Powerspot 700 Profile Problem on ETC Element

SoFLy

Hi guys,

I am using two Elation Powerspot 700s with an ETC Element console. I have the two fixtures chained together and run straight to the console and into universe 2. When I patch the two fixtures over and load the profile, "Power Spot 700 CMY", they do not work properly. When I use the CMY color selector, random functions (gobo wheel, fast color changer, etc.) begin to happen, rather than mixing the gosh darn colors and making it look pretty.

At first thought, I figured the profile didn't line up with the actual fixture, but I grabbed the manual online and checked all of the parameters with the actual profile, and they line up perfectly.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or does anyone have ANY idea what is going on.

Note: The same exact problem and functions happen with both fixtures when I put the selector on an area on the color wheel, and the fixtures have no known problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks guys!

Great tip! I'm going to check this when I get in tomorrow. Is there any easy way that you know of to change an 8 bit profile to 16 without rebuilding it manually?

If the only two differences are the fine pan and tilt wouldn't that mean nothing? The color and gobo wheels are what were causing trouble. Pan and tilt (not the fine controls) work fine right now!

Yep, the because the added fine pan and tilt in an 16 bit profile, would offset all of the other channels by 2, when you wanted to change say the gobo wheel, the color wheel would change or whatever. Same thing if the fixture is in 16 bit mode, but the profile is 8, the fixture is expecting say 17 addresses, but the console is only giving commands on 14, the fixture would still respond to the levels of those 14 channels because they are just numbers. the fixture cannot identify pan, tilt gobo or color through the DMX stream, it just knows to look for pan on address 4 and tilt on address 5.

The profile for the Powerspot is 8 bit, so make sure that your fixture is in 8 bit mode.

Last edited:
Much easier to run the fixtures in 8-bit mode now (if that's what the console has), and request a profile for 16-bit on the ETC Community forum for later.

From http://www.elationlighting.com/pdffiles/powerspot700cmyII_manual.pdf (assuming this is the manual for your fixtures), page 27:
8.9 DMX Mode
DMOD
This function allows you to toggle between 16bit (default mode) and 8bit mode. 16bit
will activate the pan fine and tilt fine DMX channels for a total of 24 DMX channels.
8bit mode will deactivate the pan fine and tilt fine channels for a total of 22 DMX
channels.
8.9.1 NORM –Standard channel configuration, 24 DMX channels
8.9.2 EXT – When turned this function will activate DMX “Extended Mode” – 16Bit
Resolution 33 DMX channels.
Did I miss something or does the above not state the setting for 22-channel/8-bit mode? Hopefully the fixture's actual menu will be more clear than the manual.

One also has to wonder why, if 24-channel/16-bit is the default, that profile is not included in the Element's personalities.

You didn't miss anything. There is no way to set it to 8 bit 22 channel that I can see. Norm is 16 bit, and Ext is who knows what, but it sure isn't 8 bit.

I'm a tad stuck at this point - does anyone know where I can grab a 16 bit profile or how to easily build one?

PROBLEM SOLVED!

So, we approached this problem correctly, and you guys made all correct points, but here is the problem: The fixture is the OLD Powerspot 700 (Apparently it may not be CMY? - I'm a tad confused). I found the manual on the discontinued products page for Elation.

I called Elation and asked them if it was settings in the light, and they told me that it was most likely the older powerspot 700 if we had the 16 and 8 bit's lined up.

Thank you both for your help - much appreciated :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back