information. Mine is simply missing the lens and reflector. Here are some pictures: DSC01192.JPG DSC01193.JPG
Wiring is in decent shape: No asbestos, insulation and jacket in good shape, everything securely attached. Sheet metal in good shape; some light surface rust inside, a few minor scratches on the outside. The paint color is a textured brown.

Finally had time to pull out a ladder and look at the Kliegl #3606 on display for figuring out how I did the 6" lens retrofit. Had I checked my inventory notes better, I will have noted that I also own one that’s complete, and that’s the one on display. The one I noted in retrofit was to another employee’s light and he took it home. The friend is on tour with no hope of providing photos or specifications on how I replaced his lens with a 65Q lens.
On the other hand in seeing the light, I know what I will have done and how I would approach lens and the reflector issue also.
First, the lens... I would use a 6" Altman Fresnel lens, especially if someone has extras for free. Otherwise suggested retail price is $35.00 new retail, and that with reflector might be about the price of various internet used complete Fresnels that would need work, but less engineering work. Looked into other Altman Fresnel lenses and either the 1KAL is smaller than 6" or another is 6.89" and too big.
Depending on how many lights you want to bring into service, I would have plasma or laser cut some donut rings for the front and rear of the lens so as to bring the opening up to it’s proper size opening to support the now 6" lens. This Kliegl lens is 6.3/8" in dia. I measure about a 3/16" lip/flange on a 6" Fresnel lens (Century) and about 5.3/4" actual opening at the door of the Fresnel rear flange to support the lens. So I would do an O.D. of 6.3/8" and I.D. of 5.11/16" given a thin donut gauge of steel.
Sandwich the lens between the donut plates of like 20-22ga steel cut around 1/16" shorter in ID than that of the first step of the lens. Note, dependant on the rear lens retainer ID., it might not be necessary to cut a donut for it. (Didn’t measure this dia. on the 3606, - but probably necessary the rear donut also.)
If you don’t have that ability to have the donuts made, you can with some work make them by hand - I did with a scribing dividers. Good layout is needed, even better if printing a CADD drawing and sticking it to the metal with a photo fix or light adhesive to be sanded off later. Rough cut the donut with fine tooth jigsaw, band saw or scroll saw, than a good like 80 grit of belt sander paper and a drum sander with equal sandpaper to refine down to 150 grit - and away you go. File and sand the hard edges once sized to the ID so as not to scratch the glass.
As a filler support and cushion to the lens, I would add a 3/16" dia. or slightly larger up to 7/32" silicone O-ring or spline so as to center the lens on the ring instead of the donut. Lens is supported by the O-Ring/Splining material in holding to center. Donut rings just keep it from falling out of the fixture. Might even add some spots of high temp. silicone adhesive to the assembly so as to hold it together during assembly or especially removal.
The steel thickness of the donut should be thin but as safe as possible in balance to support the lens. You also want to take the factory paint off the original part of the rear lens support of the door - every fraction of an inch will count in getting that lens retaining ring to re-mount into its groove. Mask and paint donuts and this door rear ring with high-temp flat black spray paint for a less thick layer of paint covering the metal.
Given the fixture has a lens retaining ring as standard to most Fresnels - a little smaller than normal (like 1/8" dia.), but it’s still with the donuts going to possibly not seat into it’s groove properly (especially with a 7/32" silicone O-Ring. I would add at least three sheet metal screws thru the outer part of the fixture lens housing door recess somewhere in front of the countersunk retaining ring so as to ensure this lens could not pop out and also help seat it. Would take a little thought so as not to put the screw hole too close to the retaining ring in screw now added pressing too hard against the retention ring and possibly break the lens, and also just close enough to tension and keep it in place.
On reflector... assuming nothing similar is sold, I would initially look to the Altman 300L or 650L reflector and retrofit to make this work unless a similar reflector might work better in size. (TBA measuring both reflector in size.) I measure the OD of the Kliegl 6606 reflector flange at 3.1/4" and actual reflector inside the mounting flange at 2.3/4". (Didn’t measure depth.) An Altman 100 "Inkie"would be too small and not near sufficient in heat rating. Suggested retail price on the 300L reflector is $25.00, for the 650L is $32.00.
Main problem is the lamp is seated inside the reflector. It’s a little more concave of a Spherical reflector than a normal Fresnel uses. Might be able to rear mount a 300L or 650L reflector on the rear part of the reflector mount without much loss of light. Given a less concave reflector on the Altman reflectors, more distance from the filament if you mount the reflector on the rear of it’s mount might work fine. Or you might need to add some standoffs to further distance the reflector optically. Problem is if you add standoffs behind the mount, you will drastically reduce the beam spread of the reflector. Removing the old reflector mounting and creating a new more normal one if even the entire carriage assembly based off a 650L gapping would probably work better. Different lamp in seat height and base type, but proximity of filament center to the reflector and axis of reflector to filament is a base for design still.
Would otherwise be interesting to see if some Omni or Lowel DP’ reflectors might work as a concept.
Note the lamp countersunk into the reflector kind of like on open faced studio lights such as these. I have not checked anything from Mole or Arri amongst other open faced fixture brands at this point, but similar in style of where the lamp is in relation to the reflector. This even if a other than spherical reflector in shape. Challenge is on such open faced studio wash lights is, the lamp changes proximity to the reflector instead of a fixed position to reflector and changing proximity to lens. And the reflector shape is different and might not be as even a beam spread across the lens even if optimized for the lens given its proximity. Still would be curious to look at.
If I were going to do R&D into solving the reflector problem, I might rent the four lights above to start research. Reflector will be the biggest challenge if wanting to get these up and running. Search the theater hard for those reflectors... And also be suspect of the lamp sockets and wiring. If they also need replacement, this project would be over cost effective to do I think.

