Design LED Lighting Suggestions

carsonld

We currently are looking into buying some LED fixtures for flood use. I being the lighting designer am wanting to get 12 of the LED fixtures to use as backlighting and flood. We also are looking for some lighting for out cyclorama, I am currently using scoops which work perfect but our PAC manager insist on getting LEDs for it. I'm not sure what I need to be looking for, but I am more worried about the flood lights than anything, our first electrical is at 22' our second is at 21' and so is our third. I am hoping to spend less than 1,000 on each fixture, since we are needing 12. Our procemious arch is 50'. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get?

I'm currently looking at a Chauvet colorado 1 tri tour, Chauvet slim par tri 12, or a Chauvet slim par pro RGBA

Last edited:
I'd say that all of those are under-powered for a space that size. I'd look at the Chauvet COLORdash PAR Quad 18 or the Elation Opti Par QA as minimum, and possibly go up from there. I've had good luck with the Elation RGBA products as far as colors & dimming go.

The Chauvet products all say not to plug them into dimmers. Any suggestion on how we should power them on the overhead electrics? Could I just set my dimmers to non-dim or something? I'm looking into making a similar purchase.

The Chauvet products all say not to plug them into dimmers. Any suggestion on how we should power them on the overhead electrics? Could I just set my dimmers to non-dim or something? I'm looking into making a similar purchase.

"Non-dim" is not the same as "not a dimmer". The waveform is different. If the fixture's power supply isn't fussy then you may get away with it. In the worst case it can kill the fixture. If you go the non-dim route then configuring the behaviour at the rack rather than the console is better.

What sort of dimmer rack do you have? Some of them let you swap a dimmer for a relay or constant current module.

@carsonld, the best solution is to convert some of your dimmed circuits to constant-on modules. This is easily done if the dimming system is an ETC Sensor system, as they sell a constant (circuit breaker only) module that swaps for a dimmer module.

If you are doing work lights, I would not be looking at PAR LED style units as they typically do not have a lot of beam spread. @Footer just replaced a bunch of his flood lights with L&E fixtures. Flood Lights . See the thread Conventional Fixtures - The $1,200 Worklight | ControlBooth .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
"Non-dim" is not the same as "not a dimmer". The waveform is different. If the fixture's power supply isn't fussy then you may get away with it. In the worst case it can kill the fixture. If you go the non-dim route then configuring the behaviour at the rack rather than the console is better.

What sort of dimmer rack do you have? Some of them let you swap a dimmer for a relay or constant current module.

I have a sensor 3 rack. Currently all circuits are using d20 modules. All though I believe I have some non-dim units in a box somewhere. Any idea what the non-dim units are called?

You're looking for either R20s, CC20s, or TP20s. Ideally you could use TP20s and configure on the fly as either relay or dimmer. Your local dealer will likely offer you a good credit if you need to swap out modules.

Not sure if there are some buried somewhere, but I do have 3 cc20s on some unused worklight circuits that I can swap out. Good to go. Step 2: decide on which LED's to buy. Currently looking at Chauvet COLORdash PAR Quad 18, BLizzard Puck Pro Zoom, Blizzard Puck Fab 5, and the most recent contender Blizzard HotBox 5 RGBVW (I'm not entirely certain why I need UV, but I am certain that I want it). Going to test some Blizzards tomorrow. Will report back.

Thank you all for your replies! I have got these three things picked out and once again need your feedback or suggestion, I am looking at getting a Acclaim Rebel Band 300 Pro - RGBA - 40 Degree Lens, a Elation Arena Par LED, a Apollo Avid 7 wash, a Multiform HP3-90 IP20 or a Altman 100W RGBA LED Spectra Star Par. I know that Altman and eleation are great companies, but once agin I am not sure what I am looking for. Also do these units have a dimmer built into them or do I have to plug them into one of my dimmers?

Last edited:
Not sure if there are some buried somewhere, but I do have 3 cc20s on some unused worklight circuits that I can swap out. Good to go. Step 2: decide on which LED's to buy. Currently looking at Chauvet COLORdash PAR Quad 18, BLizzard Puck Pro Zoom, Blizzard Puck Fab 5, and the most recent contender Blizzard HotBox 5 RGBVW (I'm not entirely certain why I need UV, but I am certain that I want it). Going to test some Blizzards tomorrow. Will report back.
I have two Blizzard Hotbox 5 RGBVW units to play with for a couple of days. So far I am very impressed with their output. They were able to cut through my front wash at full pretty well. I haven't had a chance to play with the UV yet so I am looking forward to having more time on Monday to put them through their paces. So far though, it's looking like this is the route I'm headed.

I talked to ETC and they just had me program my d20s so that they were in switched mode. In this mode they act like a regular light switch. Anything under 50% is off anything over is on. So far I haven't fried anything.

Are these for downlight? How high off the deck are you hanging them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes for downlight. They are about 16' up. I'll do a side by side comparison with a s4 par on Monday and report back.

Thanks! I'm looking for something that can work in that capacity at about 25' trim with a 40' proscenium and a depth of 30' and a 15' ish apron. It's challenging to find something that works at that level without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm looking for something that can work in that capacity at about 25' trim with a 40' proscenium and a depth of 30' and a 15' ish apron. It's challenging to find something that works at that level without breaking the bank.

Over the summer we changed the wash lights in our black box over to LED. We got several demos and for our throw of around 26 feet the only fixtures that cut it were ETC D60s. Now there have been a few lights released by different manufactures since then that may work for you but a 25 foot throw needs a bunch of powerful leds to do much. BTW we are very happy with the D60 Vivid fixture and would recommend it highly.

I am running elation par zooms at 19 feet. I don't think they would punch at 25. also running the vivid R at 25 feet. I am very happy with them they are very bright.

at 25 feet I would look at the Blizzard rockboxes. they way more powerful and just as flexible. I haven't got to use one, but since the hotboxes are half the price and work for me, I am pretty much sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back