Automated Fixtures Replacement for High End Color Commands

Brentgi

I'm doing some research and wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestions on this...

I am looking into replacing a set of High End Color Commands (I will probably just repurpose them in another spot, but that's another story). I would like a fixture comparable that is LED.

Specifically:
4,500 Field Lumens
RGBW
Only needs to be wash (we currently do not use the spot feature of the CCs)

I know the lumen part might be an issue. I'm already looking at the ColorSource par, and I may just need to double up.

What are your thoughts?

Brent

The High End moves, a Color Source Par doesn't.

So not sure what the priority is.

I'd look at the Aura XB. Supposed lumens of 4300 'ish, beam size dependent.

We've used 9 older Aura's as primary Vegas/R&R backlights for 3 years or so, they are terrific fixtures. Typical Martin reliability, great output and colors, great zoom range. Not sure as well if any moving LED wash unit doesn't zoom so it's a given (and ultimately useful)

We also have 30 some odd Color Source Pars in a few spaces. They are good to about a 15-18 ft. 'ish throw, then you wish they were brighter. Great lens options and great colors, even on the older non-enhanced deep blue versions. The ETC colors are very good and I could see using these for face lighting.

If not bright enough, the Desire D60 has great colors as well and the ETC lens system.

The High End moves, a Color Source Par doesn't.

So not sure what the priority is.

The ColorCommand is a non-moving CMY wash. You may be thinking of the Studio Command.

I also have a set of CC's and our handful of $400 Elation LEDs beat them in every way except for the variable frost and sheer punch from the 750w lamp. That's the main reason I keep them around - they do well FOH. I'll be curious to see recommendations as well.

It is going to be difficult finding a direct replacement, but I'd take a look at the Elation Arena Par Zoom. Strictly by the numbers it isn't as bright, but I think it is a lot closer in perceptible brightness. Otherwise you're talking about going into the moving light category to get enough output.

The ColorCommand is a non-moving CMY wash. You may be thinking of the Studio Command.

I also have a set of CC's and our handful of $400 Elation LEDs beat them in every way except for the variable frost and sheer punch from the 750w lamp. That's the main reason I keep them around - they do well FOH. I'll be curious to see recommendations as well.

Correct, ColorCommand does not move. It does have an adjustable beam angle, although we don't really utilize it. Which Elation fixtures are you referring to?

It is going to be difficult finding a direct replacement, but I'd take a look at the Elation Arena Par Zoom. Strictly by the numbers it isn't as bright, but I think it is a lot closer in perceptible brightness. Otherwise you're talking about going into the moving light category to get enough output.

Thanks for the suggestion here. I'm definitely interested in the Arena Par. I kind of like the idea of being able to go down to a 10° angle on those.

What do you guys think about the Chauvet COLORado 1-Tri Tour? Seems like it's go a decent output on it...

That 1-Tri Tour is going to have a lot less output than the Arena Par. Looks like somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 the output of the colorsource par. You'd have to get a lot more of them to do the job.

I can offer you a deal on some used color commands if you want to replace your color commands with more color commands ;)

I would second/third the Elatin Arena Pat's. We just bought a bunch for our rental inventory and really like them. Having the zoom is really helpful and the output is great. Other than the not moving part, it can compete with an Aura in brightness and it doesn't have a donut hole when zoomed out. Biggest compliant is that it is RGBW instead of RGBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back