Replacing Tails on Fixtures

KateGlen

Hi, I've been working at a theatre on lighting maintenance and repairs, and we have a bunch of 8" fresnels and 6X9 Axials that need the tails replaced. The new tails have been ordered, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any pointers on how to do this. Thanks!

Hi, I've been working at a theatre on lighting maintenance and repairs, and we have a bunch of 8" fresnels and 6X9 Axials that need the tails replaced. The new tails have been ordered, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any pointers on how to do this. Thanks!

It helps to have a Heyco tool for the strain relief on the Altman 360Q's, makes it soooo much easier getting the plastic relief piece in and out - Production Advantage sells them - and they are worth the $70 - Electrical & Focusing Tools

Buy some spare Heyco strain reliefs as well. Maybe call ProAdv to see if they carry them, if not they can get them from Altman

The fresnels, depends on manufacturer. Sometimes there's a loose fiber plate under the old socket that prevents stray wires from shorting against metal. If the new sockets don't come with them, keep the old to re-use.

Have the tech's doing the work pay attention to the old socket and new socket install to make sure the lamp tap slots align correctly. else the lamp won't sit in the fixture correctly.

DON'T remove any grounding/green wires !. They all stay in place, you are only replacing as needed the socket leads !.

And as a BTW, any of the old wiring that white cloth stuff ?.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers, Steve. And yes, a couple of the lamps have the white cloth stuff casing the old wiring.

Thanks for the pointers, Steve. And yes, a couple of the lamps have the white cloth stuff casing the old wiring.

Ooops !. That white cloth stuff usually contains asbestos. You do not want to be handling the fixtures, other then to get them bagged up ASAP in heavy duty garbage bag until someone trained for it, can deal with them. I have been told by our HSO to wear a face mask and latex gloves while handling/bagging, as precaution.

If this is a school, there may be a Health and Safety officer on campus/staff that knows how and is tasked with dealing with this. Contact them ASAP.

If a private/non school related facility, time to bump it up to management to deal with.

Sorry for the bad news.

Is it really that serious? Our HSO was just in and we have a few old scoops hung in the scene shop, for paint light, and they seemed to think it was fine to have them chilling out...

Is it really that serious? Our HSO was just in and we have a few old scoops hung in the scene shop, for paint light, and they seemed to think it was fine to have them chilling out...

Its really only an issue when its disturbed. Otherwise just sitting there is likely not to cause any issues. Now if you move them you could come into having lots of issues. Our theater at USD has an asbestos fire curtain, It hasn't been moved the entire time I've been there and its in the works to get it replaced. There are also several instruments that have asbestos whips that are slowly being replaced. All the asbestos cables are wrapped in heat shrink and sealed off so no amount of movement will cause any of the asbestos to become air born particulate. That said there is a local private high school that is having their old theater completely torn apart to get the asbestos insulation out of the walls.

Ooops !. That white cloth stuff usually contains asbestos. You do not want to be handling the fixtures, other then to get them bagged up ASAP in heavy duty garbage bag until someone trained for it, can deal with them. I have been told by our HSO to wear a face mask and latex gloves while handling/bagging, as precaution.

If this is a school, there may be a Health and Safety officer on campus/staff that knows how and is tasked with dealing with this. Contact them ASAP.

If a private/non school related facility, time to bump it up to management to deal with.

Sorry for the bad news.

the important thing is to get someone to look at the fixture who knows what asbestos wiring looks like before condeming fixtures just because they have white fibre wiring. There is a white fibreglass outer sheathed wire used on some older fixtures which is not asbestos the two are very different in appearance and easily distinguished when you know what you are looking at.

White and puffy are the warning signs. Most fiberglass has a very visible weave, the bad stuff may have a weave but it kind of mushes together.

As for the danger, Ask 10 people you will get 10 answers. But, if you are healthy, would you want to take up smoking a pack or two a day? Like smoking, no exposure gives you the best outcome.

Amazingly enough, certain industries still use the stuff, although it has been out of use on new fixtures for about 35 years in our profession.

Bottom line is that it is a hazardous material. Worse than smoking of having mercury in your fillings? Who knows, but I bet that a lot of old ship workers would say YES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back