Purchasing my own desk

ThomasPen

Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing my own desk for me to use for my freelance gigs. I'm looking at either the MA command wing, Nano hog wing, or martin m2pc, plus the respective usb to dmx adapter to use as a backup. I'm wondering how much, if any I could expect to charge based on the fact I have my own desk.

Would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks,
T

Hi all,
I'm looking at purchasing my own desk for me to use for my freelance gigs. I'm looking at either the MA command wing, Nano hog wing, or martin m2pc, plus the respective usb to dmx adapter to use as a backup. I'm wondering how much, if any I could expect to charge based on the fact I have my own desk.

Would love to hear your feedback!

Thanks,
T

I work on the GrandMA on PC for lighting at a club , works great. I also use the ETC Ion at my theater. I would go with GrandMA on PC with the Command/Fader wing.

If you are getting a console to rent back and to make money your not going to do well with it. If you are getting a console to ensure you always know how to use the console you are programming on and therefore can get gigs done quicker... and do more gigs (ie make more money) then don't worry about how much you should charge for it. A console is really the cheapest part of a rental package anyway. When you rent 10-20 fixtures or more most shops will just throw in a console anyway.

Most people who really do well with there own consoles are the guys who move quickly from gig to gig and need some kind of consistent gear day to day. They do it to allow them to work more, not to make money on the gear.

We have had a few LD's come in with bands that own the entire road package. Theses guys usually have a long term deal with the band where they go with their gear and it is turnkey. Little different of a situation though. Just know that unless you can do the complete package most people won't want to pay for just your console when they will have to go to another vendor for everything else anyway.

The only thing I don't like about the PC based consoles for a freelancer is time it takes to setup. You waste 20 minutes every gig getting your area wired and struck instead of throwing it in a pelican and off you go. That 20 minutes can add up. Take a look at the Chamsys Compact console like. The smallest console is just over 5 grand and it can fit in a plane's overhead. ChamSys USA :: MQ40

ThomasPen, tell us WHY you feel the need to purchase your own console. Most would say there's no economic benefit.

I have to agree with Tim. After 4 years in the concert business, there wasn't a single job where I could have made any more money if I'd brought my own Express along... and there were very few times when I would have made a penny off a better console. ... I've run a couple of shows off my laptop using magicQ, but it didn't make me a dollar - I just preferred it to whatever the rental company had brought along for the particular task I had to get done that day. ...
Very few top Programmer/Designers own their own consoles (although one full-size grandMA owner jokes that it makes more money than his wife does), for all of the reasons Art mentioned. But a $150 investment for the educational experience would certainly be worth it. If you're planning on going into concert lighting, a great start is to work for bands in bars and clubs, where your PC and dongle and wing may often be a better console than whatever the house has. You won't be able to charge a rental fee for it, but if it makes you look better as a designer, and more importantly makes the show look better, why not?

Another huge investment for a student looking to enter concert lighting would be a visualizer. I'd make this a prority over any hardware or software that actually controls lights (other than the $150 Enttec/MagicQ solution discussed above).

One of our members had difficulty disposing of a Chamsys system with wing, and another perhaps waited too long before trying to sell his gMA1 fullsize (even though it had paid for itself many times over).

Perhaps I've been the exception but I've made money on every console I've purchased. 1 own 1 grandma full size series 1, 2 command wing systems, a laptop/NSP system, and an ETC Express 125. I'll be getting a fader wing for the command wings in a few months. Now I do ton of corporate work so that's what I primarily get the income from. The full size one I bought when it was scarce and it accompanied me as a backup console during 3 tours so it paid for itself in 19 months. Of course nowadays I'm trying to sell it off and the market is flooded with series ones. But it's made me enough money I'm not too upset about it. My command wings have paid themselves off very quickly, but I have the freedom to have clients that don't mind me adding them to my labor invoice and since I often get to choose the lighting vendor, most of them don't mind me making them rent it from me on gigs as well. Take in mind however the cost of insuring your gear as well. Luckily in the 7 years I've been renting consoles, I've only had 2 incidences, one a stolen laptop and one dropped console. Both were totally covered under my insurance so no big deal. So I would do some research around your area and see how the various shops feel about subrentals and check with your clients if they mind. If you have any questions I'd be happy to respond.

Axis deBruyn
www.axislights.com

If you are getting a console to ensure you always know how to use the console you are programming on and therefore can get gigs done quicker... and do more gigs (ie make more money) then don't worry about how much you should charge for

Most people who really do well with there own consoles are the guys who move quickly from gig to gig and need some kind of consistent gear day to day. They do it to allow them to work more, not to make money on the gear.

The only thing I don't like about the PC based consoles for a freelancer is time it takes to setup. You waste 20 minutes every gig getting your area wired and struck instead of throwing it in a pelican and off you go. That 20 minutes can add up. Take a look at the Chamsys Compact console like. The smallest console is just over 5 grand and it can fit in a plane's overhead. ChamSys USA :: MQ40

I agree with all of this. Get a console that you are happy with and is versatile enough to do the kind of gigs that you do. If you can make money with it then thats just a bonus. The main purpose will be to help you work better.
The point Kyle makes about PC based systems is very valid. Generally they are as good as a "real board" but there is that extra messing around factor. I do actually have an Avolites Titan Mobile and a little Dell touchscreen laptop that serves me well, and it all fits in a carry-on bag and I spec an extra monitor at the gig. However, an all in one is just better in so many ways.
Therefore look at the ChamSys compact, the 40 is the basic and the 70 is worth thinking about as well because f the extra connectivity and built in wireless. I like the Martin gear too, and the one to consider is the M2GO then you just need a screen. Do take into account carrying this kit on a plane. MA wing is too big and does not have enough playbacks although it does everything else very well.

Thanks for your responses!
My main reason for wanting to buy is to make myself more efficient. I do mostly freelance work for theaters, churches, and some corporate. I'd like to get into touring at some point. My plan is to buy an all in one PC to run the software so I just have to put the desk, screen, and UPS into a pelican and I'm good to go. I can also use my Mac book air(running windows as a backup).

PS
If you guys have any advice for getting into touring. I'd love to hear it.

I do actually have an Avolites Titan Mobile and a little Dell touchscreen laptop that serves me well, and it all fits in a carry-on bag and I spec an extra monitor at the gig. However, an all in one is just better in so many ways.

How do you like the Titan Mobile? I have a Tiger and have been wanting to get the Titan Mobile for a while, just haven't been able to justify it. I would probably pair it with a touchscreen all in one, seems like a very slick setup. I have a friend with that setup but a Chamsys wing and I like it, but I prefer Avo to Chamsys personally.

ThomasPen said:
If you guys have any advice for getting into touring. I'd love to hear it.

It's really about who you know and being in the right place at the right time. My touring work has been from one band because I knew a guy who knew a guy. They called my friend who couldn't go and he referred them to me. Just keep making contacts and treating everyone as if they're you're most important client. Letting people know you're interested in them is sometimes all it takes. A close friend of mine toured with Toad the Wet Sprocket because he mixed them at a festival, did a good job, and told them he wanted to work with them. It's really all about the hustle, like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back