Kliegl Bros. 8" Fresnels

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I've got about 5 of these fixtures with no yokes. I did some googling and found the kleiglbros.com site, but is it worth it (or possible) to replace the yokes on these? I have no idea why they would've been removed in the first place, nothing else (save for some rust/dust) is wrong and the reflectors in most of them look brand new.

Thanks!
-ED

I happen to have 4 Kleigl 8" fresnels that I am looking to get rid of. Three are in good outer shape (coincidentally the reflectors and sockets are burned up) and the 4th has been gutted for some reason (no lens either).

Anyway, if you want I can take some pictures and send you the instruments/parts for a fair (very cheap) price if they turn out to be the right ones.

Do your fixtures use base-down or linear lamps? Mine are linear which I have heard bad things about but hey, they are fresnels. Plus those lamps should be easy to find.

PM me for details.

These are base down. I don't know too much about them other than the fact that they might predate the building they're currently in, no part numbers- presumably on the yokes. I've got some Altman 75Q's that in service and was wondering how these would match up with them for down/side lighting.

Kind of a classy looking luminaire, it's a shame these guys don't make them anymore. The wood handle on the back is nice.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The "kliegl" logo sticker indicates these Fresnels are from the early 1980s. Similar to the 3608, but with a different socket. Yours take a mogul prefocus base lamp, probably the 1000W BVT. While the pictures show a friction disc tilt lock system; I suspect yokes could be easily fabricated from 1"x1/8" strap steel, and just use T-handles on both sides. Performance should be similar, perhaps slightly better, than the Altman 75Q.

The "kliegl" logo sticker indicates these Fresnels are from the early 1980s. Similar to the 3608, but with a different socket. Yours take a mogul prefocus base lamp, probably the 1000W BVT. While the pictures show a friction disc tilt lock system; I suspect yokes could be easily fabricated from 1"x1/8" strap steel, and just use T-handles on both sides. Performance should be similar, perhaps slightly better, than the Altman 75Q.

Did a bit of research- these were originally donated to the school from a TV studio that was upgrading their fixtures. No clue about the missing yokes, but that does explain the 1980's lights in a 1990's building.

I agree. Definitely late Kliegl Bros. equipment; should work fine and the lamps are still made/used today.

Good golly Miss Molly, you're right. Makes sense, as the TV studios prefer the mogul bi-post base lamps. So maybe they are 3608 s; the cut sheet says 1978.

Good golly Miss Molly, you're right. Makes sense, as the TV studios prefer the mogul bi-post base lamps. So maybe they are 3608 s; the cut sheet says 1978.

Sorry I posted w/o words above - I'm sure there would be smiles on faces. New work computer IP address appairently isn't able to also post to the account I think. Altman yokes would work fine most likely or a bit of time in making them - though the friction disc would be a small challenge. I would Altman Yoke it in being more cost effective and even if off a little... bends on a yoke can be considered fine. Without checking, possible the Kliegl 8" was sold in both versions as base to LCL height is probably the same = it is not only LCL but actual height in the seat of the lamp base.

Working on some Bantam Superspots at the moment that were appairently a 1Kw 4.5" Fresnel version that are only missing their rear caps to the forced air cooling assembly to them. Have one complete with a bad fan and four just missing that one cap and the fan. I believe fans going bad might have been a reason such fixtures didn't become popular in probably not only over-heating the fixture but also destroying the silvered reflector that took hours to restore as best I could. Never seen a P-28s Medium Pre-focus lamp socket from Amphinol before, much less one marked 1,000W/250V and Air Cooled as stamped on the socket.

Point is that I have one I can probably after sand blasting and full restore bring back to museum quality and perhaps even make the fan work again one. For about a year now I have been searching for something similar to the missing lamp caps on the other four fixtures though without results. The theater they came from basically swept the floors and thru out all the old parts. Fabricated a lot of parts to the other four fixtures in even getting decent with silver braizing for fabricating other missing parts but in even thru work talking with the Mgr... not really viable to fabricate four of these parts.

Instead I'm making them into A-19 lamp fixtures so as to light my future living room or if necessary sell off as per a 100w fixture in the future. It's missing an important part and won't matter by way of now A-Lamp use it's preformance. Problem came up in comparing a BTL lamp in the lamp socket and the 60w clear A-19 lamp in socket chosen was right around 1/2" diffeence in seat height for similar filament height. Custom make a 1/2" spacer plate between base of lamp and focus plate and you are in business.

Done this many times if the case that it's a different seat height from a 3Kw Kliegl Dyna Beam followspot in making it into a 2Kw CYX lamped fixture, to at times going down in seat heat. Also converted many Euro fixtures to US sockets and lamps given the concept of as long as you get the filament height correct another lamp will work fine. Even converted some Edison Lekos and a 1928 Major PC fixture to color changing LED medium screw lamps.

In other words, what is above in being Mog. Bi-post if correct can possibly be switched to Mog Pre-Focus and if off in filament center, it's often easy in adding a platform under the lamp socket so as to make it work with a new lamp. Even converted 10Kw Mole Fresnes to 2Kw Fresnels with some welded up spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back