LPS fixture #2 quote

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Hmm, a bit too late in one of my perspective suppliers.
Hmm, at least a week too late in replying – when I design a fixture for a show, it’s normally based on some designer’s whim for his design and it filters down to me thru channels. I get the job to quote out and have to within the least time possible to give a price so as to preserve as much production time as I can, to get that quote out. Good thing I also sent the quote out thru (other supplier) that in being used to such things I got instant response and we worked thru the two companies currently making them, than given both had a four to six week lead time, went onto some 2x2 fluorescent fixtures I would retrofit but also not available in such a lead time. From there within a day I was able to get with our metals fab shop in us making the perspective fixtures. The designer and I came up with a great fixture we could do and quoted out instead cheaper.

That’s about where we are now, got the quote out and the designer of the show is hemming and hawing about making 30x more of some fixtures he had me make at the last minute two years ago than cut from the show after rush shipping of them.. No doubt I’ll either given it’s quoted out, either never hear about that concept again or on two weeks notice even given a stated lead time, get the job well under that – like last time a week to get it done. Big boss will give me as much lead time as possible but in the end it’s not his phone call in doing the “do it.” This or like last time the – gee, that’s bright and totally destroying all color on stage, let’s drop it even if we already paid for it.

Concept of low pressure sodium vapor wash lights is a Black and White movie like effect on stage. Not my choice for doing so in more preferring the mono-chromatic grey gel, and others sticking in a similar way to the LPS concept with brown gel on the lamps, but in whipping out all other color on stage and in the past having made 7x of these types of fixtures, I can honestly say that low pressure sodium vapor lamps do remove any color from the stage or area – totally remove it and if enough time spent under it, it also if direct enough totally removes one’s equilibrium. Ya get dizzy under it. Probability a good reason why there is only two makers of such a fixture these days and both have a four to six week lead time in special making them – don’t want to be stuck in a dark tunnel under that light even if more efficient.

Still though the designer requested to have quoted out such a LPS fixture by the 15th of next month and I did the quote. This time a little more lead time and I didn’t have to design a lighting fixture around a 15” circle opening that a DMX controlled douser had an opening for - this with second Hubbel Sports Lighter reflector cut away as a counter baffel reflector in reflecting back before the gate. In other words, as opposed to the last set of fixtures I made and never got used in being cut from the show, in this case the designer didn’t ask for a way of turning off the things which to me says even faster being cut from the show given start up time of the lamp and kill time of them not being realistic. Designer has this concept of black and white that even if a different show, won’t be fulfilled until he does it. Still though that was the request and even if at times such as today on a different project for a different tour, stuff I work on gets cut from the show, it’s still the fun for me in designing a new lighting fixture.

Anyway, I over a week ago sent out the quote for the project. Want the bid, gotta help me in getting it out – sorry but that’s the nature of this verses architectural type stuff where there is months to debate. Yep will have needed these fixtures within 4 weeks – them or an alternative. Sorry you didn’t make the deadline but I’ll in the future give you more chances.

(Ah' training the local electrical supply company for my needs when they reply back a week later.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back