Last time you were in the theater...

Since I am a technician, director and actor, I was last in a theatre rehearsing with the cast of our next show. Its not as exciting as allot of other stuff but hey its theatre so its all good right?

The last time I was in the theatre was dropping off a load of sound gear for our show which opens next friday, and giving a hand building and flying one of the set walls. The slightly worrying thing is that we've had our first walk-through in the threatre cancelled because they are way behind schedule with putting up the set.

I don't remember the last time I was not in the theatre... :rolleyes:

Right now I'm sitting in the local community theaters performance space. I designed lights for this show, but have never seen it from the house. It's gonna be nice watching a show and not having to run anything. I don't remember the last time I've done this.

The last time I was in a theatre, I went to class, put in a few hours on a lathe project, started another carpentry project, troubleshot a tracked wagon that kept hopping the track, held a torch while my prof bent steel and played Mario kart. I love this place....

turns out the knife on the wagon kept jumping the track because the crew members who pull it off have no idea what theyre doing and have been lifting it up then pulling it for the past week of the show's run... it has castors for a reason

Well...

The last time i was in our theatre, i completely cleaned out our shop and put everything back, moved 300 seats, did a bench focus for a speaker week after next (we are on spring break currently), went on 5 hour trip to Jackson, MS, competed in a poetry contest (Poetry Out Loud) but only made it to state finals were i placed like 5th. Oh Well. Printed 15 scripts for our church easter play, and passed out on the couch in the green room. That was a 20 hour day.

Im off for the next week, so had to get everything done.

About the pay for school hours, I get paid during school hours, it makes my parents mad that i miss class. during these usually boring programs i play solitaire on the booth computer or catch up on my second priority graduating from high school.

during these usually boring programs i play solitaire on the booth computer or catch up on my second priority graduating from high school.

Hm...

Solitaire...

Graduating...

Solitaire...

Graduating....

I think I'd pick graduating if I were you.

Last...time lets see...oh wail I'm here. Babysitting a dance competition...on hour 11 of my 3rd 18+ hour day in a row.

Today running lights for a small play 10am-11:30am then 5:30pm-6:00pm dropping off gels and frames

Got to the theatre at 5AM Saturday, an hour before any of those going on competition later that day.

Focused the rest of a plot for a show in-house that I wasn't going to be there that night for because of the competition an hour and a half away.

Opened up the doors to the boiler room/loading dock/backstage/26' Penske so we could load the set into the truck and leave by 6:30.

Rode passenger in the truck to our competition in Brockton MA.

Headed up the unloading of the truck and fixed one of the flats that snapped on it's way up the stairs of the building.

Loaded my show into the Express at the school and ran my lights for our competition performance at 9:30.

Loaded the set out and into the truck. Then proceeded to watch the other 5 shows that were competing that day with periodic breaks in-between.

Attended that awards ceremony and then proceeded to leave headed back to school.

Got back to school at 11, and unloaded the set into the boiler room because the concert was still going on.

Checked on the Board op and sat in the booth for the rest of the concert.

Went home around midnight and got some well needed sleep.

I rebuilt a Martin Roboscan 918, put together a couple of 50' extension cords, cut gel for an upcoming show, taught somebody how to program a step effect on an ETC Ion for a dance show that's in this weekend, painted the stage floor, and rehearsed the choreography for our upcoming production of Just So.

Wow- that's quite a day! Yours too Sam-
I hope my wife doen't read these posts, they'll make me look LAZY!

I tried to find the floor and desk in my office.

I failed.:doh::(
If someone gives you flak over not having a visible desk, suggest they pull out the chair, lie on the floor, and look up. The bottom of my desk is clearly visible. That counts, right?

The top appears to be a firm foundation for gels, lost tools, old plots, and anything I haven't filed properly since...last year.

Saturday, arrived at the theatre at 9 AM with donuts for my student crew and left around 9 PM with an empty box and a sense of accomplishment. Not my longest day, certainly, but the longest in last 2 years. Got a good 4 hours without students contantly calling my name so that was worth staying late.

Saturday: 8am - setup and pre-focus lights, 3pm - load-in National Acrobats of China truck, 5pm - got out of the Acrobats way and let them do whatever it is they do for rigging (scary!), 6:30pm - final focus and light cue programming, 8pm - show, 10pm - watched the fastest and most effecient load-out I've ever seen. The Acrobats wouldn't let our local crew touch anything and they had their tractor trailer packed and off the loading dock in 20 minutes!

Spent the last two days packing in the New Zealand premiere of Miss Saigon which opens in just under a fortnight! The helicopter will be operational tomorrow and the giant American flag has had its 1014 lightbulbs put in it - bring on the technical rehearsals!

Lasst time for me was last week with a local Battle of the Bands in the school theater, but things like that pay off when you get free tickets to your highschool senior prom :D .

Same thing I do every day... kept the kids from burning the place down and made sure they left with all the appendages they showed up with.

You sound like a venue tech i used to work with at a school.

Spent the last two days packing in the New Zealand premiere of Miss Saigon which opens in just under a fortnight! The helicopter will be operational tomorrow and the giant American flag has had its 1014 lightbulbs put in it - bring on the technical rehearsals!
ahahah Miss Saigon's last stop before heading sheep side was Melbourne, and i remember them bitching about something to do with set frailty issues:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back