New York City Hazer Rental

Hello, I was wondering if anybody here knows of any place where I can rent a Hazer for a small gig for a weekend in New York City that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I've checked out a few places but I want to do some comparison shopping so if anybody can give out some of their favorite places to rent equipment in the city, that would be helpful.

As I said it's not a huge gig so the hazer itself doesn't have to be the best one.

Thank You Very Much.

Hello, I was wondering if anybody here knows of any place where I can rent a Hazer for a small gig for a weekend in New York City that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I've checked out a few places but I want to do some comparison shopping so if anybody can give out some of their favorite places to rent equipment in the city, that would be helpful.

As I said it's not a huge gig so the hazer itself doesn't have to be the best one.

Thank You Very Much.

I'm in NJ, I could rent you one but of you want to stay in NY SLD is the only place I know that rents on more of a daily scale as apposed to weekely.

Thank you for your reply, I'll check out SLD but as I recall they didn't have hazers for rent at their website, only to buy. Their online listing could very well be incomplete however.

You mention that you have hazers for rent as well, and I could probably get to NJ if needed.

What is your rate?

I would need it from around noon on Saturday June 26 until 3am of Sunday.

Do you deliver as well as allow pickups? What would be the fee to deliver?

Thank You

Do you deliver as well as allow pickups? What would be the fee to deliver?

I can't speak for Lightman, but in general you're going to be paying WAY more for the delivery than for a single day's rate on a hazer. I'm in Jersey and know I wouldn't deliver to the city for any less than $150. You might find with NYC rates that they won't deliver next door for less than that.

I haven't rented a hazer from any of these places, but the shops I see the most are, PRG, LUCS, and 4Wall. I have no idea what cost or availability will be. Getting delivered is going to be a bit costly. Check out PRG because they have what I believe is called the "Broadway run" which is essentially all of the small rentals in the city together on one truck so it is more cost effective. It makes scheduling a bit more of their choice, but it is a lot cheaper than paying for your own truck. You will most likely be looking at a drop off on Friday and a pick up on Monday. No one will drop off Sat and pick up Sunday (without charging an arm and a leg...and a torso and a head).

Good luck,
-Tim

Hello everyone! Thank you for the replies! Do you guys have phone numbers or e-mail addresses for these places you guys have suggested?

By the way, those of you who have suggested I would be paying a lot for delivery are very right. The first place I looked at before posting in this forum had delivery being more expensive than renting the hazer for a day in the first place. In total it would have been around $200 for Saturday and Sunday, and since I found out that the model they were renting could be actually be bought for $350, it would have been more than half the purchase price to rent. They also do not allow for self pickup so I would have to pay the delivery fee even though I could very well go get it myself.

So I'm very glad for these suggestions you guys have given me.

Thank You!

I also just wanted to mention that I can of course do self pickup, being in NYC myself, but as I said earlier the first place I ever looked at did not allow for self pickup so if I used them I would be paying the hefty delivery fee.

This is why I've been looking forward to your suggestions, so I can find I place that can save me some money, either by allowing for self pickup or if not, having a lower delivery fee, if possible.

Thanks again!

Hello everyone! Thank you for the replies! Do you guys have phone numbers or e-mail addresses for these places you guys have suggested?

They all have websites and I am sure Google can help you find them in about one tenth of a second.

I am pretty sure that the warehouses are all going to be in Jersey. There isn't a whole lot of room in NYC for giant warehouses. There are probably some very small companies in the outer boroughs like Brooklyn, but I don't know any of them...Maybe CB member SteveB knows more?

There are literally dozens of companies for you to choose from. Xander is correct, though, they're all going to be in NJ. I would get the idea of delivery out of your head right now. I use BML Blackbird quite a bit, they're in Secaucus off Rte 3 by the Meadowlands. You're welcome to my new Chauvet Arena Hazer 2. It would cost you a gallon of haze fluid is all, but you'd have to pick it up in the Trenton, NJ area.

I would ask them and see if they have any shows in NYC when you want to pick it up, then just stop by their truck! Do the same for return. The frequency of which these companies do gigs in NYC is different, but you'll hit one for sure. I would start at the top of the list, solely for cost reasons and/or their willingness to help somebody they don't know. Bigger companies are less likely to help you out.

Also keep in mind some of these companies make you fill out some bull**** insurance forms, start an account, name your firstborn child after them, etc, for something as simple as a hazer.

Circuit Lighting (Green Brook, NJ): Circuit Lighting, Inc. homepage
See Factor (Long Island City): See Factor Industry, Lighting Rentals New York, Sound Rentals New York, Rigging Rentals New York. Over 40 Years of Service and Innovation
Tribeca Lighting...formerly Big Apple (Manhattan): Tribeca Lighting New York
14th Street (Manhattan): Welcome to 14th Street Stage Lighting, Inc.
BML (Secaucus NJ): www.bmlblackbird.com
Bentley Meeker (Manhattan): Bentley Meeker
4-Wall (Moonachie NJ): 4Wall Entertainment Lighting Rentals, Lighting Systems Design and Integration
Bestek Lighting (West Babylon, Long Island): BESTEK Lighting & Staging
NMR (NJ): NMR Events
Scharff: Scharff Weisberg, Inc.
PRG (Moonachie NJ): PRG | Corporate Event Services | Trade Shows | Live Events | Entertainment Technology Company

Starting an account and/or requiring a deposit is standard practice and the only way to insure your gear comes back in one piece. If you were the one leaving thousands of dollars in gear in the hands of a stranger then you would understand.

Starting an account and putting down a deposit are very different from getting an insurance certificate, which 4wall and PRG both make you do.

The point is there are companies who won't make you go through the hassle of all that for a $150 hazer rental.

I agree that it seems a little ridiculous to provide proof of a million dollar insurance policy in order to rent a hazer. But you have to understand where they're coming from (and I get the feeling you don't own all the cool toys you get to play with, so you may never understand). They're not in the business to rent hazers to musicians who want to make their stage look "sweet." They don't want to rent LED's so that someone can build a home made tree for them and possibly destroy the fixtures or have the sub par rigging fail and hurt someone. They ARE in the business of renting to other companies and providing their gear WITH TECHS to under-qualified clients. Asking to see proof of liability insurance accomplishes the goal of weeding out the undesired customers.

If you're not happy with that attitude then go to one of the smaller guys. Just don't expect them to have the inventory of a major player like 4 Wall or PRG.

The dude can find lighting companies that wont make him go through the hassle of getting an insurance policy for a $150 rental. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back