LED CYCS

I've used the Altman Spectra Cycs and the saturation and evenness can't compare to a halogen cyc light. It is a little disappointing to design with halogen cyc lights and not get the punchiness of LED. They are RGBA instruments, so getting a nice amber isn't an issue like it can be trying to mix red and green. When used in default settings, you can perceive the steps while changing the level, I have heard it can be eliminated using 16 bit dimming and turning the smoothing mode on, but I haven't tried that.

I've used the Altman Spectra Cycs and the saturation and evenness can't compare to a halogen cyc light. It is a little disappointing to design with halogen cyc lights and not get the punchiness of LED. They are RGBA instruments, so getting a nice amber isn't an issue like it can be trying to mix red and green. When used in default settings, you can perceive the steps while changing the level, I have heard it can be eliminated using 16 bit dimming and turning the smoothing mode on, but I haven't tried that.

Yes, when they're in 16-bit mode, the fixtures have incredibly smooth dimming and color changing. I was actually very pleasantly surprised by their performance. The amber LED is nice, but it's actually pretty dim, so achieving the light ambers like R08 isn't easy. You also won't get close to the color temperature of a halogen Open White, so if that's something that is important to you, expect to hang a conventional system alongside the LEDs. Like most LEDs, the less saturate colors are a little dimmer than their conventional counterparts, but once you get into deep colors, they outperform dark colored halogen fixtures. The spread between fixtures is as good or better than our Ground Cycs, and vertical spread is almost identical. Overall they're a great fixture if you're looking for a J-type reflector fixture.

For scrape fixtures, Colorblazes are the way to go. I can go into more detail if you like, but they're great scrape fixtures and will easily replace your MR16 strips.

I'm actually somewhat confused by ZMB's statement regarding the eveness of the Spectra CYCs. Having used the Spectra CYC 100 for a season, I was actually incredibly impressed by how even their outut was, but not incredibly surprised as the reflector is so large in comparison to conventional CYC fixtures with asymetrical reflectors and the source is wider.

rochem said:
For scrape fixtures, Colorblazes are the way to go. I can go into more detail if you like, but they're great scrape fixtures and will easily replace your MR16 strips.

I'd MUCH rather have Colorforces, or Selador strips, instead of Colorblazes, especially in a theatrical venue. For the money, the Chauvet Colorado 72 & 144 shouldn't be discounted either.

And when did people start calling strip lights 'scrape' instruments?

And when did people start calling strip lights 'scrape' instruments?

I've heard that term when distinguishing cyc fixtures intended to be hung close to a drop (striplights) from fixtures intended to be hung further away (Sky Cycs). It could be just a local colloquialism though. Is there a better term?

It could be just a local colloquialism though. Is there a better term?

I've heard it too, from a friend. Of course, he went to SUNY Purchase, so it still could be a local (to you) term. I do like the term "scrape/scraper" in reference to LED strips (or any fixture, really) since it accurately describes how they're being used.

... And when did people start calling strip lights 'scrape' instruments?
I believe I first heard the term used by our own BillConnerATSC only a few days ago, on these very pages, but I, too, fully approve. Only in reference to LED striplight s, however.

I tend to separate LEd units for sky drops and cycs into two groups - cycs - which is kind of short for far cycs - and scrapers - which it seems were the predominating style early. The Selador Classic - which we speced for several projects - are not what I would typically call a strip light but I suppose could be, but do a much better sky drop job when close to drop. I prefer the space savings but recognize units like the PLcyc - 4-5' from the drop - can do the job with fewer units so save money - at the cost of several feet of stage depth.

I am using Vivid R and love them. Besides the colors, blending, and vivid bright, they work well with special effects.

I'm using 8 x 11" Vivid-Rs right now for a 40 foot pipe and it works really well, actually. The colors are truly amazing!
However, I'm thinking about using those as a ground row next time the plot switches over, and adding conventional sky cycs, to be able to light the cyc better and to have a nice open white for drops. The only issue I'm worried about is how well LED and conventional will mix, so it'll be an interesting experiment!

I'm using 8, 63" Vivid-Rs for a 60' x 22' cyc. The colors are, as azylka said amazing. The 4th electric is about 5' DS of the cyc and they do a good job of covering about 20' of the 22. There are 14 in the inventory and I think the idea was to do 7 on the electric and 7 as a ground row. That would be amazing, but I don't want a ground row permanently on stage and 8 from the top do very nicely. The most confusing thing in my inventory are 6, 3 cell Aurora ground row fixtures. I'm not sure where those fit with my LED inventory. They're still in boxes, so I wonder if Phillips would be willing to trade for something more useful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back