Safety Issues in the Theatre

Rather than get side tracked here, I'm going to start a new thread in lighting to discuss mega clamps...

When I hang things vertically I tend to really lock 'em off, as we don't safety them in that situation, so I've always figured it's better to mess up the pipe a little, to make sure it really stays on there.

My concern with sidearms is that in order to pan, you have to loosen the bolt on the yoke. I personally like to have an instrument secure when focusing it. I personally only like loosening the bolt on the yoke when it is on the ground.

On the positive side of things though that is the procedure I use when hanging an instrument (fixture? I still don't know what I should be callin' 'em), only I tighten a little much. I also employ the two man rule for most hanging, and for all instruments on our main slots. I feel the position is too hazardous to be accomplished by one person, especially with a very heavy KL, and a narrow and hot (aka sweat on hands) space.
Instrument vs Fixture:

The professional word is "instrument", not "fixture", though of course you'll hear all sorts of incorrect stuff thrown around.

That's in theater, in construction/architecture realm it is a "luminaire" and not a "fixture" (and not a "light" or "lamp" which actually refers to what the hardward store calls a "bulb".) Fixtures are plumbing (in construction) and fixtures are things permanently attached to the structure (real estate).

Another one you'll hear wrong, and sometimes from people who should know better, is column versus post. The vertical framing member that bears weight is a column. A post is part of a fence or a wood-framed barn (post and beam construction).

Sorry to hear about the Chinese C-clamps. The stuff I worked with was handed down and cared for from the old days, weighed a ton, was older than I was, couldn't imagine it breaking. Safety cables? Harnesses? Don't forget your lighting helmet before you go on stage. ....... :)

Wow...thanks for the grammar lesson. Here's the problem, you'll work with many professionals who'll call it a fixture as well an instrument. Sometimes in the same breath. Its like the word leko..we all know what it is, but its like saying Kleenex for tissues.

In the theatre there's a thousand words for everything.

Yeah my vote is for Instrument as the "proper" term but you'll here a lot of fixture people out there. I wonder if this is one of those regional issues.

Generally I'll refer to a single instrument by its type (Par, Fresnel, 6x) and a group of them as instruments. I've also gotten into the habit of calling moving lights fixtures which I imagine comes from programing a g-MA. But it helps me deliniate between a conventional light and a moving head light when I'm designing or programing.

Darkfield, While I beleive you have a point, I think you also might be splitting hairs. Yes In the architectural world Lighting instruments are often refered to as Luminaire, they are also called fixtures when installed permenantly. Their purpose must also be considered, before arriving at a final definition. Instrument tends to be dominant in the theatrical industry, Fixture, in the R&R / Production Industry, Cinema will usually refer to the individual piece of equipment by it's nickname, Baby, babysoft, Inky, 6K, 10K etc., etc., ad nasuem.

Your definition of Column versus Post is, I beleive, incorrect. If a Post is not load bearing then how do you explain the existence of a King or Queen post in window, door and rafter framing? To be safe, a Column is typically a Decorative weight bearing device or structure. For that matter not all columns are weight bearing, some are merely for decoration, and rarely will you find a column that is a single piece.
And what then do we do with the lowly decorative fence post. It's a post, but bears no weight, but it's for show.?????

On a continent far far away, I was brought up to describe the object as a "Lantern" or "Luminaire" began running into "Instrument" more recently. As far as I am concerned it's only a "fixture" if it's permanent and the glass thing inside that glows is called a lamp or a bubble.
Just locally at one theatre I worked we called ML's wobblies.
"Wobbley light technology." I've always liked that.

On a continent far far away, I was brought up to describe the object as a "Lantern" or "Luminaire" began running into "Instrument" more recently. As far as I am concerned it's only a "fixture" if it's permanent and the glass thing inside that glows is called a lamp or a bubble.
Just locally at one theatre I worked we called ML's wobblies.
"Wobbley light technology." I've always liked that.

When I was in Adelaide for the Fringe this past March I heard the term Wobbley for the first time. It made me laugh.

That being said my favorite winery is just outside of Adelaide and you should totally send me a few bottles because I can't find it stateside!

Which winery, we have so many great wineries and I am not overstating? I do like some California wines though. Not necesarily easy to get here. And where did you hear wobbly? I'm fascinated because I thought only about ten people in the world used that.
And if you come back again next year or at any future fringe PM me first maybe you can grab a home cooked meal while you are here.

