Last time you were in the theater...

TheDonkey

What did you do?
ie, for those that work in theaters, what did you do the last time you were there?

I spent 2 hours today painting our whole stage and Levels Matte black.
Then spent 5 more hours figuring out how to get a checkerboard pattern going that stays clean over all the levels and condenses to a forced perspective.

It was an odd experience having 20 people constantly walk up to you asking which line to paint(I'm terrible with a chalk line, especially with 6 different height levels and no laserline)

It was a day spent with friends and wireless mics and music, and it was a really really fun day. My feet are killing me >.<

The CMT tour was my last show, loaded in the electrics, did the truss focus, ran a spot light and packed their crap back up. A pretty normal day at the theater.

Same thing I do every day... kept the kids from burning the place down and made sure they left with all the appendages they showed up with.

I rebuilt a Martin Roboscan 918, put together a couple of 50' extension cords, cut gel for an upcoming show, taught somebody how to program a step effect on an ETC Ion for a dance show that's in this weekend, painted the stage floor, and rehearsed the choreography for our upcoming production of Just So.

I am right now ;)

I came in at noon to clean the contacts on our cyc lights. Then wrote light cues for the jazz show that is going on right now.

Yea... So our dinner break was at 5, and I had some where at 5:30 so I had to go immediately. They took forever to set up, so the ast. production manager told them that I had to go immediately at 5 so they had to speed up and do a run through, so I can make cues before the show. The lead guy then says... Its a jazz concert not a light show we dont need any lights... :rolleyes:

I don't remember the last time I left the theatre this week... I have been in tech for "The Light in the Piazza," and when we were not in tech we have been doing worknotes. You all know how it goes. However, this week I got lots of overtime AND holiday pay!

I was in yesterday prepping for the senior drama class’s individual performances… Setting the lights up and finishing their sound Qs. Not one of the seniors who told me they were going to do tech showed up (I’m a junior and don’t even take theatre). Well this isn’t What Went Wrong so ill stop it at that.

Since it was the last day of school before Thanksgiving break, I asked a few of my teachers if I could spend class in the Black Box "helping out." Out of 8 periods, I spent 6 there, only 3 were actually classes I have there. I wasn't even a part of the crew, I just kinda chilled as the shows went on and helped my teacher if she asked.

being a one man tech dept. in the community theater here, I've mopped then painted the deck over the weekend. Next up reworking some flats and then cleaning the lens in abut 85 instruments. We are dark until probably late Feb. so there is time to do LOTS of catching up.

This afternoon I was in doing a little bit of re-working my general catwalk lights to get a better wash :rolleyes: Also managed to semi-bench focus the old SC Lekolights on the catwalk, waiting for the time to do a full bench in March-April. Then I reset the board and programmed in the few basic cues for our Reader's Theatre Performance this weekend. Kinda sad - it took me weeks to get everything set for our musical but only two hours to have everything set for this show... probably would have been only one if I hadn't reworked the catwalk...

K, I'm not going to elaborate 'cause I wanna sleep, but...

we had a load-in/setup this afternoon which sucks more than usual due to the fact that for the first time ever, our "theatre space" is a gym that's been around probably since the school opened in 1969. Also doesn't help that we have to rent video equipment since our football team is still in the playoffs and we have to film both.

So all in all: seating risers, marley laying, re-arranging fullsize mirrors, setting up christmas trees, unloading a truckload off stuff, moving speakers across school, setting up a wooden backdrop many times, and plenty of other stuff.

Today was spent trying to find my desk. It was buried under a mountain of LDI literature I've been receiving for the last month from various vendors and manufacturers. I finally found it this afternoon.

Yesterday was much more fun. I joined our shop staff at our off site storage facility to retrieve some of our old sculpture sets for use in next summer's Pageant. Four of the eight set pieces we were supposed to get, were too tall to fit in the truck. We should have rented a stake bed instead of a bobtail. So next week, the shop guys get to go get the rest of the sets while I'm on vacation. No, I'm not going anywhere. I'm just taking a week off.:dance:

Last edited:
Like every day, I met with my designers while the actors did warmups/a Meisner workshop, ran a successful rehearsal, kept my director on schedule, met with the publicity staff after rehearsal, then had a short meeting with my director about the day's happenings before heading home.

Lets see... I ASM'ed a show, then 15 minutes later started striking lights. (and by strike, I mean remove)

... I laid down on some of the seats thinking about the time I've spent there and what precious little I've got left before graduation in May.

Well, we had our first two days of casting call for the 2009 Pageant of the Masters for two hours on Saturday night and three hours on Sunday afternoon. We had about 800 people sign up for the show over the course of the two sessions. We expect another 400-500 on the third and final night of casting this Thursday.

In the mean time, I've spent the last couple of days working on installing our new backstage work lights.

I started a lighting revamping - 42 instruments, ION, 1x20 wing, cabling, storing the old gear, and hanging a rep plot. Oh, and trying to find somewhere to hide 50+ boxes since they took away our dumpster...someone wasn't thinking about that one.

i was installing/building stud legs for the show i'm working on. this wouldn't be such a big deal, however, the stage is built from scratch in our studio blackbox and needs to be able to be flooded with water! it's quite a fun and exciting adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back