Design Limited Inventory

Charc

I'm working on an upcoming show with some limited inventory.

7x 6" Altman 65Q
3x 30º Shakespeare
4 Ckts Tracklight
1 Ckt Utility Light

No gel (Any gel frames?)
No C-Clamps (Unistrut clamps FOH?, not sure what they have.)

There may be some money available, and I'm not sure what to tackle first. Gel is a show-by-show thing, and for this show, I think may come out of my own pocket (on loan, I'll taking it afterwards :mrgreen:). I'm thinking some 2-3 homemade boom bases and lengths of Sch 40. And maybe some more 65Qs and barndoors. The lack of side light (and down) position u.s. of the plasterline (or anywhere) really have me concerned. In terms of down light, I might need to attach something to the ceiling, but I don't plan on any sort of permanent installation suspended in the air. Thats why homemade boom bases are appealing.

Any thoughts on limited budget, starting from the ground up?

... I'm thinking some 2-3 homemade boom bases and lengths of Sch 40. And maybe some more 65Qs and barndoors. ... Thats why homemade boom bases are appealing. ...
Danger, Will Robinson! Homemade boom bases are NEVER appealing. It's likely cheaper and definitely safer, to buy them from one's local dealer than make them oneself (unless one happens to own a foundry). In the short term, it will always be cheaper to rent bases rather than manufacture them to a safe standard. Since you may not have C-clamps anyway, Single-Tee sidearms rent for $2/week; Double-Tee, $3. Might be a long drive to Vanco, BASH, FourStar, or ProdArts, but you'll save the production money. Ask if they have any Roscolene they will give you for free. ;)

10' lighting tripods with T bars rated for 100 pounds can be had for under $ 50.00 delivered, hardly worth trying to make a boom base or even rent them for that matter.

Boom bases - $6/wk, 10' pipe - $5/wk., so a complete boom is $11/wk to rent. This is a 2 week project, probably. Considering the low profile nature and probable backstage space, I wouldn't go with t-stands. T-stands and backstage locations never have worked out for me because of trip hazards and large footprint.

O told you my thoughts already charc, if you can't buy them, rent them.

So the ME my internship was going to loan me booms, but then realized they're all in the plot we're hanging now... :(

Anyways, I think I'm going to get the boom bases from school, and 1-2 lengths of Sch 40. We may have to purchase 1-2 more though, not sure if that's a good investment though, so maybe just renting some 10' pipe.

Instrumentation is still going to be a pain. I think if we're getting the booms from school, we couldn't really borrow lights too, and they could use some lights... Ideally we'd be getting some 65Qs, or 4.5x6s... but I'm not sure... I'm hesitant to suggest renting, if they'll need stuff in the future anyways. Maybe just renting for one or two shows this year then using capital money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back