Safety Issues in the Theatre

or the poor man "audio ground lift"

I've got some of these floating around all are BRIGHT ORANGE and have Neon Electrical tape and stay stored in a secret bucket unless one is needed.

I use regular 3 prong edisons for anywhere i need power, unless for some reason i need another ground lift and i'm out of Direct Boxes.

I think that gaff was talking about how those cords should never be used, and thrown away.

Newest example - Community theatre I have recently come to was trying to fake a glass gobo - with overhead transparancy film and a standard computer printer. Worked for about 30 seconds.

Power strips in the rigging...

And not as much safety as a "well...****" - roadhouse I was working local crew for. Big overhead plaster dome (converted building). No problems in the past, and mid show a big chunk (~1 ft) suddenly dropped out. No heavy base, no big vibrations, just gave way. Unfortunately it was a packed house and it did hit someone. As far as I know she was fine (left via ambulance due to the bleeding head). Importance of periodic inspections...of everything.

Newest example - Community theatre I have recently come to was trying to fake a glass gobo - with overhead transparancy film and a standard computer printer. Worked for about 30 seconds.
It actually does work, but you need a little fan attachment thing to keep the transparency cool and you can't run the intensity above about 70.

I saw an electric run THROUGH the grid of a theatre because no one bothered to re-weight as they were pulling off instruments. The line got down to 2 instruments and then the break finally broke and the line shot like a rocket through the grid. The c-clamps on the two remaining instruments snapped and the fixtures fell to the stage leaving huge gouges. It was lucky that no one was hurt. As a result, I'm kind of a pain in the ass when it comes to re-weighting electrics during hangs/strikes.

or the poor man "audio ground lift"

I've got some of these floating around all are BRIGHT ORANGE and have Neon Electrical tape and stay stored in a secret bucket unless one is needed.

I use regular 3 prong edisons for anywhere i need power, unless for some reason i need another ground lift and i'm out of Direct Boxes.
You do realize that the safety ground and audio shield are two different things? While lifting an audio shield is a less than ideal but acceptable practice, breaking the safety ground path is an NEC violation, potentially deadly and not an acceptable practice. There may be extenuating circumstances but if you have severe ground loop problems have you considered trying to resolve the underlying problems rather than employing potentially unsafe 'band aids'?

It is ironic that devices intended specifically to provide a continuous safety ground path (connecting modern equipment utilizing a dedicated safety ground conductor to older power distribution systems that use the metallic conduit and boxes as the ground path) are so often improperly used for exactly the opposite purpose.

How many people out there actually check the flame certs on their soft goods? Obviously if you use IFR soft goods, it's not too much of a worry, but how many people are working in venues where they have "mystery fabric" hanging on stage?

I'm sure everyone uses fire retardant paint or coats lumber/paper with flamex right? :grin:

Couple the zip line and household extension cords from the previous posts with dry tinder on stage and you may be lighting your show real candle power, if you know what I mean!

If you have a pro active fire official/inspector, you may have been called on your soft goods and scenery, but there are also inspectors/officials who don't know all the ins and outs.

Regardless of the old saying "I've never had that happen and I've been here 30 years", there's a first time for everything, and I don't know about any one else here, but I rather make the headlines for the awesome show, not being the one who helped burn down the house!

Be safe,
Rich

Although I hate to admit it we have some pretty poor practices in the theatre, such as multiple people in the Genie at one time, striking some disposable set pieces by dropping them 30' from the first bridge, or not putting the safety back in the manual winch after we finish working. But one of may favorite events was when we decided build a 30' tree (40' to the grid) and after the show we decided to detach the chains and just push... made a loud bang and some of the lathing strips and burlap came off, so cleanup was a breeze.

All the Best,
RCF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back