Sound f/x Qlab/ FireWire box trouble

masterelectrician2112

I have been using Qlab to play songs for the school dance concert, but I am running into a bit of an issue. It seems that every time the FireWire box is turned off, and then turned back on, the sound cues all have x's beside them and won't play. When I change the target to the same file but in a different place, it works fine. The issue is that I have to change the targets every time I turn off the FireWire box. Tonight, I left it on hoping that will fix it temporarily, but I want to know why it is doing this. If it helps, I an using 1 1/4 to 1/4 output from the box to the board. The sound files I am trying to play are in iTunes. Any help given would be much appreciated.

I have been using Qlab to play songs for the school dance concert, but I am running into a bit of an issue. It seems that every time the FireWire box is turned off, and then turned back on, the sound cues all have x's beside them and won't play. When I change the target to the same file but in a different place, it works fine. The issue is that I have to change the targets every time I turn off the FireWire box. Tonight, I left it on hoping that will fix it temporarily, but I want to know why it is doing this. If it helps, I an using 1 1/4 to 1/4 output from the box to the board. The sound files I am trying to play are in iTunes. Any help given would be much appreciated.
Just try closing and re-opening QLab?
Also, afaik, you really shouldn't be turning you audio interface on/off while the computer is on...

If QLab "sees" the Firewire box as your Output device (instead of for instance the Mac Audio Out port) and the device goes away (is shut off) the cues will probably break because no output device exists. It's the same logic as when the target gets moved to a different directory and the individual cue is looking at the previous directory, but this time it's on the output side.

If this is a shutdown/startup issue, try shutting the Mac down first, and then killing the Firewire box, and then on boot, turn the Firewire Box on first then boot the Mac.

Morpheus said:
Just try closing and re-opening QLab?
Also, afaik, you really shouldn't be turning you audio interface on/off while the computer is on...

I closed and opened it and it still didn't work. Also, wasn't aware of the whole turning of the interface while the computer is on thing. Thanks. I'll stop doing that.

its not just QLab that gets temperamental about the firewire boxes. SFX has the same issues. The box needs to be on before the computer and turned off after. Its an operating system thing unless you can some how rig a switch within your motherboard to trigger the device to kick on and off when the sound card is generally booted then you must always have the device connected to the computer and powered before booting the computer.

Follow the same logic as with a sound system.
Power on:
Board then cabinet
Power off:
Cabinet then board.

or like the marines first to get there last to leave.

I have also had this problem from time to time. Usually just going into the Q-lab/Preferences/Sound and making sure the patch leads from "patch 1" to the firewire device fixes the problem. All the cues loose their red Xs.

Now this is in Qlab version 1. I don't know if the patch is the same in version 2.

I have also had this problem from time to time. Usually just going into the Q-lab/Preferences/Sound and making sure the patch leads from "patch 1" to the firewire device fixes the problem. All the cues loose their red Xs.

Now this is in Qlab version 1. I don't know if the patch is the same in version 2.
Patch is the same... not sure if it fixes the issue though, lol.
(Also, i suggest moving up to QLab 2 if you haven't; i love 2. Also, iirc, any licenses transfer* over...)

(*get you a discount)

Thanks. It worked fine tonight. On a side note, I just love how smooth this production is going! This might be the smoothest dance concert I have ever done! I think that this is due to the fact that my light board op is using cue for most of the dances and I am using qlab. The combination has just made things infinitely easier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back