Design Run Light Color- Blue or Red?

As it was explained to me by the the tag-team instructors consisting of the Head Electricians at the University of MN and the Children's Theatre here in Minneapolis, the biggest issue has to do with the national electric code and cable issues. The NEC is pretty clear that all cabling used backstage in entertainment venues for "temporary use" and that caries 120 (or more) volts is to be 600 volt rated SO or SOOW (NOT SJ) and should be of sufficient ampacity to carry the full rated capacity of the circuit into which it is plugged.

As it was explained to me by the the tag-team instructors consisting of the Head Electricians at the University of MN and the Children's Theatre here in Minneapolis, the biggest issue has to do with the national electric code and cable issues. The NEC is pretty clear that all cabling used backstage in entertainment venues for "temporary use" and that caries 120 (or more) volts is to be 600 volt rated SO or SOOW (NOT SJ) and should be of sufficient ampacity to carry the full rated capacity of the circuit into which it is plugged.

But on a clip light, wouldn't the 18/2 SPT qualify as part of the UL listed assembly? Especially with a molded NEMA 1-15 plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It might in Chicago. apparently it no longer does in Minneapolis or St. Paul according to the inspectors. All depends on the day and the inspector from what I'm told.

It might in Chicago. apparently it no longer does in Minneapolis or St. Paul according to the inspectors. All depends on the day and the inspector from what I'm told.

Sounds pretty strict. Unreasonably so, if you ask me. Did they make you rebuild your laptop's power brick using 12/3 SOOW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds pretty strict. Unreasonably so, if you ask me. Did they make you rebuild your laptop's power brick using 12/3 SOOW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree Les! I've found electrical inspectors to be rather interesting creatures, some of them take things to some pretty far extremes, and others are very easy going. Especially NEW inspectors or inspectors trying to work their way "up" the ladder, they can be a particular "nuisance".

Have quite a few stories I can share. Including one from last week that the EE, inspectors and electricians all missed until final inspection...

The only real fault with clip lights I'd say is the bare lamp and the really crappy holding power of the clamp. I've seen a few clip lights go flying, for various reasons. Also seen a lot of them remain in service when broken to a point that they should really be tossed. But they really are cheap and convenient to get temporary task lighting where you need it.

I've never noticed... Are any clip lights UL or CSA approved?

If the fault is seen with the wiring then they would have to get rid of music stand lights, and countless other useful things too!

My biggest annoyance with clip lights is how easily the threads strip out on the socket.

They do make heavy duty locking spring clamp clip lights, which I can't easily find a pic of, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My questions would be is it possible to retrofit the cliplight with SO cable or would that void the UL? Would that even make financial sense?

I don't think SO would fit through the hole in the back of the socket. I guess while we're on that subject, I have never seen a powered speaker or amp with an SO cord either. I agree about "green" inspectors -- sometimes it's good to have a fresh set of eyes on things, but there are also times when they just want to exercise their power to impress the bosses.

Modifying a UL listed device/assembly in any way voids its listing.

That said, I'm not sure an AHJ can disallow the use of an unmodified UL listed device. They can absolutely REQUIRE the use of listed devices and disallow non-listed.. But they can't prohibit you from using a listed device for an arbitrary reason. If they banned clip lights simply for the type of cord despite its UL listing, they would have to extend that to everything - including computers/laptops, mixers, consoles, coffee pots, vacuum cleaners, etc etc etc etc etc. The exception to this is they CAN tag you for using a UL listed device in an unapproved manner, IE: a cliplight that has been 'permanently' mounted (screwed to a wall, cord stapled to the wall, etc), cord running through a wall, permanently mounted J cord, etc.

That's what I thought. Interesting aside about the other UL power cables, I don't think I've ever seen an IEC that was SO.

Here's another thought- At one point I was considering purchasing string work lights-

http://www.grainger.com/product/LUMAPRO-Light-String-6YF72?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

but I couldn't find any that were SO. This one is SJTW, but the device itself is UL listed. We have some long catwalks that have no run lights and it seems like suspending these work lights and patching them into a dimmer would be a decent fix, but I'm not sure it'd meet with the code.

