Quality LED Tape Controllers

nobl13

Hey guys, I've been using the Samyo RGBW DMX512 Decoder (link), which I've seen mentioned elsewhere on the site. It's a reasonably good controller at a very low price point, but I've noticed two major problems; channels tend to "stick on" when dimmed on a zero-count, and they don't tend to fade very well between 0-10%. I know Elation makes an 8 channel RGBW powered solution (ELAR Driver-812V), but $450 is a bit above what I want to spend. Does anybody know of a decoder that could cover these issues, or is this symptomatic of low quality LED tape?

Well, Pathway Connectivity makes a great one. LINK
But the MSRP is over $500.. same problem as the Elation model, so thats probably not helpful.
Overall, its not a problem of the tape, its a problem in the lower cost controllers.
Sorry not more helpful.

This is a get what you pay for all the way. I have 7 of the similar chinese decoders and I haven't had one fail yet ( knock on wood ). They aren't the greatest but they do what I need them to do. You are correct that they don't dim nicely in the lower ranges. I would say to that put more led tape on them til they are maxed on the wattage of the controller. Personally I don't feel any of these controllers are made well because they are powering something that you can buy for for pennys per foot.

Well yeah 14 a foot for high end tape. If your going to go with the low end decoders you can get the tape with it.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/5m-300...ller-dc12v_p2256327.html?pos=ultimately_buy_2

You can take this 15 ft tape and still apply it to any 12 or 24v decoder. Obviously this is just a quick Google search but if you dug through some Chinese websites you can find some pretty good deals on newer stuff that goes for cheap on Alibaba.

Like I said the whole led tape and decoders aren't my favorite thing to deal with but unfortunately it is riddle throughout my theatre which has forced me to do my research on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back