Design LED wash/cyc light recommendations with RGBAW and safe for video

cwbanks

What good, durable, flicker free (video) wash/cyc light would you recommend as a back/top down stage wash?

Also what's the best solution for a up/wall light?

Been looking at Colorforce 48/72, ColorBlaze TRX, Martin StageBar 2, and the Colorado Batten 144 Tour. They all need to be flicker free video safe.

Last edited:
For cycs and stage washes, ColorForce all the way.

We have some awesome Chauvet LED Batten 72 RGBAW strip lights. 3 of them seem to do the job of lighting up a full-stage cyc quite well, although they're a bit pricey.

Make sure to look at the Altman SpectraCyc units. I was a bit dubious of the idea until Altman came in and demo'd them - and now I'm completely sold on them. Amazing product with amazing coverage and wonderful colormixing and output.

For strips, the ColorForce are by far my favorites, best amber of any unit available. The amber and the blue together make an unbelievable range of lavender and purple hues. The COLORado Batten 72 and 144 strips are decent, dimming curve is really nice, halogen simulation available, and the mixing is decent. The amber and the white are a bit lacking, but the output is decent overall. I do like the dual spread option available on the 144, having a wider spread closer to the cyc and a narrower spread for the cell that's away from the cyc. Overall, nice unit, but a bit lacking in the amber and white, as I mentioned. Dimming curve is great, though, and the aforementioned halogen simulation gives nice options for busking a show if you want nice smooth fades.

The PLCycs look pretty impressive Bob, very punchy with low power consumption. They should fit nicely within many of the theatrical LED installations coming down the pike. Are you still at the Strand NY office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back