Paxton. You're right theres a lot of great winery's there but hands down Paxton Vineyards was my favorite. If you haven't had their '02 Shiraz you're missing out. And I'm not a white wine drinker but their chardonnay was fantastic.

I worked in the Nexus Cabert and the house tech used it.

I'd love to come back next year but I don't think my new employer sends shows to any Fringe festival.

Look for Raymond's from the Napa Valley if you like Cali wines.

Cool, I will try the Paxton wines and will look for the Raymonds.
I was the resident at Holden Street Theatres where they did "What I Heard about Iraq."
Hey if you ever do come back get in touch. Same goes for any CB'er get in touch if you ever pass through Adelaide.

If memory serves we weren't that far away from each other. I actually wanted to make it to that show but didn't.

...I should probably move this to another thread as opposed to hijacking this one.....so I will over in Off Topic.

how about a fire curtain that was cut during a prank and re hung and superglued to itself to stay up?

basically the rope got pulled back in and they attached a metal ball to the end, twisted it around a few times and superglued it to itself to keep it up.

safe eh?

Wow Old thread, but interesting...
We had a 6.8 magnitude earthquake hit here in 2001. I had 150 kids in my high school little theater watching a guest speaker. I was in the booth at the time. I watched and listened as about 25- 360Q's with 20+ year old C-clamps, hanging over the audience, banged together for about a minute. Luckily no c-clamps failed but I was sure glad I had safety cables.

Less then a month ago we had a rock concert, and they were really rockin... Lots of bass, loose plaster falling from the ceiling, that kinda stuff. While I was programming I had my crew go around and make sure every instrument in the house was secure and safetyed. Probably wasn't necessary but a good thing to do every once and a while. I told our FOH sound guy that I was gonna be pissed if I had to refocus any instruments after the concert.

Never had a light fall, but I have had a lamp blow because of really loud feedback.

...yes along with fire drills we have earthquake drills.
I used to live in CA, I miss earthquake drills. I was 7 or 8, back when kids were small enough to hide under there desks.
We did have a small earthquake in Iowa not too long ago. I slept trough the main quake, then was driving during a minor aftershock. I'm sad I didn't feel it.:boohoo:

Just before a tech run at UNLV a 4-leaf barn door for an 8" fresnel fell because it was oriented 180-degrees off... about a week after the hang and focus. It fell 30 seconds after one of my compatriot ASM's and I moved off the platform. Put a pretty good size gash in the stair. Needless to say didn't tell the TD, the LD and crew went up quickly and looked at ALL the instruments. Yeah, fun time had by all.
Two ceiling tiles fell from the rafters, above the fly system. Yeah, broke through the deck. We were stunned that it didn't hit a single rail.
It was an old theatre... Elvis played there.

Our biggest issue is lack of budget to supply enough staff to oversee user groups using the space. Prime example, I was in our scene shop helping the carpenters with a large set piece when I heard a commotion coming from the stage. I quickly went on deck to find that they had let a 12 year old bring in a set of our downstage legs and ended up knocking a set piece over and hitting his mom in the head with the batton. No one was seriously hurt thankfully, but the mom was blaming me for not telling them that the fly system could be dangerous. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of her standing right beside our big black, white and red DANGER, Do not operate linesets without proper approval by our staff. SEVERE BODILY INJURY AND EXTENSIVE PROPERTY DAMAGE MAY RESULT sign. Other than that, we run a pretty safe space.

. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of her standing right beside our big black, white and red DANGER, Do not operate linesets without proper approval by our staff. SEVERE BODILY INJURY AND EXTENSIVE PROPERTY DAMAGE MAY RESULT sign.

If only the theatre Gods were that kind. I've never had an instrument fail (As I quickly run around the house looking for some wood to knock on). But I have had actors run underneath the set while it is being flown in... that is about as unsafe as I can handle. ( No one was hurt except the mild rope burn on my hands)
~N

Unsafe, and scary.

I have a photo of the situation in my post on a 1920's theatre, but I'll save a re-post. My theatre was built in 1928, and most recently remodeled in the early 1980's. When they did this they added a single purchase fly system with ~30 sets... and no loading bridge!? :evil:

I really hate rigging days, it's always fun to have 6 sweaty techs in a circle around a lineset trying to hoist it in to re-weigh it. GRRR!

the only thing i have noticed are the bolts that hold the yoke to the clamp will become loose every now and then.

there was one safety cable that looked like some one made. it was really thin cable, like string, with a dogclip on the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back