Design Magic sheets

When I have some more time later on I'll post an example of one.

So here's the version of a Magic Sheet or Key I typically use. Groundplans on the left, space to write on the right. Other people will set it up with three groundplans but that's a little small for me. When I do my 2nd read of the script I'll write down ideas on in the open space and maybe sketch ideas on the groundplan about source and angle.

In Rehersal I'll have a set so I can sketch out where people generally are on stage and where specific moments happen.

As I get further into the proscess I'll combine them all my color and angle ideas into one piece of paper and start spliting up how I want to lay things out.

I create my (channel) Magic Sheet off of these because I'll usually lay out my entire plot here first.

You've probably seen something similar for people who do a lot of dance especially SM's.

proxy.php

Thanks. Y'all have reinforced what I thought all along. My Prof has his own ideas and I need to learn HIS terminology and jump through the particular hoops he has set out. It's just so much blasted work! I have to attach swatches of each gel color along with angles for each beat!
I really like the idea of starting with the ground plan and having a space for notes so I can look at the evolution of my designs and make adjustments as I get further into the production.

...It is close to what my prof wants and I will send him the definition to see if he agrees...
Frankly, we don't care whether or not he agrees, and nor should you, once you're out of his class. Control Booth is designed to supplement knowledge gained from teachers and professors, not replace or contradict it. Now, once you're out from under him you can do whatever you want. The suggestions posted here are just that--a collection of suggestions we have learned as to what works and what methods some Lighting Designers use. There are no right or wrong answers.

i just thought of this. Could it be that the OP is looking for something like this:

Electric | instrument # | Type | Degree | Distance from CL | Pan | Tilt
---1----------1---------S4------36----------18" SL-------(45)-(-45)
---1----------2 --------S4------36----------18" SR-------(-45)-(45)

Etc Etc.

I am not sure if I did this right, and i know there is a term for this. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember.
Kevin, what you have described above most closely resembles a Focus Chart, or possibly an Instrument Schedule, but is incomplete as it is missing, at a minimum, Channel and Color information.

I first saw magic sheets with touring companies as a way they had of keeping track, in the many different theatres or venues that they performed in, of what was supposed to be going on on stage.

I would never call them a cheat sheet as they are not cheating on anything, they help the touring tech guy or gal (usually a Stage Manager at the level we where at) make sure the lighting setup was correct or at least provide the look that was supposed to be there. Magic sheet have been around for a fair amount of time, they are not a recent invention.

It has been awhile since I have done stage theatre (we sort of ran out of companies and venues here), but Key lights tend to be more a movie and TV term then a theatre term. It refers to the primary light on the talent.

On my crews I was fairly strict about everybody useing the correct terminology so everyone one would be on the same page. This was very useful with touring companies comming into our theatre. Nomanclature should be universal, so as one moves from one theatre or venue to another we are all on the same page. I know, we will always have some differences.

It has been awhile since I have done stage theatre (we sort of ran out of companies and venues here), but Key lights tend to be more a movie and TV term then a theatre term. It refers to the primary light on the talent.

Not true. Its interchangable with source or primary light in the theatre. Every theatre I've worked at in the past ten years I've heard somebody refer to it as a key light.

On my crews I was fairly strict about everybody useing the correct terminology so everyone one would be on the same page. This was very useful with touring companies comming into our theatre. Nomanclature should be universal, so as one moves from one theatre or venue to another we are all on the same page. I know, we will always have some differences.

Unfortunetly its not and never will be. Its regional...If only we lived in a perfect world where it could be universal. Granted in this perfect world you'd never say Kleenex or Leko either....

But keeping a crew using the same terminology is a must...or at very least making sure everyone explains themselves when they say "just fly fish that."

The world would be a much better place if everyone would simply do things MY way, and use MY terminology.

I forgot to mention that "Color Keys" were invented by college theatre professors so they wouldn't have to decipher students' crudely hand drawn light plots. I've never seen a professional designer use them, as I have defined them.

Not true. Its interchangable with source or primary light in the theatre. Every theatre I've worked at in the past ten years I've heard somebody refer to it as a key light.

Unfortunetly its not and never will be. Its regional...If only we lived in a perfect world where it could be universal. Granted in this perfect world you'd never say Kleenex or Leko either....

But keeping a crew using the same terminology is a must...or at very least making sure everyone explains themselves when they say "just fly fish that."

USITT Suggested Standards For Recognized Nomenclature?

Grog, I tried to avoid the Leko thing, but who calls them anything else these days, though I think the S-4 may change things a bit. I once work a theatre that had real Strand/Century Lekos. I also worked a theatre that still had a couple of plano convex instruments and they worked.

I have been a bit isolated from mainstream theatre the past few years so I may not be up on latest nomanclature. I do not ever remember the use of key light in theatre, but I understand where it comes from as I use it all the time in TV production.

Last edited:
Grog, I tried to avoid the Leko thing, but who calls them anything else these days,
I do. Either ERS, ellipsoidal, or by brand name and or degree. Typically by degree those...as in I need a bunch of 19's.

I once work a theatre that had real Strand/Century Lekos. I also worked a theatre that still had a couple of plano convex instruments and they worked.

As in the ones seen in this thread? If not the black strand century's had plano convex lenes as well.

...I once work a theatre that had real Strand/Century Lekos...
I am away from my research materials at the moment, but I believe, technically speaking, Strand-Century only sold LekoLights. Once they dropped the Century name, from 1991 until the SL Coolbeam, Strand sold LEKOs (with the star in the "O").

...I also worked a theatre that still had a couple of plano convex instruments and they worked.
You're referring to PC spots? (not the Morpheus ones)? Selecon still makes them, although I don't know of a single place in the US that uses them.

Edit: L&E makes them too!

Last edited:
You're referring to PC spots? (not the Morpheus ones)? Selecon still makes them, although I don't know of a single place in the US that uses them.

We use PC's in our "event" room. Used more presentationally (lectures, discussions, chamber concerts, etc). Pipes are only +12'-0" high. The small Acclaim PC's were a good choice for us for general illumination.

--Sean

Grog, I also use ellipsoidal as much as possible. I also use ERS, however, too many know them as Lekos so one goes that route at times.

I am surprised to hear about the Plano Convex, but then I have a couple of Parelliaspheres floating around, which if I am correct and someone may know better, where the first or close to the first zoom instruments.

Our local newspaper reports that a box office manager, for an arts organization located in town, that controls our university theatre, made off with almost $100 K. Pretty good for only a $500K yearly budget. She is in jail. Amazing how the overall arts organization manager just left town for other reasons. http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local/story/473178.html

Now does she know how to use magic sheets to get out of jail?????????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back