Control/Dimming PLEASE HELP...Hog3PC/VL2500S

MDB

Good Afternoon!

I am currently using the HOG 3 PC for a show with 4 VL 2500 Spots, and have run into trouble.

HELP ME PLEASE.

SO the units are correctly hung, powered, and DMX is correctly wired. The console is also set up correctly and detecting the DMX universe. I've noted down the DMX address of each of the VL's and attempted to do a "Patch". After doing the patch...ie for VL 1 patch @23 (the DMX address) I then try to utilize the instrument and it is not responding.

I fear that I am doing something wrong. Might anyone be able to give me some assistance?

I am sure that given the fact I havent ever programmed the HOG before it is a stupid or silly error on my part, but I JUST CANT figure it out!

Thanks!

Is the "DMX OK" LED lit on the fixtures? Which widget are you using? Can you control dimmers or other fixtures?

Thanks for trying to help. I wasn't aware that the VL 2500's had a DMX OK led. I will check that. The widget is the one that allows for plugging in four different DMX universes. I have plugged my rig into the 1st DMX universe.

Also, I am assuming my "patch" was done correctly -- taking the DMX address from the fixture and entering it using the patch@ function. I also have no other fixtures to test the board on as the location has an antiquated board with a non-dmx 512 control system.

Thanks -- The DMX cable is plugged into the 1st Universe, and the board is recognizing the Device. My 1st VL is addressed at 23. so i patched 1 @ 23.

Yes, I am pretty sure I have grabbed the fixture correctly. Just not getting ANY response from the console....Do you need a termination plug for the VL 2500s... Otherwise, this has to be a DMX issue. The board seems to be just fine...and all four of the VL's are starting up just fine and going through their normal ramp sequence.... They are all displaying their DMX addres fine and with no errors.

Another user suggested that there was a DMX LED on the VL2500's, I was not aware that it existed.

Thanks!
Marc

... Another user suggested that there was a DMX LED on the VL2500's, I was not aware that it existed. ...
Sorry about that, the VLs have NO such indicator--I was thinking of different fixtures. Usually it's a good way to see if DMX is making it to the light. Alternatively, one could use a DMX Tester; that is, if one had one.:(

I'm slightly curious that your first light is addressed at 23. Of course, it doesn't matter the actual address of the fixtures, as long as they match the console, or vice-versa, but one would think the patch would be as follows:
VL2500S #1--1/001
VL2500S #2--1/023
VL2500S #3--1/045
VL2500S #4--1/067
next free--1/089

One should use a DMX terminator, but that's not the source of the current problem.

Again, My Thanks.

Well, I am going to call it quits for the evening. Tomorrow I will check my DMX wiring again...perhaps readdress the instruments....and if none of this works I will call VL and Highend on Monday.

If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to leave them here, I will check again in the morning.

Cheers and THANKS:!:
marc

This has changed rather recently,
But I believe if you no into the network window,
There is a place to select which universe is is being ouput on each widget.
Have you done this yet?
Good Luck!
Joshua Wood

Make sure you have added the fixtures into the patch. In the fixture schedule tab in patch, scroll down to Varilite and select the 2500 and add however many you have in the rig. Once that is done, you will see the VL's in the patch window. Select your fixture, click patch @ and set the patch to 23 (or whatever your DMX address is) then click OK.

If everything works, you should see the fixture move to a 50/50 position and you will be able to control the fixture.

:lol::lol: Good Morning and Thanks to all who gave input overnight.

1) To answer one question, yes I am patching using the fixture profile
2) I did in fact add the 4 VL 2500 from the menu and then patch as expressed.
3) I did not know about the widget assignment menu. So I will try that today. First thing! I will get to the facility around 4 this afternoon and will make that my first priority!

I will let you all know if I am up and running when I get home tonight (have to go to my nephew's first communion before going to work).

THANKS!!!

Marc

SOLVED

:grin::!:

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP. AFTER TRYING ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS, I noticed that the internal light on the WIDGET was variably blinking....as such I tried a new POWER CORD to the WIDGET....and was rewarded with rapid success.

I really appreciate all the assistance and hope I can return the FAVOR!

CHEERS,
MARC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back