Ringing a phone.

Kally123

Howdy all!

Ok so I am a bit old school, and I am wondering if there is anybody out there that still makes tele-cue machines? Could not find a thread on any such hardware here so I am asking y'alls' help.

Thanks

Try a search for "Phone Ringer." I saw 3 or 4 threads that might help you.
:)

Don't discount the fun you can have solving this one for yourself!
I made a old rotary phone ring by rigging an electric toothbrush to spin the clapper between the existing bells when a button was pressed offstage. A little buzzy, but a fun project!
We rigged the circuit to interrupt when the receiver was picked up.
-Tim

There are a few websites of people who used an old audio amp. The biggest trick is trying to get a 20-30Hz signal through an amp for a distributed audio system which usually won't pass that frequency very well. I ended up amplitude modulating a couple kHz sine wave at 30Hz, and it rang the phone pretty good. Then you can just trigger it as a sound cue.

-Danny

We are doing this on our current show. Short chunks of a sine wave as an MP3 file on a USB stick, routed to a channel on our LS9, which is in turn routed to an output and down the snake to a bridged Crown K1, which is connected to a phone ringer. A User Defined Key is configured to start the file. I think we are using 30Hz (my cohort put it all together).

Your local electrical distributor should be able to sell you a phone-sounding bell and transformer pretty cheap. They're still on the market as extension ringers for warehouses and such. Or a doorbell.

If you have an old school phone you want to ring it takes 90 VAC (for North American phones) Mouser might have a transformer or you could use a variac. The current is very low so pretty thin wire, like 22ga should work just fine.

For all that I usually just keep some phone samples handy and play them back on a CD player, iPod, sampler, or computer. Sent to a small speaker hidden somewhere upstage or in the rigging the audience is generally none the wiser.

Right, forgot that bit and kind of glossed over it when I read the previous posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back