Automated Fixtures looking for cheap good moving head light for me and school use

I just saw MAMMA MIA yesterday....and wow....it was a great show! Great use of lights. I was about to leave to avoid the traffic when the lighting truss lowered revealing 20 plus moving head lights. Elations or macs I coulnd't tell. Both washes and profiles. Three songs with them down. Amazing programming. If anyone has not seen it go see it! It is now just a womens show lol.
I actually was just at PPAC on Wednesday, since I'm interning there in February. When I was getting a tour, I went onstage and I was surprised at how many movers were being used for Mamma Mia. Almost every light hung over the stage was a mover.

Last edited:
I actually was just at PPAC on Wednesday, since I'm interning there in February. When I was getting a tour, I went onstage and I was surprised at how many movers were being used for Mamma Mia. Almost every light hung over the stage was a mover. They looked like Elations, not totally sure though.

Yea it was great! I didn't even know that they were using that many until it lowered!

...I just saw MAMMA MIA yesterday....and wow....it was a great show! Great use of lights. I was about to leave to avoid the traffic when the lighting truss lowered revealing 20 plus moving head lights. Elations or macs I coulnd't tell. Both washes and profiles. Three songs with them down. Amazing programming.
Those would be the famous white Vari-lite VL5s and VL6s on the Finale Truss. VARI-LITE lighting from Jands used in Mamma Mia stage show They cost around $10,000 each.

... Quite an investment! but worth every penny
Much like this, or your other, thread has been saying: the production didn't buy them, it rents them.

hey does anyone know about the LB-2000MH18 light? or the LB-150 MH9?

Thanks

Might as well buy a Chauvet. Seriously. Then at least you will have a seven digit phone number to call when things go wrong. Whether or not they will help you... Well... Who knows. Maybe.

No one knows this light because it is yet another knock-off. It is probably marketed under a dozen different names, by a dozen different online companies. They all originate from the same factory. You really aren't going to get a good answer if you keep asking about these obscure no-name lighting products...

I bought some chauvet fixtures for prety cheap, they treat me and the school well, they won't last forever but they are good for a couple of years. And they were prety cheap I got the Q-spot 160 LED but the 250 is great as well. Chauvet fixtures are cheap, they wont last forever but nothing will, and they are exceptional quality fixtures.

WOW. :eek: Someone has a lot of free time. :eek:

Why didn't I think of something like that...

I always seem to see that little :twisted: in Les's posts, I also find his sarcastic posts extremely funny :D

Oh no, you're on to me! ;)

Actually, that's kind of ironic, because in 'real life', I'm not much for sarcasm at all. Especially if it's hurtful. I hope I never offend anyone!

Generally, I try to be well behaved, but I'll admit, there are a few things that ruffle my feathers. Just for kicks, here are a few:

1.) Irresponsible allocation of funds (be it a school with 50+ moving lights and no one to teach them, or someone buying expensive gear when they should be saving for their future -- that gets me going because I have been there before also. I prefer to help keep people from learning the hard way like I did). Spending ALL my money on DJ gear for several years really got me nowhere. It was cool in high school, but it became a drain after graduation. I ended up practically giving it all away.

2.) King of the Booth Syndrome. Bragging about having keys/alarm codes/full access to the school, etc. I know it's cool, and I did it too, but it makes you sound like a tool to everyone who is making it out in the real world.

Last, but certainly not least:

3.) Anything having to do with the disregard of safety precautions and life safety equipment (fire alarms, outriggers, harnesses, etc).

Again, hope I don't offend anyone, ever. I'll work on it for 2011!

Now, let's continue helping gregeye find that elusive cheap, high quality moving light! :twisted:

...hey, baby steps...

Last edited:
ok, so i have heard many good things about the elation patinum spot 5r, but it is a bit out of my price range. On the other hand, I have also been researching more on the elation design spot 250 RDMX hybrid. It is a wash and a spot all in one and has all the fetures that I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Good or bad?

I thought you were going the smartmac route? or was that post for something else?

I am still in the deciding mode, and looking at my other options. But at the moment both the smart mac and the elation design spot 250 RDMX seem to be the ones to go with. I'm just seeing if anyone has had any experience with either fixture or not. And if anyone has any tips?

