New Chauvet LED

Have you ever used one?

Back in the day I tried a Blizzard Q12A compared to the Chauvet Slimpar Pro RGBA, and the Chauvet was a significantly better fixture. That has, perhaps unfairly, colored my opinion of Blizzard products. There are several fixtures in the mid-range (i.e. not Selador) that are potentially interesting, but it's very difficult to find reviews other than "This is really bright and awesome".

FYI, here is my review of the Blizzard Q12A and here is my comparison of the Blizzard vs the Chauvet. I have a suspicion that the modern Q12A fixtures are slightly different.

Like most of the newer lighting importers, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Eternal, etc., improvements in their offerings continue to evolve. The Blizzard products of today are vastly different than those offered in year one or two.

Like most of the newer lighting importers, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Eternal, etc., improvements in their offerings continue to evolve. The Blizzard products of today are vastly different than those offered in year one or two.
I'm certainly glad to hear of improvements. It is my understanding, however, that there is a structural difference between ADJ, Elation, Chauvet, and a few others vs. Blizzard/Eternal in that Blizzard and Eternal simply import "stock" Chinese fixtures, while the next tier design in house and manufacture in China, at least for many of their products. This was the case at least a couple years ago.

TJ is 100% correct! Chauvet products are designed in sunny South Florida and manufactured in China.

TJ is 100% correct! Chauvet products are designed in sunny South Florida and manufactured in China.
That may be true, but some items seem to be shelf products, with a logo slapped on it(either that or the designers are not trying very hard)
Like most low end lighting manufactures, there is ridiculous inconsistency with user interface, mounting hardware, and connection type etc. Some have power-con, some have IEC, some use 5 pin dmx, some are 3 pin, some pass through power, others don't, but should.

It seems like this has started to solidify more with recent products, but we will see what the future holds.

Of the US designed products, many are just poorly designed, but some are quite good. Get demos if you can. There are some good Chauvet products, but because the product line is so large, and products are often discontinued quickly and replaced often, it makes picking out the good ones difficult.

How is the Reliability of Blizzard these days? Any DOA? With the Exception of the WELL 2.0, every Chauvet product I have used, has had some fixtures DOA. They were of course replaced by Chauvet, but none the less, its speaks to quality control.

The explosion of LED technology and offerings has certainly had growing pains as manufacturers rushed products to capture market share often cutting quality control.

Consider only six or seven years ago the first LED Pars started to hit the Mobile Entertainer market with 96 - 1/4w diodes and today you can order a leko from Altman's with a 250w LED light engine.

While there is still a lot of crap available to the market place, careful searching and result in fixtures suitable to your needs IMHO.

I've personally had excellent reliability with Chauvet gear - both that which I've purchased myself and those spec'd for install. I've also heard others say they've had excellent reliability with Chauvet. I've been generally very impressed with their stuff for the $$.

I've personally demo'd the COLORado 2 Zoom Tour, the color version. This was the original one, not the new quad zoom tour. It had a nice zoom range and the colors were good - I seem to remember wanting more white LEDs (there are only 10 white vs. 17 each of R, G, and B). The overall build quality of the fixture was really solid, as with any of the COLORado line I've seen/used/demo'd. I was definitely impressed with the zoom range, it was wider than I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back