Vintage Lighting micro 1920's looking stage light

RobR

Hello Control Booth.

This is my first post, Hi All.
Please help if this interests you and understand my knowledge is not expert, it could be off as I'm self taught from internet U so to speak.

I have a light that could bore or intrigue you.
I have searched for over a month trying to find an example of this light in old advertising to identify it.
The age and that it looks like a 20's early 30's light is why I can't stop researching it.
Could be it's unrelated to the industry, I don't know.
I have three examples of it.

Here is the breakdown:
The one posted here is the least used. The other two have had the cords cut and there is significant paint burn-off from long use.
Two came with bulbs and one came with a gel frame.
I believe they are really old and that's what intrigues me about them.

The sockets are all single contact double pin BA15S and can move forward and back.
Bulbs are both old 100W 120V SINGLE CONTACT BA15S.
Electric is single (meaning it's lot two separate runs coming off the light)
Plan, cloth covered cord and is very stiff (thick wire)
The one elec plug is incased in rubber, not sure when that style plug was first introduced.
The metal in the center is sheet and the vent holes looked pressed, like some century lights I've seen.
The screws for the yoke are spot welded.
The ends look to be molds from aluminum.
All came with the round base just under the yoke.
All have the same lens glass.
No markings or branding, just some pen marks on the back cover.

Thanks for your help!
Rob

002A3016 - Version 2.jpg
002A3001.jpg
002A3011.jpg
002A3013.jpg
IMG_2797.JPG

I would guess the 1950's or 60's. If @ship comes around, he will know. The 3" fresnel version of this little PC spot is still built. Cute little thing!
proxy.php

I actually have one of those! It has a step lens, I want to say its 2.5" diameter. Not the best beam quality. It was made by the Little Stage Lighting Company of Dallas, TX. 50's-70's is the likely time frame. I've seen variations on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I actually have one of those! It has a step lens, I want to say its 2.5" diameter. Not the best beam quality. It was made by the Little Stage Lighting Company of Dallas, TX. 50's-70's is the likely time frame. I've seen variations on eBay.

There's a PDF of a Little Stage Lighting COmpany catalog available right here on the CB:

Check out the bottom of page 8. Not exactly the same, but darn close.

Ron

Edit: Want the exact match? Page 10 of the same catalog looks like it. 1 1/2" 100-150 watt condenser spotlight with table base.

Attachments

• Little Stage Lighting Company Cataglog 3(1962).pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 376
Last edited by a moderator:
There's a PDF of a Little Stage Lighting COmpany catalog available right here on the CB:

http://www.controlbooth.com/attachments/5309/

Check out the bottom of page 8. Not exactly the same, but darn close.

Ron

Edit: Want the exact match? Page 10 of the same catalog looks like it. 1 1/2" 100-150 watt condenser spotlight with table base.

Yes, that's it! Page 10. Mystery solved!

Thank you all for your help!

I've looked and looked for that little thing. Funny that they used such an old early days look for the styling.

Good attention to detail spotting the step lens. I overlooked that and figured it was just another old, common inky. I've never heard nor seen anyone else use a step lens in a PC spotlight. Little was either ahead of his time or (more likely) cheap.

... The age and that it looks like a 20's early 30's light is why I can't stop researching it. ...
Two (almost) universal truths I've learned; when dealing with "vintage" stage lights:
1.) It's never as old as the owner thinks it is, and
2.) It's never worth as much as the owner thinks it is.

Note the C1-TB price in the 1962 catalog--$10.00 Texas dollars, when gelatin (Roscogel) was $0.25 and Roscolene was $0.85 a sheet.

That was too easy. What else ya got, @RobR ? Throw another one at us.

Good attention to detail spotting the step lens. I overlooked that and figured it was just another old, common inky. I've never heard nor seen anyone else use a step lens in a PC spotlight. Little was either ahead of his time or (more likely) cheap.

I have seen step lenses in either 4.5" or 6" PC box spots, on both eBay and in the wild, but I have no way of knowing if they were sold like that or changed later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

All three have the step lens. Pattern is "special" … ok, it's not great.

Two (almost) universal truths I've learned; when dealing with "vintage" stage lights:
1.) It's never as old as the owner thinks it is, and
2.) It's never worth as much as the owner thinks it is.

Very true!
I was torn, on the one hand
the build, wing nuts and casting on the ends said not old quality.
On the "I think it's old" was the heavy (14 gage?) cloth cable, styling (not round shape) and "S" on the base BA15S (not knowing I would have thought "single" connection would be an older standard)

Note the C1-TB price in the 1962 catalog--$10.00 Texas dollars, when gelatin was $0.25 and Roscolene was $0.85 a sheet.

That was too easy. What else ya got, @RobR ? Throw another one at us.

I don't have any stumpers (and quickly finding that ain't happening) but have some fun stuff.

A Chicago light. The dogs (stand connector name?) are not original and this one doesn't have the round flange on the end.

A Cycon. Very fun light.

Attachments

• 002A4429.jpg
    002A4429.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 336
  • _MG_6886 copy.jpg
    _MG_6886 copy.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 327

Users who are viewing this thread

Back