Design LED Cyc wash

So, I need to make a sunrise happen on the CYC. A brilliant sunrise.

My initial thought was just to use some Ground row cyc cells with an orangeish gel. But looking more at a real sunrise, there's so many different colors that a sunrise goes through. So I started thinking about LED wash lights.
Any thoughts?

I've been looking at the Color Kinetics ColorBlasts.
Any other ideas of perhaps better LED's to light a CYC?
Any idea how many it would take to wash a 35ft wide CYC from the ground?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you're really intent on doing a color changing sunrise, I would recommend using Colorblazes rather than the Blasts. They are more like striplights so you'll have less spottiness. They come in two different sizes: 48" and 72" so you'll need 6 72s or 9 48s. They are real easy to address and you can divide the units into indivdually controllable segments (up to 12 on the 72 model).

Another good product would be the Seledor7 fixtures. These implement 7 colored LEDs for a wider range of color mixing. They are a little more difficult con control(7-8 channels each) but if you really need specific dead on color mixing this might be your better choice.

Give your local rental shop a call and ask to demo them side by side. Then you can see which colors are possible with which fixture and you can make your decision.

Keep in mind, you can still do this with gel. Use a multi cell cyc fixture and use gel colors that are appropriate on their own and mix well together along the progression of your sunrise. Some slow cueing will blend the colors step by step.

Good luck.

If you pick the right colors for your conventionals, you can make a really nice sunrise. If you are going to use LEDs, you want Colorblazes, PixelLines (gives you RGBA in some cases), or Selador strips (7 color mixing).

Ah, Derek beat me to it.

Back in the day when I had a cyc to play with all the time, I created a sunrise or a sunset by using ground row cyc strips and one or two 6 or 8 inch fresnel fixtures right in the middle of the ground row pointed up at the cyc for the sun. The ground row I had gelled red, blue, green and amber and the center fresnels I gelled a darker amber or orange. Aside from that, the sunrise or sunset was created on the console. In my experience, conventional fixtures are better suited for cyc effects. However, a good array of LED fixtures might produce a wider variety of color schemes/effects. I recommend going the traditional route for the sake of budget and creativity.

I have done cycs with LEDs or with traditional units. Just think about a sunrise and be creative! Use a lot of different units with different patterns and gels. Layer and then change.

Mike

To add to esoteric's comment... research research research. Find as many photos of sunsets that you can, choose your favorites and interpret them using your own artistic vision. Layers always look beautiful.

The best sunrise/sunset I have ever seen was done using S4 pars on vertical pipes either side of the cyc with scrollers on them.

Most realistic one I have ever seen.

The best sunset i have ever seen was done with the sun and the gulf coast of florida on a spring evening ;) First time i had ever seen the sun set over water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back