New Theatre at My High School

what is trim - opening - of legs? 40' or less? I'd normally expect booms to be 6' or so off stage of trim, and I want that shin kicker to fill as much of the wing as possible. So if legs are on 5-6' centers - as close to 5-6' of spread in 5-6' of throw is desirable.

It is absolutely insane to spend 1.5 million on a theater upgrade and not budget the $10k-$20k to have a professional consultant guide you through the process. You should have an acoustic expert analyze your space. What about safe and code needs? The fact that you are thinking about 108 dimmers and a lot of LEDs shows the need for an expert.

Finally, ETC is not recommending complete replacement of S4's with S4 LEDs for front light. If you have seen their presentations at LDI/USITT they talk about layering LED and incandescent, stacking them side by side.

I've been doing theater longer than you've been alive. I've been through a $5 million new theater construction project where I spent a year hand picking $600,000 worth of gear. I wouldn't try your project without a theater consultant and neither should you!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
You will never regret spending the time and effort of working with consultants. They will need your input as much as you need theirs. The end result is a facility and equipment that will work long into the future.
I have been lucky to have worked in a great space that had a great consulting team, it makes every day go easy, and it also makes me truly appreciate the work that consulting team did over 25 years ago.

I'm about to start (2) venue projects which will be 100% LED. Infact on tuesday we are going to be demo'ing as many LED Fixtures as our MFG reps have sent us. 1 venue is going to be a 300~ seat blackbox venue with overhead automated rigging, and the other is going to be a 650~ seat traditional prosc, with 45 single purchase counterweight linesets. We are still going to be installing a central dimming system, both venues are road houses, so having the ability to dim circuits will be necessary. I believe the consultants have spec'd Sensor3 with Thrupower modules. A big decision though is going to be consoles in the venues, Having to control a whole rig of multiparameter fixtures, my personal choice would be a GIO or even an MA2 Light.

We had a great consulting firm on our new theatre. There are still problems. I can't imagine how many problems there might be if no consultant were involved at all.
Hire the consultant! They will think of things that will never occur to you until you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back