Control/Dimming RVI & Color Picking

Meike

Hello all,

I'm having some issues with our RVI.

We want to be able to color pick from the RVI. I've seen it work before, but can't seem to do it now.
We can see the color picker, but cannot change the selected channels.

Also, our F3 key isn't working as it should. It should go into the blind screen. Ours just displays a gray screen (much like it should), still says 'Live' at the top, and doesn't reflect the cue. We also can't seem to next through cues in blind.

Any ideas/ suggestions would be aweseome.
Thanks so much!

Meike

A couple basic questions first: First off, Which console are you connected to? It may not be that important, but it is good to know. Second, did you get the RVI and the console together and are they running the same version of the Eos family software? There can be issues if they are not.

What user/mode have you set the RVI to? If your RVI is in mirror mode, you won't be able to control anything from it. If you want to manipulate selections that your board op at the primary console is making then you have to have your RVI set to the same user as the console. This will mean that you share a command line so you couldn't both be trying to make changes at exactly the same time, but if the op selected channels and then you picked the color, it would work fine. If you are set up as different users then you can make whatever changes you want to, but you will have to select the channels you want to work on. In this setup you don't share a command line with the console, so you and the op could make changes to different channels at the same time.

Personally, if I am working at an RVI and need to modify fixtures with NPs, I like to have the ML Virtual Controls module open. It is a pretty quick way to control fixtures and it only populates with controls pertinent to the selected channels. Sure, you don't get the huge version of the color picker, but it is functional.

Your blind issue sounds like either a user number issue and possibly Flexi state, unless you are in mirror mode, but in mm you shouldn't be able to get to blind unless the console goes blind.

We've been working this way,(operator selects/production table runs picker),for three years or so and everyone seems happy. There is a period of adjustment while the designer/asst get used to having a "live" device on the table;but then them having a mouse means they can be the masters of their own destiny as far as displays go...........

We've been working this way,(operator selects/production table runs picker),for three years or so and everyone seems happy. There is a period of adjustment while the designer/asst get used to having a "live" device on the table;but then them having a mouse means they can be the masters of their own destiny as far as displays go...........

Frankly, as a programmer, I wouldn't want to give up that level of control unless it was to a true second programmer. Every time you put buttons in front of an LD the chances of something going wrong increase exponentially. I also haven't worked with an LD who couldn't communicate what color they wanted in some fashion that made sense to me as a programmer. All things considered, this is where the gel picker and presets really come in handy. Most LDs think in terms of the swatch book anyway, so the fact that they can pick a color that is familiar and all I have to do is touch it, makes programming really easy.

Most of the LDs that I have worked with wouldn't know how to navigate the GUI of the console/RVI let alone pick colors. I set up the displays so they are happy and then away we go.

Hello all,

Some more details-
We are using an EOS. I believe we are using the same version of software (although I will double check at the break).
Both the console and RVI are user 1.

We have tried in mirror mode, and without, with scroll lock on and off.
A new development, the RVI behaves as it should we we initially turn it on. When left alone for a bit (20-30 minutes) it stops working.

As an interesting side note- the RVI is picky about its IP address as of late. One day 192.168.1.113 will work, the next I have to change it to .112 to make it work, and vice versa. The console has been consistently working with 192.168.1.111.

Thanks for the help!

Meike

Hi Meike,

This may best resolved by a call in to us in Phone Support (800-688-4116) -- we'd be able to step through a number of things to try and see what's going on.

With that said:

It sounds like there may be a couple of things going on, which may be related:
1. The network configuration may be off slightly
2. The RVI is disconnecting or dropping its session with the master

For the network, what all is connected to the system? This would include wireless routers, DMX gateways, switches, consoles, RVIs, etc... Anything that shares this network. What are the IP addresses configured to for everything? I'm wondering if there is a DHCP server somewhere issuing duplicate IP addresses.

If you change the RVI IP address to something way out of range of the rest of your equipment (possibly something like 192.168.1.3? 192.168.240?), what happens? Also, is there any reason why the IP addresses are out of the ETC recommended 10.101.x.x range? (This can be a valid change, and can work, just checking).

In regards to the RVI, what does it say above the command line when the unit stops responding? Is client in yellow text (normal), or is it white with a red background (disconnected)?

If this happens again, you can also save logs from the primary console and from the RVI and send them in to us, noting the date and time that it happened. (For information on how to save logs, see the ETC wiki article here: Saving Log Files We should be able to look at that time and see if we can find a reason for the disconnect. (You can email the logs to me at hh <at> etcconnect <dot> com).

Thanks!

Update for anyone else who may come across this problem-

Talked to tech services. He had me change the IP address in the console to 10.101.90.101
the gateway to 10.101.90.101
the first address under network services to 10.101.50.102
uncheck "Backup takes control at higher priority"

On the RVI I checked "Enable DHCP"

Also put in a network switch between the console and RVI.

Things seem to be working as of now, very excited. We'll see how the rest of tech goes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back