Conventional Fixtures question about proscenium lighting

Another option is to weave 3 strands of twinkle lights (xmas lights whatever) together. You can create a chase by giving each strand a circuit then creating the chase on your board. I've used this effect numerous times and it looks excellent. But it takes some time to put together.

Cool idea Grog! Thanks I had never thought of that.

I've used Christmas lights to run a chase up and down a giant set of stairs. Each step had a set of lights just under the lip all the way across. Each step was on a separate circuit. Hook them up to your dimmers and you can dim them and chase them a million different ways. Really cool trick and cheap and easy for that big showstopping dance number.

Chaser strips are a great idea. You would still have to build some sort of a false proscenium to install them. But It would be safer, easier, and probably a lot cheaper than wiring your own full scale chase system.

proxy.php

Played this game before. Its kind of a pain, but its doable. I did this proscenium a few years back. I used C7 lamps on christmas light strands. Don't forget to drop a separate circuit to each strand, do not daisy chain them or you are asking for trouble. I did not wire this one to chase, we only had 48 dimmers in the house so we could not afford to waste 3 on the portal. Would not have been that hard though. Also, if you are looking to do the chase thing, I highly suggest you go with a 4 circuit chase, not a 3. 4's tend to look better.

We do this all of the time, and Kyle is correct in that 4 circuit chases are the minimum, if you want the lights to really look like they are going smoothly in one direction. We Buy premade strings of c7 and c9 sockets in thousand foot reels, then all that is required, is to put a connector on the end of each run. We use the fast mount connectors. If I remember correctly, the c9 stings come with a connector every 30" and the c7 every 12. You can lay 4 runs of the c9 side by side, and tie them every so often with short pieces of wire such as the individual strands from cat5. We buy them from a place on the web call Specialty lighting. We also purchase the lamps in boxes of 25 from the same people. We have purchased about ten different styles of lamps over the last five years, and always put them back in the original boxes when not in use. We also use the$69.95 toolbox dimmers from Bulbamerica.com to drive the chases.
All in all, It can be done for not a lot of money. It is a little time consuming putting the strings together, and mounting them in the arches or portals. We have discovered that it can be done in a few hours if you set up an assembly line with a four or five people. It makes it much faster and less troublesome when handling such long runs and so many lamps.

I agree with Kyle. His solution is fairly inexpensive and it's true that 4 circuit chases look better than 3, although you can get away with 3 in a pinch. You might also Google "belt lighting". The wiring comes built for 4 circuit, cheaper than individual bases, but you still have to buy all the bulbs. Cheaper still, slap the director on the back of the head and tell them to go away.

P.S.: My lawyer tells me that the above statement does not endorse violence against directors no matter how much they may need it. My advice, work up the costs, take it to whomever controls the money and let them decide. Then they get to whack the director.

Ahhh, Neville, that seems like SUCH a tempting end to very many situations. I got screwed over as Assistant Lighting Designer though because my LD is dating the director and he'd kind of get upset if i slapped her.

I also did a chase with rope lights like Gafftaper suggested around a large box in a set. It was much smaller, so it was inexpensive, but the method will work :)

Hello to "Stayfree12"

If you are still looking for C7 or C9 socket strings and lamps for your proscenium arch, checkout Action Lighting at Welcome to Action Lighting- Your one stop lighting shop!

Action has C7 and C9 socket strings with several spacing choices from 6" to 24" and wire colors like white and green. They also carry 5 wire/ 4 circuit chasing rope light by the 150' spool. This stuff is harder to work with than single circuit rope. You need to make your own "Break-in" fan out of the power leaders they supply with the rope light. The supplied leaders are either bare end or have a molded, single, parallel blade 120v plug. Be very careful to figure out which one wire is the neutral vs. the 4 hots!

Good luck with your production.

Dave Horn
The Children's Theatre Company

As the tracks, I've used brown plastic downspouts (look in the eavestrough section), ripped them in half lengthwise on a bandsaw, drilled the holes for the lights and you're away to the races. They're a little bendy when you're putting them in place, but a lot lighter than some other solutions.

Re: Proscenium Marquee Lights

You could use bathroom vanity light bulbs. I'll let others chime in on the wiring and sockets since I'm about to head out. Come to think of it, those strips of 8 or so lights (also for bathroom vanities) would probably also work well. You'd just need a bunch of them.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Belt Lighting is kind of a standard, but I'm not really impressed with it's construction, and I don't know if it's UL listed. Standard E27 base, pick whatever lamps you want (1000bulbs.com is a good source for a variety of bulbs). Not the cheapest, but quick and effective. You could also buy lots of sockets and wire it yourself, if you were motivated.

We accomplished ours with luan backing and front with 1x2 completing the top and bottom sides to create a box. Leaving the back of the luan wider than the light portion of the box allowed us to create a hanging system. We used 3 strands of C-7 'Christmas' lights, to create a 3-circuit marquee. For bulbs, we used ones like these :
Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 25-Watt G16.5 Candelabra Base Soft White Decorative Incandescent Light Bulb at Lowes.com

Experimenting with different hole drill sizes allowed us to find the right size so the socket was supported by screwing the bulb into the outer face.

Other lessons learned included programming the 'chase' effect. The first option that came to mind was:

Step 1
Channel A 100%
Channel B 0%
Channel C 0%

Step 2
Channel A 0%
Channel B 100%
Channel C 0%

Step 3
Channel A 0%
Channel B 0%
Channel C 100%