The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Recommend a controller for cheap RGB LED strip lights

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Ravenbar, Mar 16, 2019 at 6:00 PM.

1. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Member

Every year I handle the lighting for my old HS's spring musical. The last few years they've fallen in love with the cheap RGB LED strip lights. IN the past, we've used the IR remotes to control them with limited success. This year, I've only got 4 stair steps to light as such, I'd like to be able to control them through light the board. Unsure if I'll need 4 channels(if we buy amber LED strips) or if I'll need a 12 channel controller(if we use RGB LED strips), or more if we go with something else.

Recommendations? I don't want to break the bank as this is coming from my personal money, but at the same time I don't want something that's going to fail either.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

There are DMX controllers for RGB LED strip. If you can put all the strips on one channel (both artistically, and power budget-wise), it'll be cheaper.

Check eBay for ones made out of chineseum.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Member

The preference is to handle each step separately(I.E. 12 cir for 3 colors, 4 steps), so we can use them in effect cues to create a chase effect. In the past, we've use christmas lights and I've used 3 circuits to control the, this year they've added a 4th step, and I only have 3 cir available. They want to use LED strips as they give a brighter punch this year.

Looking for recommendations as to what RGB LED controller to get

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

I can't *recommend* this (or any of the related items around it; I have not put my fingers on them), but specification-wise it seems to meet your requirements (up to 30 color channels, 2A per, up to 24V).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123239501419

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. Crisp image

Crisp image Well-Known Member

That is the sort of thing I use. Work quite well
    Regards
    Geoff

RonHebbard likes this.