Rigging a traveling hard flat. HELP!

matt eisenmann

HELLO EVERYONE!!
I recently started working at a theater that does not have a fly system but there is plenty of dead hang space, including three traveling curtains. My question is, would it be possible to remove the curtains from their track and attach hanging, hard flats instead? I am trying to have two hard flats (approximately 6'x12') hang on the traveling track and move just like the mid-stage would. Thank you, and help would be very appreciated!

It's Possible! need to know: What kind of track you have, How is it rigged <ie will it support the load>
Almost all the track manufacturers have some kind of "scenery carrier" available. I've even been known, in the past, to manufacture my own. Two 6x12 flats doesn't sound like much of a load and should be within all but the lightest weight tracks capabilities.
Can you post a pic of the track? or measure and describe it?

yes, its done all the time. The scenery carriers will have a hole or ring for you to tie on your operating line. Rigged the same way as your traveler curtain.

When designing dead hung stages, I frequently install "general purpose" tracks for scenery, separate form the traveler curtains. These are box tracks, not the "i-beam" extruded style, though that might be possible. I usually include a supply of standard curtain carriers - enough to hang two rental drops on a track - one to store each side - as well as some scenery carriers - along with having signage posted about capacity. They seem to be rated in the 150 or 200 pound range - and run from $50 to over $200 each. I'd go along with Van to say it's possible to build your own out of either wheels from spare carriers or buy steel bearings, and a bolt though a plate. On 4 or more wheels you can even put wheels high or just plastic to bear against top of track to keep it from tipping - more useful for a piece hanging from one carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back