LED Theatre Worklight Opinions

Hello,

I'm looking upgrade a few of our older lights at a private high school theatre here in SF. The ceiling height is only 11' (seriously) and they have been using scoops as worklights since I was there in 85. I'm look at some LED worklights which would be a heck of a lot more efficient than the scoops and would save on bulbs too. I was wondering if anyone has used or seen these lamps in action?

Osram Kreios 60 watt (60W) LED Flood Work Light

Opinions? Because of space I was considering getting colortran quartz lights like what we use on touring productions for worklights off of the trusses, but LED seemed like a better idea.

Personally, I love them! (But I'm biased.)

:)

Do not buy the Chinese knock off version of those, they do not likely being turned on and off frequently.

Yeah I was really impressed with the demo I saw in person. There is also a higher power version which last I heard was "coming soon" and should probably be out by now.

Have you guys got the big one out yet Mark?

What systems is the dimming compatible on? Can it be operated of a standard sensor dimmer or does it have to be a standard resistance dimmer? As this is marketed towards theatres I am hoping it is easy to integrate into a control system infrastructure.

From what I can read in the literature there's no DMX or ACN so I wouldn't be able to just connect it to the lighting control system.

These would be a nice addition... wouldn't have to leave all the Par Cans on all day to satisfy the teachers in the school I work at.

Sorry in advance if I take this thread too far off-topic. I recently heard (from a salesperson, so caveat emptor) that some users are buying this unit Showline SL NITRO 510 - Philips for use as a worklight. Yes, it's designed as a strobe, but has a 100% duty-cycle (not sure exactly what "Blinder effect : Full on capability of nearly unlimited duration without any loss in output" means), is quite bright, and wide coverage. It's a floorwax; no, it's a dessert topping.;) Now deploying this would involve a non-dim circuit and DMX control, but might be a practical solution in some/many cases (those who can afford it and/or are thinking of buying Atomic 3000 s).

Last edited:
Sorry in advance if I take this thread too far off-topic. I recently heard (from a salesperson, so caveat emptor) that some users are buying this unit Showline SL NITRO 510 - Philips for use as a worklight. Yes, it's designed as a strobe, but has a 100% duty-cycle

Interesting. Must be easier to get a strobe effect with LEDs than xenon tubes if the circuitry is very rapidly turning them on and off instead of having to charge capacitors or dump large amounts of power to get an arc.

Other LED fixtures advertise a strobe mode, but this must be designed around traditional strobe functionality instead of having it as a secondary feature.

What systems is the dimming compatible on? Can it be operated of a standard sensor dimmer or does it have to be a standard resistance dimmer? As this is marketed towards theatres I am hoping it is easy to integrate into a control system infrastructure.

From what I can read in the literature there's no DMX or ACN so I wouldn't be able to just connect it to the lighting control system.

These would be a nice addition... wouldn't have to leave all the Par Cans on all day to satisfy the teachers in the school I work at.

It's marketed as a work light which is usually just switched. Not sure of your need but there are both mains and dmx dimming LEDs but they cost more. I see this as a replacement for fluorescent and discharge sources. If I want to replace a dimming par can I'll look at Desires or PLs.

Yeah I was really impressed with the demo I saw in person. There is also a higher power version which last I heard was "coming soon" and should probably be out by now.

Have you guys got the big one out yet Mark?

*SOBS* We are still tweaking the power supply. We want it to be able to dim really well on as many different dimming systems that it can, and as you folks probably know, trying to get LEDs to dim smoothly on 120V power is a Freakin' NIGHTMARE! *sigh* We could have done it if we made it DMX...but then it wouldn't be IP65...

I'm shooting for LDI at this point.

Sorry in advance if I take this thread too far off-topic. I recently heard (from a salesperson, so caveat emptor) that some users are buying this unit Showline SL NITRO 510 - Philips for use as a worklight. Yes, it's designed as a strobe, but has a 100% duty-cycle (not sure exactly what "Blinder effect : Full on capability of nearly unlimited duration without any loss in output" means), is quite bright, and wide coverage. It's a floorwax; no, it's a desert topping.;) Now deploying this would involve a non-dim circuit and DMX control, but might be a practical solution in some/many cases (those who can afford it and/or are thinking of buying Atomic 3000 s).
Hmm… let me see, I am going to word this very carefully.
We are aware that people have been buying this to use as work lights, and have not had anyone say the unit failed in any way, however, that is not what it was originally designed for. For us to say that it can be used as a work light, we need a long term test, which takes (obviously) a long time. While I can’t comment on any product development, I will update here if anything is going to be announced. Until then, caveat emptor indeed.

It's a floorwax; no, it's a desert topping.;)
Careful derekleffew, you’re dating yourself. Some younger members may not get the reference.

For a different alternative - we placed 65 W CFL bulbs in our scoops - they were under $20/each. We found warm white bulbs. They work quite well. They aren't instant on and take a minute or two to come to full brightness. The energy consumption is about 22% of the 300 W incandescent bulbs and they don't heat up.

Maybe I'm waxing poetic here (pun?) but the SNL of the late 1970's into early 80's was the pinnacle of comedy on the show. So many of the cast went on to become A list actors in major films, and it was cool to see them building their chops as young talent.

Thanks for the flashback!

Just out of curiosity, how many of Kreios fixtures did you use for your space? I'm looking at the IES file posted on the website, which is indicating that I'd need a significant number of fixtures to get an adequate light level. Any personal recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back