Last time you were in the theater...

I was there an hour ago. January is the slow time of the season. Doing lots of cleaning/throwing stuff out. Music festivals coming up in a couple of weeks.

Started getting ready for Winter Play, Musical Comedy Murders of 1940...

Oh, dear... they have to build a revolving book case and a sliding book case. This is going to get ugly. Very ugly.

Started getting ready for Winter Play, Musical Comedy Murders of 1940...

Oh, dear... they have to build a revolving book case and a sliding book case. This is going to get ugly. Very ugly.

We did that. It ended up being my favorite show I've ever worked on-- the set was awesome. Revolving/sliding wasn't fun to build, but looked really, really cool once it was in place.

We did that. It ended up being my favorite show I've ever worked on-- the set was awesome. Revolving/sliding wasn't fun to build, but looked really, really cool once it was in place.

We did a production of "Clue" (the musical) and did the same thing. Things were fine until they decided they wanted the actors to enter on the revolves along with the set pieces.... (!ZOMG! the turntable broke!)

Also a slow time here before the musical season ramps up. I spent the better part of the night on the Genie pulling 2500 feet of Cat 6 cable from backstage to the booth.

Well... I ran our projector and sound stuff so my English class could watch a production of The Glass Menagerie. As soon as that was up and running, I wondered why the head sound tech gelled our booth lights red since they're normally blue and now much brighter. Then I took a nap next to the Sound Rack.

After that was done, I took some pictures of the theatre to include in my senior project since nobody will understand any of my technical jargon. Bleh.

Last edited:
We installed a 30' revolve and tested it. It took a bit of tweaking before we could get the chain tensioned properly. I had a minor brain fart and ALMOST installed the wrong gear on the motor. We began to build the sorround as well.

~Dave

I got drafted to help get the set for our next show out of the truck and into the theatre. In the cold. And the snow. Then spent the afternoon in the basement, digging for pipe and platforms in the storage spaces.

I was just in the theatre doing light focus. The show is going into Tech week tomorrow, but I'm not involved- I was just there for the hang and focus.

Right now! I'm in intermission waiting for the Alberta Country Legends concert to resume. Have you ever done a show that you don't need to do anything for? I think i changed the lights 4 times in the first half... I'll see how many I need to do in the second. lol.

Right now! I'm in intermission waiting for the Alberta Country Legends concert to resume. Have you ever done a show that you don't need to do anything for? I think i changed the lights 4 times in the first half... I'll see how many I need to do in the second. lol.

Been there, done that, speakers coming in to talk about stuff in schools is best.

Been there, done that, speakers coming in to talk about stuff in schools is best.

Oh so true, so true. Especially since I'm the one who gets to miss class to turn the lights on then sleep the rest of the period. But I would never admit to the teachers & administrators.
:whistle:

Oh so true, so true. Especially since I'm the one who gets to miss class to turn the lights on then sleep the rest of the period. But I would never admit to the teachers & administrators.
:whistle:
I have a deal that if the Speaker's getting paid for being there, so do I :D

Although it usually takes a couple weeks of reminding the admin to pay the poor tech, it happens.

So, I get to skip class, catch up on homework or web design from my laptop on the school network(Remote desktop to my computer), and get paid for it too :D

I have a deal that if the Speaker's getting paid for being there, so do I :D

Although it usually takes a couple weeks of reminding the admin to pay the poor tech, it happens.

So, I get to skip class, catch up on homework or web design from my laptop on the school network(Remote desktop to my computer), and get paid for it too :D

You just gave me a glimpse of heaven... ok, so I'm not big on web design, but I'm all for doing tech stuff to miss class, even if it isn't much, let alone getting paid for it.

A really tough day today.

I have removed the cover from the Steinway Grand Piano and turned on the stage lights.

Next, I have a tour to give to the local Convention and Visitor's Bureau.

Then, I have a meeting with the local symphony orchestra reps for their upcoming concert on the 21st.

Sometimes, life is just too easy.

Rich

Yesterday:

2 Performances of "Story Theatre" for Elementary kids, grade k-3, 940 butts in seats.
Company Meeting.
Finish Tweaking a Lobby Display
Set Up Box Office PC for Evening Show
Evening Performance of "Story Theatre"
Recount Box Office.

Today:
Prep Crew Sign Up lists for February/March Concerts/Road Shows
Meet with a Client for June Facility Rental
Buy Food Props for Tour
Pick Up Truck for Tour
Load Truck for Tour
Start import of sound cues for Cabaret/Variety show for next week.
Watch "Battlestar Galactica" when I get home.

Tomorrow:
Tour of "Story Theatre" leaves at (ulp) 5:45 AM.
Load in 7:00 AM
Perform 11:00 AM
Load Out 1:00 PM
Get home 11:00 PM (if lucky)

The beginning of a Looooong February/March Grind.

The Amazing Kreskin shook my hand.... or rather arm, or body...... Now I need a chiropractor again... Howard Stern was right.

You just gave me a glimpse of heaven... ok, so I'm not big on web design, but I'm all for doing tech stuff to miss class, even if it isn't much, let alone getting paid for it.

I asked on Friday, and turns out I can't legally be paid for teching on school hours, it's a conflict of interests pulling me out of an education to tech >.<

Still gets me out of classes and gives me time to web design though :p

I'm in the theatre RIGHT NOW, painting a 25' x 15' blue sky drop. And it's not bad, especially since I haven't really painted for years.
... Still have to paint the **** newsdesk... stupid woodgrain...
Then tomorrow I have to finish hang/focus for levelset Saturday.

I asked on Friday, and turns out I can't legally be paid for teching on school hours, it's a conflict of interests pulling me out of an education to tech >.<

Still gets me out of classes and gives me time to web design though :p

I've gotten paid several times for getting out of class. Makes my mom mad as hell, but the school really doesn't give us too much flak. Most of the gigs I work during the school day are school board meetings and a few things with the mayor of Ashland.

How ironic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back