M-Word Happenings

Yeah, I've never been superstitious about saying M████th backstage. I still don't though, for 2 reasons. 1) I have no reason to use it in a sentence and 2) It's pretty much the furthest thing from my mind at all times.

Its not a superstition that I follow, but almost everyone else at my theater does. They get themselves worked into such a frenzy thinking about what COULD go wrong that, invariably, someone isn't paying attention and things do go wrong.

Best to just avoid it altogether, IMO.

If it's the same "m-word" that I'm thinking of... Someone said it when I was touring in an RV. The RV broke down forcing us to rent a mini van and box truck. I ended up being FOH/driver for a couple of weeks across the midwest and Canada and got an average of 3 hours of sleep each night. Several other small things happened that tour as well, but that was the main outcome of the "m-word."

The following tour a member of the opening act said it in my presence and I broke my leg that night...

Somebody said it jokingly before a show last year that resulted in missed cues, lamp failures, and the midtraveler jamming at the second to last scene, a jam so bad that it would be a month before the thing could move again.

Personally, I don't believe that the word has any legitimate effect, but I refain from saying it out of respect toward fellow actors/technicians who do think that it affects the show.

Had a student flyman who used the word all the time during one show I was LDing in university. Got a call one Sunday morning saying there had been a fire in the SL wing on Saturday. Had to drop in EVERY light off the rig, disassembled and cleaned the smokified (it's a word . . .) optics, rehung and refocussed for the show on Tuesday. **sigh**

Our worst accident blamed on the Scottish Play was a wooden telephone stand that was knocked into the pit during a production of Gianni Schicchi, just barely missing the 1st Violinist, landing instead on his music stand. Come to think of it, there was also a glass lamp broken during that show.

I don't necessarily believe that it will bring about mass disaster, but I refrain from saying it out of respect for Theatre and the traditions that make it what it is. Same reason that I will not walk under a ladder on/backstage, won't say good luck, wouldn't whistle if I could in the first place, etc.

More has been happening on our performance run. Two days after the M-word was said a followspot operator dropped his beltpack on the diamond plate steel above the audience during a blackout. Guess how loud that is...

Everyone backstage also heard it and we missed a light cue while laughing at him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back