Control/Dimming Lightwright

skienblack

Whats everyones opinion on Lightwrite? I know it has Vectorworks integration, is there anyway to export your file into a file a Ion could read to save you from patching?

I like it. I use it on every show. It makes nice clean and efficient paper work quickly from a vectorworks file. As an electrician if I do not get a LW file with the plot it is the first thing I do to keep track of everything. I have not used it for the work notes feature because I still like a legal pad for notes. If I was an assistant and was able to spend the time looking at a screen during rehearsal I would certainly use them but for now my eyes are more useful looking at the stage than a screen.

It's pretty great, we at BU use it for every show (it's actually required) in addition on our Ion we can even import the patch making things much faster and reducing human error. On top of that we generate our hang tape labels from the LW file automatically which drastically speeds up that process as well.

Of course, it has it's quirks but from my understanding many of them have been fixed between 4 and 5. For example going back and forth from LW to VW.

Whats everyones opinion on Lightwrite? I know it has Vectorworks integration, is there anyway to export your file into a file a Ion could read to save you from patching?

Do a Lightwright search here on CB and you'll come up with a ton of posts. My own usually are along the line of "Used it since the early 80's", "great program - couldn't live without it" etc...

LW5 is currently a bit buggy in the Windows OS, though just quirks of stuff that 4 did and 5 doesn't, nothing causing crashes. John is good at getting this stuff fixed though.

The automatic exchange with Vectorworks 2009 & 2010 is very good. Once the data exchange is established, any change you make in VW gets instantly added to LW. The other way you have to do a refresh, so there's that delay. The exchange does make certain tasks easier, such as adding new units in either program and the programs catch errors. Which makes me comment that LW does really good error checking which saves you a ton of effort of it's used.

As to import patch to Eos/Ion Off-Line ?. Piece of cake. Export Data File in LW. Open a new or template type file in Ion. Import USITT ACSII as Library Fixtures to get the saved LW patch. Then either Save it as a new file or Merge with a Cue File or the master template file that has your system config (number of channels, Track or Cue Only settings, default timings, etc...) and you're good to go.

If I could have lightwright running on every computing device I own, I would. If lightwright ran on iPad I would be standing in line to get one! I don't think that I would ever do a show without it, period.

Does anyone have expierence using the Ion's client software? It would seem the combination of having lightwrite and the client running on a laptop could make lighting load in and troubleshooting much easier/efficent. Having everyone enter the data straight into lightwrite and then being able to upload the new patch straight into the board from the laptop while having full control.

I've found Ion's client software to work very well, although it can be a little shaky with a wireless connection(random disconnections, etc.). I haven't tried patching an Ion via the client software, but it seems like it would be a good idea.

I've found Ion's client software to work very well, although it can be a little shaky with a wireless connection(random disconnections, etc.). I haven't tried patching an Ion via the client software, but it seems like it would be a good idea.

I've patched via client as a wired connection, but in truth rarely bother using the laptop in client as the RFR has patch input as well and I don't have to remember keyboard shortcuts on the RFR. Since I'm already exporting the Lightwright patch prior to load-in, all I use the RFR for is updates and changes, not the whole system.

SB

Does anyone have expierence using the Ion's client software? It would seem the combination of having lightwrite and the client running on a laptop could make lighting load in and troubleshooting much easier/efficent. Having everyone enter the data straight into lightwrite and then being able to upload the new patch straight into the board from the laptop while having full control.

I don't think you can input a patch file direct to the master console via the client. Haven't tried it though, so am now curious.....

icewolf08 said:
If lightwright ran on iPad I would be standing in line to get one!

Maybe John should attempt LW for iPod touch/iPhone and iPad. I would buy that app too! Are you listening John? *wink wink*
I like LW. Because my highschool doesn't have much of an inventory, and we do not hang and focus before every show, I have not used it much. However, I did use it to create a channel hookup of our rep plot and I found the interface very intuitive! A great product overall.

Yes, Lightwright is the industry standard. If an LD gives me a plot without LW, there is going to be problems...

Yes there are some things that I don't like about it, but overall it is an amazing product and it's not like I could do any better... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back