I am about to redo all of my run lights which right now are a mixed bag of blue par cans and blue clip lights. According to my Google research red light does not affect our natural night vision however blue very much does. Is there some reason that run lights are always blue rather than red? It seems to me that we all have had it wrong for many years. Has anyone ever tried using a deep red as your run light rather than the more traditional blue? What are the downsides? Is there something I am missing?

Yeah red doesn't work. It's great for stargazing, when your eyes have several minutes to adjust to the low light level. But in theater try walking off a brightly lit stage into a red backstage... it's like looking into a black hole. Your eyes aren't in night vision mode yet. Blue seems to work better.

Maybe someone has a scientific answer for you. I tried red running lights once. Not so great. Or do this... put your script under a red light while running the light board. Now go back and forth looking at the bright stage then your red lit notes. Can you read it?

That said, I'm not sure an AHJ can disallow the use of an unmodified UL listed device. They can absolutely REQUIRE the use of listed devices and disallow non-listed.. But they can't prohibit you from using a listed device for an arbitrary reason. If they banned clip lights simply for the type of cord despite its UL listing, they would have to extend that to everything - including computers/laptops, mixers, consoles, coffee pots, vacuum cleaners, etc etc etc etc etc. The exception to this is they CAN tag you for using a UL listed device in an unapproved manner, IE: a cliplight that has been 'permanently' mounted (screwed to a wall, cord stapled to the wall, etc), cord running through a wall, permanently mounted J cord, etc.

Late reply? Heck YES!, but I did not ressurect the thread, someone else did! SO THERE! (BTW, indeed use BLUE not RED).

Actually they CAN and DO. There are different "ratings" depending on the situation. You could for instance not use a normal light in an area that is required to be "explosion proof", even though the normal light is UL/CSA/etc approved.

I am not sure about the codes in the USA, however here in Canada (while they tend to be VERY SIMILAR) there are specific codes that pertain to theatre and performance spaces including codes pertaining to wire and cord type and mechanical protection of electrical devices.

I left my code book at work so I can't quote you exactly however in general on a theatre stage "cable is to be of hard useage or better", wiring methods must provide "mechanical protection of installed wiring", and electrical panels require further mechanical protection (seen that one violated many times too, without inspectors minding too much). All that basically boils down to, is the code expects that things on a stage may be subject to things like nearby rigging and moving set pieces, not to mention actors and etc etc etc all that fun stuff that happens in performance spaces that has the capability to ruin some things and generally make electrical devices have a not so nice day.

The wire on a clip light DOES NOT meet these codes. However typically this is ignored as the device is "not permanent" and is in theory monitored for damage.

That and "extension cords" MAY NOT BE USED for permanent use (at all ever, anywhere), and cords like that can not be "permanently installed" in many ways that various work likes and clip lights sometimes are.

Therefore the AHJ is well within their power and completely justified in not liking "permanent use" of clip lights and other lights.

NOTE: Yes there are fixtures etc. that are rated "residential only", "commercial", etc. It can still be UL approved, but not approved for where you want.

I am about to redo all of my run lights which right now are a mixed bag of blue par cans and blue clip lights. According to my Google research red light does not affect our natural night vision however blue very much does. Is there some reason that run lights are always blue rather than red? It seems to me that we all have had it wrong for many years. Has anyone ever tried using a deep red as your run light rather than the more traditional blue? What are the downsides? Is there something I am missing?
The human eye is most sensitive to green and least sensitive to blue, the result is that blue is least likely to be seen in the wings when the stage is lit. The object is to be able to move around during blackouts, so some light is needed. Unfortunately, a standard lamp at a dim level is still very visible. The new twist is that the blue CFLs spike in a UV region that makes reactive paints and tape visible, and they can be used as markers for sets and safe walk paths. Kind of a win-win situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back