Photos didn't download. Will find time Tuesday to insert.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

these photos are a 3508 i think the tilt clutch is a bit different as is the lens door. the lense is made by pyrex for Kliegl and has a notch in the bottom to index it with a screw in the mount
i think the reflector in this unit was salvaged from another fixture as it is not quite centered , note tr two screw holes on each side that would match with your type of reflector mount.
other units i have gathering dust have damaged reflectors with two matching notches and a single center screw holding it in place such that there would be no top or bottom to the reflector.
the lens ring is of a bit smaller diameter material than you would find in other manufactures units.

looks like reflector damage was common as it is in the way when you try to pull the lamp especially when the pins welded themselves into the socket.

photos of the 3606

Attachments

• 3606a.jpg
    3606a.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 3606b.jpg
    3606b.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 3606c.jpg
    3606c.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 3606d.jpg
    3606d.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 176
Ship - it's too bad there's only 1 "Like" button. I'd happily click on more. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with me and everybody else that reads your informative posts.

Will try to do some R&D over the weekend, I have all the fixtures in stock at work but most are in storage. Too bad you are so far away or it could be tinkering time. How many lights are you trying to bring back into service?

Sounds like Tom K has some RSC reflectors - they were the original halogen fixture reflectors for a 2.3/8" 400w lamp. Very rare to find part. I have one
Kliegl #3506 6" Quartz Fresnel c. 1964, (has RSC double ended base) 400w, R-7s and there is a large amount of advertising in the Kliegl archives about them. Possibly the dual notch reflectors are from some of the above 3506 or a similar dual ended lamped fresnels which got upgraded to single ended higher output normal BTL series lamps. I know my 3506 which is standard Fresnel length and shape, I upgraded with an entire socket/reflector assembly to a 65Q years ago and it worked perfectly. Was a huge challenge to restore it later.

I'm typing under the light of a c.1964 50w lamped RSC based #1341 3.5" Leko right now. Perfect bench focus even with the long linear filament. They might not have enough output for modern standards but lamped down for home needs are perfect. Something the 3500 series of Kliegl does better than any other fixture - you can lamp them way down in wattage with cheap commercial lamps.

So which is the model with the screw Feed handle on the back as a crank,, not on the side as a knob? I had a few of the crank style in college, and was always fond of their output and zoom range.

I found 5 of these in my theater recently. 2 work, the other 3... No clue, but I'll be following this thread closely.

Had a little while to look at the 3606 as with a Omni Light and 650L reflectors today. No hope of modifying it short of the above 3506 reflectors for a reflector solution. It would also seem that what I thought was a 3506 in my collection is now a unknown brand RSC (R-7s) 2.3/8" based Fresnel in not otherwise making sense given the Kliegl website photo and design problems below. By far a different fixture what I have and more related to a 65Q than the 3506.
It is fairly clear that this #3606 Fresnel was designed in 1964 as a whole new #3506 kind of Fresnel all around the 400w Quartz lamp concept and a long focus length. Just as with the 3.5" Lekos I mention invented around that lamp. The 3.5" Leko’s I think a new invention all together in about 1964, but possibly from Colortran doing so and the Kliegl model to follow - believe I heard Colortran invented the 3.5" Leko and have one of them = does seem less refined of a design. The Kliegl website highlights that they did the first quartz/halogen Fresnel and it as a 400w halogen lamp which probably could compete with a 500w incandescent Fresnel.
So here is the problems in just adding a different reflector or installing a new mounting for the reflector. I think this is also the design challenges the designers of the s #3606 will have come up with in using the #3506 body, but trying to install a higher wattage and more efficient lamp as similar to those as a goal commonly used in Leko’s. Good selling point to have a Leko and Fresnel both using the same lamp. Unfortunately on the #3606, it just was so well designed for a RSC lamp, it was really impossible to retrofit it for an efficient use of the new lamp. Reflector was too far in front of the lamp, and to complicate it, the really well working design of a focus mechanism is too close to the reflector to move it back. This short of a total re-design of the entire lamp socket/reflector and focus mechanism. Could be done but starting from scratch so as to work inside the 1964 carriage = everything on the carriage.
Kliegl was probably in their last days of greatness and didn’t re-design the carriage. Why you are probably missing all reflectors is because Kliegl just put the new lamp into the design for the RSC lamp carriage which was too close to the reflector and the reflectors burned out. Someone didn’t care enough that it wasn’t a very efficient output and also testing of higher wattage was ignored in problems. My #3606 came from Jackson State University, lost contact with the CB member I traded it for. He could probably tell more.
But in the end, I think the RSC reflecors are the best solution as with 6" Fresnel lenses sandwitched in donuts. Won’t loose a lot of output in doing either as this Fresnel once modified is about a half step beyond a PC without reflector. They will throw light on the source, but are not in further modification much worth time. Sorry and if you have time and can get lenses and reflectors above... go for it. I can remember "My Kindom for another Leko" days, in everything helps create magic. But it would be a lot of hard work to make these semi-useful and only as secondary as a light.

Last edited:
I need to give a huge "thank you" to forum member "venuetech", a.k.a Tom K, who was kind enough to send me the lens, reflector, and retaining ring I needed to complete this project. I received them this morning, and all items arrived intact (no doubt due to the careful packing). This forum is an unbelievable resource... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back