Thanks

I am still in the deciding mode, and looking at my other options. But at the moment both the smart mac and the elation design spot 250 RDMX seem to be the ones to go with. I'm just seeing if anyone has had any experience with either fixture or not. And if anyone has any tips?

Here is the thing you will find, both fixtures will be totally under-powered for any theatrical application. Odds are that neither fixture will be able to cut through a stage wash of conventional fixtures. On a dark stage it may be OK, but probably not ideal. Also, neither fixture offers a zoom function.

So really, it all comes back to what you want to be able to do with such a fixture. I believe that you said that the school was going to buy the fixture, but what use will it be to them? You really need a fixture that is going to perform in a theatre environment, and that is not what either of these fixtures is going to do. In a small black box with low ceilings or in a club type setting fixtures like this might be ideal, but not really for most theatrical applications.

Again, if your school wants to use moving lights, your money and shows will be much better served by renting a fixture that actually will do what you need it to do. There is a reason that most theatres DO NOT own their own moving lights. They are usually too expensive to buy the ones that are actually useful, and they are expensive to maintain. Most theatres will rent fixtures as they are needed because it is a much more cost effective option and it means that you can get the newest and best thing every time you need one. Even a fixture like SmartMAC which Martin claims is low maintenance, is still going to be an expensive fixture to own. Lamps are not cheap, service is not cheap, and odds are the school does not have anyone qualified to do maintenance themselves. You also don't want to buy something that has great potential to end up in a closet when you graduate.

If you want a fixture to just have to learn how to use moving lights and learn how to program and play with, get something like the Chavuet MiNSpot. For about $400 it won't break the bank, it can sit on a desk and be a teaching tool.

I happen to work at a theatre that owns over 10 moving lights. Out of 8 shows in a season, the MLs get used on maybe 2-3. The rest of the time they sit in storage. Even with that "light" usage, they require a lot of maintenance, and I put in many hours of work taking care of them. We also have to be ready to deal with issues that come up 20 minutes before a show starts and do aerial surgery to fix them. This is not something that most theatres and colleges are equipped to deal with, let alone high schools.

Please realize that I am not telling you to not buy moving lights, just to make sure that you understand that it is not the same as investing in a source 4. You need more than one to be truly effective, you need to be able to maintain them, and you need fixtures that are actually suited to the task. If you are going to buy fixtures worth using in a theatre, you need to budget to spend a minimum of $10K for a pair. This can actually get you pretty far, but it is a big capitol investment. For that amount of money you can rent much better fixtures than you could buy for many performances, and you don't have to maintain them. Yes, there is a novelty to owning toys like moving lights, but that novelty quickly wears off when you realize how much energy and time it takes to own them.

Please, just keep this all in mind as you go forward in this process. Bottom line, if you can't afford to buy a fixture that is actually worth having, just rent.

Chauvet Professional just released their Maverick Mk2 Profile. There's nothing for sale yet, but I'm guessing a street price around $6500. (Maybe someone can give us some details, hint, hint).

Zoom, focus, gobos, prism, four shutters, CMY + CTO. What's not to love?

Hi Chris,
I won't say that our lights are cheap, but I will say that I think that you get a lot of bang for your buck. They are a great value for money proposition.
The MK2 Profile was developed for just this application (theatre and event lighting). It's a variant of the MK2 Spot, which has seen a lot of success with touring and concert lighting, but the upgraded LED and framing system make it more appropriate for a theatrical envrionment.
Your guess on street price is very close to our List Price... A quick google search came up with an advertised price of $5799.99. If you're purchasing for a school, or for a larger project, I imagine that you'll even be able to get your dealer to cut a deal below their advertised sale pricing.

The MK2 has a high CRI LED light source, framing shutters, 2 rotationg gobo wheels, variable CTO, CMY color mixing (in addition to a color wheel), a 3:1 zoom, prism, iris, and frost... basically anything you'll need for 90% of your theatrical needs. We opted for the 2nd rotating gobo wheel over an effect wheel, as we think it gives a designer a lot more options.

The MK1 Spot is also a great option... no variable CTO or shutters, but a much wider zoom range, and at a better price. again, google says tat you can find these for under $3500.

I'd say to talk to a dealer about getting whatever fixtures you're considering into your venue for a shoot-out. Seeing how they look and work in your space is going to be a lot more valuable than comparing written specs, or even seeing separate product demos.

I hope that helps,
-Ford

Users who are viewing this thread

Back