Pyrotechnics questions? Flaming broomstick/audience safety

Hi there, I'm the guy in charge of producing special effects for our spring musical of the Wizard of Oz. As you know there are a lot of pyrotechnics used in this show. We have a 630 seater black box theatre, the audience is on the same level as the performers, there is no 'end' to the stage so to speak as our seating area is moveable.

My first question is, how far away do the pyrotechnics need to be away from the crowd? (there will be pyrotechnics firing up at the front of the stage) Will they be safe to use in a black box type theatre, if at all! Will we need to mark out where not to stand when letting the audience in? Audience member can leave to go to the toilet throughout the show, which involves stepping into the performing area, potentially where the pyrotechnics would be. etc etc basic safety for the audience. I am new to pyrotechnics and I just need some basic knowledge before I talk with the director again.

Second question is, we have the wicked witch too, we had plans of having a broomstick that either shot things out of it, or had quick burst of sparks or fire (like in the west end show) How would I get the scenery makers to produce a flameproof prop, what would it be made of, how would it be fired? (wirelessly/by the witch?) I know it's a lot to ask, but I found this the best place to ask. I am new to this area, so basic language is appreciated. Thanks in advance

We are a professional performing arts high school, and do have large budgets for our shows.

If you have a large budget then the first and foremost thing to do is to hire somebody with the knowledge to do thus safely.

Other will chime in as well, but to start off if you do not know the proper danger zones of pyrotechnics that you plan to use you are obviously not trained and or licensed to so this kind of work. Pryo is a very specialized skill set that one must be trained in before one takes this on.

Not only do you have to deal with, firing,audience and performer safety, one must also comply with the local AHJ.

People on this forum have a wealth if knowledge, biggest one being: they will tell you when your in over your head.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

You will want to hire a local pyrotechnician to sort this out for you. There are particular proximities that will need to be followed, which can vary depending on your geographic location (local codes).

Different pyrotechnic effects are available with predictable heights and durations, so finding an effect that will 'fit' in your blackbox should be possible (this is where the local pyrotechnician is involved). They will measure heights and clearances to ensure an appropriate and safe display. They will most likely also be needed to fire these devices (in the states it is classified as 1.4g which requires an SEO license).

Allowing the audience or any other non-performer within a set distance of any live effect at any time is forbidden, so those clearances will have to be figured out as well so as your audience members can go to the restroom or egress without coming too close to the effects.

These are very general rules that apply here in the US and I'm sure overseas as well. Sorry I don't have any numbers for you. It often depends on local codes and what effects in particular are used.

I will be hiring a pyrotechnician as soon as possible, it's just some basic knowledge that I would need to inform the director of, and if our plans were possible or not. Sorry for the confusion, I would never take on a task that I am not trained in. Thanks for the advice though

You've done the right thing by asking questions first and finding a qualified professional. Anything can be simulated or done safely on stage, it just takes proper planning, personnel and pockets full of money.

-Todd

I am glad to hear that you will be hiring a professional. Anytime where you will have close proximity to pyro, I would reccomend looking for other options. With a small performing area as you describe, you need to consider how loud it might be as well as other factors.

Do you intend to have a raised deck for the performance area? Could this hold less dangerous effects such as foggers (quick burst of fast dissapating smoke)? Same thing with the broom, what about a tinyfogger from Look Solutions? That way, you don't have to worry about errant sparks as well as giving the performer control.

Different pyro effects have different 'exclusion' zones - there's no one hard and fast rule really. As for the broomstick throwing flame, when I did a production of Wizard of Oz, we used a hand held device which uses flash paper to throw a very little (self-extinguishing) fireball then fired a Goldenstar pyro closer to the Scarecrow so it looked like the witch had thrown a small fireball then it exploded into a bigger one - it worked very well.

Many of the tricks in Wizard of Oz can be done with anything from small magician style pyro to really big fire effects. It completely depends on what you have the budget for, what your fire department allows, and what you and your pyro expert choose to use. Thus you really need to get the pyro person on the team early to plan accordingly. Otherwise you'll find yourself redesigning set pieces and reblocking the show at the last minute to fit pyro's needs.

I don't know the specifics in the UK, but in the US the safety distance required is 3 times the fall out distance or 15 feet whichever is greater. In Canada has a similar rule with a few more additions that push it even a bit further away. As with anything in pyro, it really only matters what the AHJ thinks. The best thing you can do is have a pyrotechnician and very good plans describing the effects, the safety distances, that timing, and plans for any and all possible issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back