Running DMX and Power to Electrics

No good reason to go to a DMX only distribution system, using splitters, etc... these days. Better off with nodes/gateways due to the ability to infinitely expand across multiple universes. Cat 5 is cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain (not that good quality DMX gear isn’t reliable) and easier to use.

Big caveat is that for the time being, you still need DMX for the last 50 ft. or so. Either nodes on the gid and DMX down to the electrics, or nodes on the electrics, your call as to complexity and ease of use.

There are LED and movers out there that now provide for Cat 5 connections on the fixtures, including pass-thru, which helps alleviate the need to Home run every Cat5 cable back to a switch. That’s going to be the trend, which just makes the argument against a DMX distributed system stronger.

Which partly answers ech725’s question, that the nodes (gateways) have DMX output ports (or they can be input, thus the flexibility) that gets the DMX the last 5 or 50 ft to the LED fixtures. If the fixtures of the future take Cat5 directly, great, use that.

Does beg the question as to will an LED fixture accepting Cat5 and sACN directly allow the fixture to be set to address “5/23”, etc....

Last edited:
Just a small note on DMX cable
Cat 5 / 6 cable is fine for DMX
either crimp your ends on and get adapters , soider your flavor of XLR to the end with proper heat shrink or build adapter boxes
either way can't beat 7 cents per foot and you can run an in and an out in the same home run.

One bit of advice on your home runs and tough to run locations pull 2 or more spares, easier to pull extras than to pull a second time. and always pull a pull line in case you do need to pull other things.
I have come to love structure wire (ie cat 5 / 6 that is not running thru a network). It is incredible flexible. Not only can you run a network, but dmx hdmi all down the same type of wire. Baluns are the best way to get video audio KVM down the line and you even run cue lights systems from the booth to the stage or catwalk. next show the same wire can be used for something else.

I have been successfully using wireless DMX for a couple of years. In one venue I use 4 receivers, one for each dimmer, and run no control cable at all. In my other venue, which is much larger, I have a ETC dimmer rack that controls most of my standard fixtures, but I use wireless to control my newer LED fixtures. This may not apply to your situation, but then again it might be worth thinking about. And if you get into a situation where the receiver is not getting a strong enough signal, run a cable to a better place and plug the receiver in there (although they do need power, see below).

And being honest, I use "El Cheapo E-Bay" wireless devices, which cost less than $20 a piece. I would recommend you NOT do that though, as while they work, long term you get what you pay for. Buy from someone reputable with a good warranty.

Like I said, each receiver needs power, which is a hassle, but turns out they only need 5w, ie. USB power. I have actually used a USB power pack to run them, making them fully wireless.

Good Luck
Jack

No good reason to go to a DMX only distribution system, using splitters, etc... these days.

Well, one good reason, cost. If you need a little DMX for a small number of LEDs, say 50-75, DMX distribution is pretty inexpensive compared to nodes and network. If you were pretty sure you would be adding a lot more within 3-5 years, network could indeed be a better option, but the cost of another 50-75 units needing DMX is large compared to cost of adding network, and most of the DMX only gear is reuseable.

No good reason to go to a DMX only distribution system, using splitters, etc... these days. Better off with nodes/gateways due to the ability to infinitely expand across multiple universes. Cat 5 is cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain (not that good quality DMX gear isn’t reliable) and easier to use.

Big caveat is that for the time being, you still need DMX for the last 50 ft. or so. Either nodes on the gid and DMX down to the electrics, or nodes on the electrics, your call as to complexity and ease of use.

There are LED and movers out there that now provide for Cat 5 connections on the fixtures, including pass-thru, which helps alleviate the need to Home run every Cat5 cable back to a switch. That’s going to be the trend, which just makes the argument against a DMX distributed system stronger.

Steve
I have seen fixtures that allow DMX over cat5 cable. I have not seen fixtures that speak Streaming ACN, Artnet, etc ( and therefore needing a switch). Can you provide a pointer?

Is that like running DMX-512 over Ethernet? Because that's a lot different from simply running DMX-512 using Category 5 cable and either terminating it with XLR5 or 8P8C (RJ45) connectors. I know ETC makes fixtures that accept the latter, but again, that's DMX-512, not Ethernet.

There are a number of fixtures that in addition to having dmx connectors also have either ethercon or rj45 connectors.
>Robe-USITT DMX-512, RDM, ArtNet, MA Net, MA Net2, sACN
>HighEnd-DMX512, RDM, ArtNet
>ChauvetProfessional-DMX , WDMX, sACN, and Art-Net
That applies to many of the newest fixtures and these are just the ones I checked.

I think this is where it gets confusing (at least for me).
There are a number of fixtures that in addition to having dmx connectors also have either ethercon or rj45 connectors.
>Robe-USITT DMX-512, RDM, ArtNet, MA Net, MA Net2, sACN
>HighEnd-DMX512, RDM, ArtNet
>ChauvetProfessional-DMX , WDMX, sACN, and Art-Net
That applies to many of the newest fixtures and these are just the ones I checked.

I believe those all use XLR-5 (and/or XLR-3) connectors for DMX-512 and plain 8P8C or EtherCon for Ethernet carrying something other than DMX-512.

ETC makes some fixtures where the RJ45 connector is DMX-512 (i.e. RS-485).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back